Transfer Portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Transfer Portal

Post by LawoftheWest »

According to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, at that time over 28% of D-1 basketball players had entered the transfer portal. By now, it may be more than 30%.

So, why do players enter the transfer portal? Some reasons that come to mind are:
1. More playing time.
2. Move to a program with a better record.
3. Dissatisfaction with the coach, the assistants, the doctor, the trainer, etc.
4. Unhappy with the school.
5. Academics.
6. Reunite with friends.

It seems to me that the power in athletics has shifted from the coach to the players. If they don't like his coaching, his style, his demeanor, the coaching system, their role, and more, they are out. The power of the coach to demand compliance with what he or she requires, is substantially diminished.

Also, we don't know how much is the result of "poaching", where a coach contacts players on other teams to come play for him/her. Now, I believe that is a violation, but hard for the NCAA to prove.

Where does this all go? I sure don't know. But, college sports are changing.

In another thread, someone wrote that an electrical engineering student is free to transfer, why not athletes? How many EE (or other majors) students actually transfer? Not many I believe. What is the 5 year graduation rate at Vandy? Something over 90% of incoming freshmen graduate from Vandy within those 5 years. That tells me that not many students transfer out.

Junnah
Commander

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Junnah »

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

LawoftheWest wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:49 pm According to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, at that time over 28% of D-1 basketball players had entered the transfer portal. By now, it may be more than 30%.

So, why do players enter the transfer portal? Some reasons that come to mind are:
1. More playing time.
3. Dissatisfaction with the coach, the assistants, the doctor, the trainer, etc.
5. Academics.
6. Reunite with friends.

It seems to me that the power in athletics has shifted from the coach to the players. If they don't like his coaching, his style, his demeanor, the coaching system, their role, and more, they are out. The power of the coach to demand compliance with what he or she requires, is substantially diminished.

Also, we don't know how much is the result of "poaching", where a coach contacts players on other teams to come play for him/her. Now, I believe that is a violation, but hard for the NCAA to prove.

Where does this all go? I sure don't know. But, college sports are changing.

In another thread, someone wrote that an electrical engineering student is free to transfer, why not athletes? How many EE (or other majors) students actually transfer? Not many I believe. What is the 5 year graduation rate at Vandy? Something over 90% of incoming freshmen graduate from Vandy within those 5 years. That tells me that not many students transfer out.
I think those are probably the majority of reasons and probably in the order of which are most likely.

Isn't the transfer situation also exacerbated this year because of the one year ruling allowing players to transfer without sitting out a year? I actually don't think its that crazy that one-third of players would want to transfer from their school in any given year, but that sitting out penalty is a steep one and probably deters many transfers.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

Probably leaves out the most important reason, especially for high-performing, impact players: increase in salary/benefits. The under-the-table $$$ potential for cash-induced transfers must be HUGE, in total probably exceeding the GDP of many third-world countries.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

PeteFox wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:32 am Probably leaves out the most important reason, especially for high-performing, impact players: increase in salary/benefits. The under-the-table $$$ potential for cash-induced transfers must be HUGE, in total probably exceeding the GDP of many third-world countries.
Life imitates art.

"Gave a kid a house, gave a kid a tractor...."
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

LawoftheWest wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:49 pm According to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, at that time over 28% of D-1 basketball players had entered the transfer portal. By now, it may be more than 30%.

1. More playing time.
5. Academics.
6. Reunite with friends.

Unfortunately for us, the academics-related transfer seems always to be to a school with LOWER academic standards. Does any athlete, ever, transfer from school A to school B because academics wasn't challenging enough at school A?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

geeznotagain wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:45 pm

1. More playing time.
5. Academics.
6. Reunite with friends.

Unfortunately for us, the academics-related transfer seems always to be to a school with LOWER academic standards. Does any athlete, ever, transfer from school A to school B because academics wasn't challenging enough at school A?
Fair point, though it’s also hard to transfer to a more rigorous academic school than VU if you go by the rankings on such things. I think that is what so many of us are feeling frustrated by in this whole situation. It just feels less and less like we are watching “student athletes” every year. It makes a mockery of the whole concept of college sports. Baseball system has it right. Commit to school or move along. Problem is that MLB has always had a robust farm system, whereas the others want to use the NCAA for that purpose.

It is a little hard to fault the players. As the saying goes: Hate the game, not the player.

It is very hard not to feel jaded by losing so many exceptional players over the last few years with little to show for it. This one is just the straw breaking our collective backs. And we aren’t even that directly affected by it; just imagine what the coaches and other players must be feeling!
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:37 pm
geeznotagain wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:45 pm

1. More playing time.
5. Academics.
6. Reunite with friends.

Fair point, though it’s also hard to transfer to a more rigorous academic school than VU if you go by the rankings on such things. I think that is what so many of us are feeling frustrated by in this whole situation. It just feels less and less like we are watching “student athletes” every year. It makes a mockery of the whole concept of college sports. Baseball system has it right. Commit to school or move along. Problem is that MLB has always had a robust farm system, whereas the others want to use the NCAA for that purpose.

It is a little hard to fault the players. As the saying goes: Hate the game, not the player.

It is very hard not to feel jaded by losing so many exceptional players over the last few years with little to show for it. This one is just the straw breaking our collective backs. And we aren’t even that directly affected by it; just imagine what the coaches and other players must be feeling!
No crying for those coaches from me. They've always had the ability to walk and are only as loyal as required to keep the job and recruit. Always an eye on the next best thing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic