Another transfer: Akeem Odusipe enters the portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Another transfer: Akeem Odusipe enters the portal

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

He played only 11 games last season as a freshman.

We hardly knew ye. Farewell, Akeem.

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 165329154/

commadore
Admiral

Re: Another transfer: Akeem Odusipe enters the portal

Post by commadore »

Akeem! What took you so long!
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I honestly forgot he was on the team. I wonder if it's because of the (hopefully) good center we got for 2022.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

He has or will be recruited over. Now let's get another 6'8" or 6'9" player. Enought guards!!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Is there not another Knox Catholic star that we had hoped to land ? This could hurt that recruitment.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

OldDude wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:32 pm Is there not another Knox Catholic star that we had hoped to land ? This could hurt that recruitment.
Yes. Presley Patterson (current 2022 commit) is from Knox Catholic and his teammate BJ Edwards (4 star PG) is a high target (though, he currently has 2 predictions to commit to UT).

https://247sports.com/player/bj-edwards-46086333/
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

Odusipe looked like a major project in his limited minutes. Good luck to him. Let's get a more SEC ready guy.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Patterson is a wasted scholly. Looks less athletic than Thomas. Already recruited over!
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Nashmann wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:19 pm He has or will be recruited over. Now let's get another 6'8" or 6'9" player. Enought guards!!!
He wasn't impressive as a freshman, but we have seen some of these raw athlete big men emerge as Juniors or Seniors. AO was certainly a "project" player, but at Vanderbilt we've seen plenty of those projects pay off.

It's hard to imagine anywhere he'd go that would result in him being a better player in three years than staying at Vanderbilt with Stackhouse and playing in the SEC.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

alathIN wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:52 pm
Nashmann wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:19 pm He has or will be recruited over. Now let's get another 6'8" or 6'9" player. Enought guards!!!
He wasn't impressive as a freshman, but we have seen some of these raw athlete big men emerge as Juniors or Seniors. AO was certainly a "project" player, but at Vanderbilt we've seen plenty of those projects pay off.

It's hard to imagine anywhere he'd go that would result in him being a better player in three years than staying at Vanderbilt with Stackhouse and playing in the SEC.
James Siakam comes to mind. Similar motor and athleticism, though not sure Odusipe has a comparable wingspan.
Gambit
Ensign

Post by Gambit »

I hope Presley Patterson proves me wrong, but from one of his highlight videos he looks like a spot up shooter with no lift and a low release point. Like a poor man’s Brandon Plavich. Nothing against spot up shooters; we’ve had success over the years with teams stocked with them. But could he get that shot off consistently in the SEC with a lot of length and athleticism in the league?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I totally understand the critiques of Patterson. However, I think none of us knows the specifics of his situation. For all we know he’s coming in as a preferred walk-on because he wants a VU degree. I don’t see any reason to hate on a committed student athlete.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:58 am I totally understand the critiques of Patterson. However, I think none of us knows the specifics of his situation. For all we know he’s coming in as a preferred walk-on because he wants a VU degree. I don’t see any reason to hate on a committed student athlete.
Nobody is hating on him. He just doesn't seem to fit the mold of other SEC guards and I don't think his game will get us to the next level. If he is a preferred walk-on then fine....
Gambit
Ensign

Post by Gambit »

I wasn’t hating on him. I hope he’s a huge success. I miss the days of players that have his apparent skill set being big contributors. I just doesn’t seem like that is where college hoops is these days.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Nashmann wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:17 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:58 am I totally understand the critiques of Patterson. However, I think none of us knows the specifics of his situation. For all we know he’s coming in as a preferred walk-on because he wants a VU degree. I don’t see any reason to hate on a committed student athlete.
Nobody is hating on him. He just doesn't seem to fit the mold of other SEC guards and I don't think his game will get us to the next level. If he is a preferred walk-on then fine....
If you were talking to him in-person, would you tell him he was a “wasted scholly” who is “Already recruited over” as you did above? Just seems unnecessary to say something like that about a guy who has committed to become a Commodore.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

He’ll probably come in, do well, then enter the transfer portal. 😉
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Nashmann wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:01 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:50 pm

If you were talking to him in-person, would you tell him he was a “wasted scholly” who is “Already recruited over” as you did above? Just seems unnecessary to say something like that about a guy who has committed to become a Commodore.
You are such a $#%$ This is a F'k message board!! Yes I would tell him!
So. You would say that to a 17-18 year old kid. And I’m the $#%$... ???
Whatever you say, man.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

You may or may not be bigger, but he is probably quicker than you and in better shape. If you tell him that he might pop you one in the chops before you could move. With your frequent abuse of other posters on this board, his actions would speak louder than your words.
Vandyfb1
Lieutenant

Post by Vandyfb1 »

I had high hopes for Akeem. When he did get a chance to play he played hard. I too thought he could be a taller James Siakam. But I see his side too, you need to play live game minutes to truly get developed and reach your potential. I hope he goes somewhere like ETSU and gets to play a lot.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

LawoftheWest wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:24 pm

You may or may not be bigger, but he is probably quicker than you and in better shape. If you tell him that he might pop you one in the chops before you could move. With your frequent abuse of other posters on this board, his actions would speak louder than your words.
ok...this is a message board. Let me apologize. It is just my opinion he won't fare well. I hope he is world-class and dominates for 4 years. I would have told him Belmont or Lipscomb would be a better choice if he wanted to play more. I am NOT hating on him just being realistic from the film I have seen. We already have a Thomas who is more athletic.
Last edited by Nashmann on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Locked Previous topicNext topic