Disu commits to Texas

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Disu commits to Texas

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

No surprise there. Best of luck, but I will miss seeing you play for Vandy.

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: Disu commits to Texas

Post by VUaskew »

I’d like to say I wish him the best....
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

VUaskew wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:00 pm I’d like to say I wish him the best....
I think, for the most part, these types of transfers are not in a young person's interest. The "if something is difficult... just quit" methodology of life does not serve one well. But he's young and ignorant, like most anyone else that age.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

I’d like to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and say it has been a tough year for everyone and he just wanted to be closer to home.

On the other hand, I’d also like to see Texas investigated for tampering...
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I feel for Stack, the program has been pillaged of all the players that were any good. Better learn how to play this transfer portal game...quickly! It’s going to all change.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Starkiller wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:02 pm I’d like to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and say it has been a tough year for everyone and he just wanted to be closer to home.

On the other hand, I’d also like to see Texas investigated for tampering...
^^THIS is the part that makes it most difficult. I get a sense that he was “heavily recruited”
NateSY
Captain

Post by NateSY »

Texas fans knowing he committed before he even entered the portal has me displeased with Texas.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I live about 30 miles from Austin. The arrogance of the Texas fans far exceeds that of Tennessee fans, although Texas is a much better school academically. Texas alumni and fans, plus local sportswriters, think Texas is entitled to everything. They should have first shot at every high school football and basketball player in Texas.

Texas lost to Kentucky in the NCAA volleyball finals. Their response seems to be that they should have won, as they were the better team. It is like that in all of their sports. They are sort of like the KY basketball fans, although not as stupid.

Their own TV network is a huge money maker. They could afford to buy out their football coach with the TV money in the bank. On and on. I don't like them, but I understand that Tennessee fans rub Vandy fans in Nashville the wrong way. That is my rant for today.
AirForceDore
Rear Admiral

Post by AirForceDore »

I do wish him the best. I wish TX nothing but the worst. When I was stationed there I saw first hand the arrogance of their fans. Tennessee fans are nothing compared to them. Disu probably grew up a TX fan and had an opportunity to go there that he didnt have before. I hate it for Vandy, but I blame the NCAA for all of this crap. Unfortunately I think this will soon become the norm.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I think this past COVID year has really taken a toll. Many of the parents couldn't come see their kids play, the kids missed so many games when there was a positive case, just all the uncertainty..... I think there is a feeling of not knowing what might hit next and grabbing what they think is a better opportunity. Disu had the injury, too. I also think Texas didn't play clean on this one.

I watched the volleyball finals with a houseguest who is a huge UTexas fan and alum. During the game he admitted that Texas wasn't playing their best at all and didn't deserve to win, so there's that. He is ecstatic about Chris Beard, though, and doesn't seem bothered by the poaching of our player.
vandyhank
Lieutenant

Post by vandyhank »

I live in Austin and graduated from both Vandy and Texas.
Disu grew up in the Austin area and says he always wanted to go to Texas, but was not recruited by the old staff. Texas it paying its new basketball coach (Beard) over 5 million $/yr. That's more than its new football coach is paid. It's amazing for a school that is not a traditional basketball school.
I don't claim to know any other details about Disu.
Texas is loading up on transfer talent.
I know lots of players are transferring for lots of different reasons that the head coach can't control. But if more good players are leaving than coming it's only fair to look at coaching.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

vandyhank wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:52 am I know lots of players are transferring for lots of different reasons that the head coach can't control. But if more good players are leaving than coming it's only fair to look at coaching.
Please...it’s pretty darn obvious that Disu benefited from the coaching he received at VU. If anything it bit the coaching staff in the rear ends because it’s the only reason he got poached by Texas.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

This one really wreaks.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

frustrating for VU...wish him the best going forward

certainly suspicious as to how this recruitment occurred...nevertheless, kids have a right to move on and this appears to be the new "normal"...don't think that this bodes well for VU going forward

it is remarkable how an excellent public academic institution can bring about so much self-induced (and well deserved) dislike by fans near and far. Arrogance is an ugly thing
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

buffy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 pm
I think, for the most part, these types of transfers are not in a young person's interest. The "if something is difficult... just quit" methodology of life does not serve one well. But he's young and ignorant, like most anyone else that age.
I don't know that he is leaving because something is "tough". Its just a better program/team/coach right where he grew up. But I do generally agree that transferring is often not in a student-athlete's best interest. This is a case where I can see why he went there. But 95% of the time, these things don't work out on most of the fronts.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

vandy05 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:42 pm
buffy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 pm
I don't know that he is leaving because something is "tough". Its just a better program/team/coach right where he grew up. But I do generally agree that transferring is often not in a student-athlete's best interest. This is a case where I can see why he went there. But 95% of the time, these things don't work out on most of the fronts.
This whole thing feels a lot like the Shelton Jeter situation.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

When athlete A chooses to attend school B, maybe we should come up with a verb other than "commit" to describe the process.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Good luck in Austin Dylan Disu, I will miss seeing you progress as a Commodore but happy that you have the freedom and opportunity to pursue your ambition as a basketball player wherever you choose. That's how it should be IMHO.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I apologize that my response here is somewhat late. A few days ago a writer for the Austin newspaper wrote: "In a move that was expected for weeks, Vanderbilt forward Dylan Disu - a local product from Hendrickson - is transferring to Texas."

To me this means there was some level of communication well before Disu entered the transfer portal. It is not clear who originated the communication, whether it was Beard or Disu. Maybe even a friend Disu has at Texas. Was this tampering? Possibly. We will never know.

However, the facts are that Smart did not recruit Disu out of high school, even though he is from the Austin area. Apparently Disu wanted to go to Texas. But, no offer. So, to Disu Vandy was a great choice. Then, he developed into a better player than anticipated. Texas then hired Beard, who is known for taking in a lot of transfers. To Disu, it must have seemed to be a golden opportunity, to return home, to a team he originally wanted to play for, and to enter a program with a winning coach, several very good players and lots of resources, including the Longhorn network where during every game Disu could be seen by family and friends. With the new transfer rules, to Disu it must have seemed to be a no brainer.

My point is that I conclude there is nothing our coach could have done to keep Disu. He was gone in any case.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

For some of the transfers, there may be a solid reason for leaving, playing time or being closer to home. But for many, I think a lot of these young men and women like, and miss, the recruiting process. Being the center of attention.
Locked Previous topicNext topic