Yet Another Transfer

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Yet Another Transfer

Post by VUaskew »

Verbal Commits.com announcing that Braelee Albert will be transferring.

Not that torn up about it, but does anyone go to college for the education any more?

Vandamnit
Commander

Re: Yet Another Transfer

Post by Vandamnit »

Not sure if that opens up an additional scholarship (I think he was still on walk-on status, but I could be wrong). I liked his effort, but it is pretty likely we will find a player with at least similar skills. He came to us from Brown University (I think), so maybe he will end up at another strong academic school. Transfer #2 for him.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

He was a walk-on but may have used a scholly for one year a while back. Don't think it frees up one. I may be wrong.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Albert may have obtained his degree. Not sure but seems plausible.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Okay, I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times but how does having this many people start their college career at Vanderbilt but decide to transfer out before graduating impact the Academic Progress Rate? Does it matter if they graduate somewhere else?
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Albert didn't start his academic career at Vandy.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Do we even have a schollie left for next season?

There was a tweet very recently from a sportswriter that mentions this guy is leaving Wichita St. and Vandy was one of a half dozen or so schools he was interested in. He started out at UTEP, so his next stop apparently will be his third.

https://goshockers.com/sports/mens-bask ... -wade/5702

(sort of looks like Max Evans in Jordan Wright's size range)
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

cc11316 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:38 pm Okay, I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times but how does having this many people start their college career at Vanderbilt but decide to transfer out before graduating impact the Academic Progress Rate? Does it matter if they graduate somewhere else?
Have no idea as to the answer, but it seems under current transfer rules it makes no sense to even track the APR.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:57 am Do we even have a schollie left for next season?

There was a tweet very recently from a sportswriter that mentions this guy is leaving Wichita St. and Vandy was one of a half dozen or so schools he was interested in. He started out at UTEP, so his next stop apparently will be his third.

30% from three and 5.5 rebounds as a senior. Vandy would be his fourth school if I read right. Doesn't sound like a lot of help.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

OldDude wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:34 pm
cc11316 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:38 pm Okay, I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times but how does having this many people start their college career at Vanderbilt but decide to transfer out before graduating impact the Academic Progress Rate? Does it matter if they graduate somewhere else?
Have no idea as to the answer, but it seems under current transfer rules it makes no sense to even track the APR.
It's been a while since I've been in a college classroom but as I recall transferring to a different school wasn't a simple matter and often involved losing a lot of the credits in which you had taken at the current school. Assuming colleges haven't become more uniform and standardized in mapping credits from one institution to the next, doesn't it take longer to graduate this way?

Obviously, I'm assuming that the goal of attending college is to graduate and not just jump from school to school until your eligibility is completed ... maybe that logic is my problem. It just seems lose/lose if education actually has anything to do with college athletics.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Braelee was not on scholarship, so it may be he just wants to see if he can play somewhere where a school will pay for him to attend. (He's an excellent student, by the way.)

With Odusipe's recent departure, we'll either have one or two scholarships available depending on what Pippen does.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:57 am Do we even have a schollie left for next season?

Assuming he is academically eligible to attend VU, he isn't a bad option at the 3/4, probably for depth, as I don't know that he would be any better than Wright. His efficiency was better than Wright, but that is almost certainly due to Wright being asked to play an oversized role at the end of the season when Disu and Pippen were out for games. It is very likely he'll be a better option than Stute at the beginning of next season.
Locked Previous topicNext topic