I hope he isn't looking toward Nashville ...

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

I hope he isn't looking toward Nashville ...

Post by Versus75 »

... for another player.

John Calipari was on the local ESPN radio the other day in sort of a press conference with multiple sports personalities asking questions. Most concerned next year's UK Men's Basketball team: Is so-and-so going to stay in the NBA draft, which of the freshmen can start, and ... Is the SEC going to stick to its rule that blocks players from transferring from one conference team to another?

(I didn't know there was such a rule. Perhaps it is unwritten. It certainly does not apply to football coaches because they move from SEC school to SEC school like they are military brats. But it makes sense that the conference would not want its teams taking talent from each other.)

Calipari (paraphrasing): "I don't see how the SEC can keep doing that. This year the NCAA is letting everyone transfer. The SEC should be no different."

No specific names were mentioned.

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: I hope he isn't looking toward Nashville ...

Post by mathguy »

The more I think about this free transfer rule the more ridiculous it is.

Imagine if the NBA ran its business this way. Every player would be always on a 1-year contract, a free agent after every season, and there is no salary cap. That would be the rough equivalent of what we have here. That would be an absolute nightmare.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

I think that’s referring to Sahvir Wheeler, who transferred from Georgia. He could be a key player for Calipari.

BTW, for what it’s worth, I’ve heard virtually nothing about NBA interest in Scottie Pippen Jr. I think teams can start working out players after tonight (the deadline for declaring your eligibility for the draft) and will have until early July to convince teams of their value. I don’t think workouts will particularly help Scottie (they tend to benefit the less-skilled and longer/more athletic players), but interviews can be very important too and that may help him.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2021-nba-mock-draft/

Doesn't show up in either first or second round.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I think the intraconference transfer rule will almost certainly be changed in the next couple of weeks.
Versus75
Admiral

Seems as though ...

Post by Versus75 »

... if this kind of rule is to be changed it should be done after the end of the next season rather than two months into transfer portal activity. The SEC really dragged its heels on this one.

Kind of like the driver in front of me who won't make a right turn on red even though nobody is around. I don't honk at him because he is not required to make the turn. And then after a minute and a half -- as the light is about to turn green anyway -- he decides to go.

If the SEC decides to go with a change now, the conference has caused a few players to hold up on their plans or make other decisions.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

commadore wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:12 pm https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2021-nba-mock-draft/

That website suggests Pippen Jr. as a mid-second round choice in 2022. I think he needs to stay at Vanderbilt. Stackhouse's offense already centers on Pippen and there is no chance of being recruited over by some 5-star freshman.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2022-2nd-round/
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Versus75 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:06 pm
commadore wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:12 pm https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2021-nba-mock-draft/

That website suggests Pippen Jr. as a mid-second round choice in 2022. I think he needs to stay at Vanderbilt. Stackhouse's offense already centers on Pippen and there is no chance of being recruited over by some 5-star freshman.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2022-2nd-round/
I think you’re preaching to the choir here, Versus, but I’ll give you an amen!
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

mathguy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:00 pm The more I think about this free transfer rule the more ridiculous it is.

Imagine if the NBA ran its business this way. Every player would be always on a 1-year contract, a free agent after every season, and there is no salary cap. That would be the rough equivalent of what we have here. That would be an absolute nightmare.
Its funny because I agree that it would be an absolute nightmare compared to what we're used to historically. So that then brings me to try and understand why we should be so reverent of the status quo. I supposed that the contracts and free agency structures are supposed to institute some form of parity for the league.

However, I would argue that the NBA has the least parity in terms of who it has crowned champion for the last 40 years. Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Bulls, Pistons, Heat and Golden State have all won three or more championships since 1980 and they have won 35 of the 41 championships in that period. Houston has two and Philly, Dallas, Toronto and Cleveland all have one title. That is almost zilch for parity, especially when you consider the glut of titles won by the Lakers (11), Bulls (6) and Celtics (4) and that three teams have won half the titles in the last 40 years.

Contrast that with MLB and they have 15 teams winning titles in that period, so really not that much better. The NFL with 17 teams in that period, so a little better.

Parity in the NBA, and most sports, is really an allusion. I suppose there are other reasons that we should care about the status quo, but I can't come up with them right now. I think I'm just getting more and more to the place of not really caring where players want to play. I also don't quite understand why that business shouldn't be run like any other business in this country with employees being able to choose where they want to work. If I want to work in Miami then I can go find a job there. Why can't basketball players. That's more rhetorical than anything, but I think about it.
Versus75
Admiral

Here is a link:

Post by Versus75 »

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketb ... verturned/

FWIW: Wheeler, from Houston, lamented not seeing his parents due to Covid while he was in Georgia. So why transfer to Kentucky rather than somewhere in Texas?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Here is a link:

Post by OldDude »

Versus75 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:28 pm https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketb ... verturned/

FWIW: Wheeler, from Houston, lamented not seeing his parents due to Covid while he was in Georgia. So why transfer to Kentucky rather than somewhere in Texas?
Because that part of his rationale is BS ?
Versus75
Admiral

I can't think of his name, but a UT star ...

Post by Versus75 »

... basketball player transferred to Knoxville from Memphis because his mom or someone in the family was extremely ill and possibly dying. This was about 10 years ago.

I understand that part, but then why did he argue strongly to be allowed immediate eligibility? If he wanted to be close to Mom he should have told the coaches, "I can't be traveling all over SEC Country and wherever else the Vols are playing. I want to take this year off from basketball to be with my family. Then NEXT season I will be ready to kick bu||."

More BS, I presume.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: I can't think of his name, but a UT star ...

Versus75 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:35 pm ... basketball player transferred to Knoxville from Memphis because his mom or someone in the family was extremely ill and possibly dying. This was about 10 years ago.

I understand that part, but then why did he argue strongly to be allowed immediate eligibility? If he wanted to be close to Mom he should have told the coaches, "I can't be traveling all over SEC Country and wherever else the Vols are playing. I want to take this year off from basketball to be with my family. Then NEXT season I will be ready to kick bu||."

More BS, I presume.
I think it was Tyler Smith, who transferred from Iowa. And yes, he petitioned for and was granted immediate eligibility when transferring after he freshman year.
Versus75
Admiral

Yes. I was thinking of Tyler Smith

Post by Versus75 »

thx!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

SEC presidents voted to allow for immediate eligibility of all transfers today, including intraconference.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

mathguy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:00 pm The more I think about this free transfer rule the more ridiculous it is.

Truly the death of college sports. When all schools have Cals one and done policy, I am officially done as a fan.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

(1) It's not Calipari's. It's the NBA's. I suspect he would rather have them for more than 1 year, too. (2) There were 12 in 2020. Hardly enough for all 350 D-1 schools. (3) They now have the G-League option. (4) The NCAA can't do anything about it. They can't tell an athlete how long they have to be in school, or what to eat for breakfast. (5) There seems to be some thought the rule will change when the 2025 CBA is renegotiated.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:30 am (1) It's not Calipari's. It's the NBA's. I suspect he would rather have them for more than 1 year, too. (2) There were 12 in 2020. Hardly enough for all 350 D-1 schools. (3) They now have the G-League option. (4) The NCAA can't do anything about it. They can't tell an athlete how long they have to be in school, or what to eat for breakfast. (5) There seems to be some thought the rule will change when the 2025 CBA is renegotiated.
Agreed. In fairness to Cal, he is just trying to recruit the best players. If we could get them, we should take them too. But the best players just happen to be guys who are likely to leave for the NBA after a year because they were already ready.
Locked Previous topicNext topic