What will it now take to be regarded as a successful college basketball coach?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

What will it now take to be regarded as a successful college basketball coach?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I was thinking about this even before the latest news of Dylan Disu transferring.

Whereas we generally praised and lauded coaches for being both winners and program builders, it seems like we are seeing a complete reinvention of what it takes to be a "successful" college basketball coach. I know these are the COVID times, but it feels like wholesale roster turnover will more the rule rather than the exception even after the pandemic. There will be a premium on retention skills, one-year recruiting of high school and transfer players, and roster management like never before.

What do you think? What kinds of coaches will be successful in the future under the new paradigm? Is it any different from the past?

VUJET
Commander

Re: What will it now take to be regarded as a successful college basketball coach?

Post by VUJET »

I haven't posted in years and maybe that's because I stopped watching college basketball a few years ago. The rosters of NBA teams have more stability than that of the college teams. I watch and follow the Grizzlies and doubt that I will ever see another Vandy game (unless they play the Tigers in Memphis).
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: What will it now take to be regarded as a successful college basketball coach?

Post by mathguy »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:50 pm
What do you think? What kinds of coaches will be successful in the future under the new paradigm? Is it any different from the past?
It makes me cry to say this, but ... coaches like John Calipari.

Aside from the many things that you can criticize him for (and after this last year, you'll even get some UK fans to join you), but he has long talked about his "players first" approach. He can hold them accountable because he wins and there is some built in trust from his reputation, and that helps, but he puts players into position to be successful, he doesn't begrudge or slam guys that leave the program but rather cheerleads for them a little bit, rather then forcing players into his system, he tries to show off the players' skills, and he never aims to keep them at UK if they are ready to leave.

Players like him, trust him to help them get ready for their next stop, and know that he will always talk well of them when they leave.

I think, at least superficially, this also sounds like Bryce Drew ... only Drew pretty authoritatively proved he lacked the coaching chops to go alongside his personality.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

VUJET wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:20 pm I haven't posted in years and maybe that's because I stopped watching college basketball a few years ago. The rosters of NBA teams have more stability than that of the college teams. I watch and follow the Grizzlies and doubt that I will ever see another Vandy game (unless they play the Tigers in Memphis).
This transfer portal that has taken on a life of its own makes free agency at the pro level look like a model of stability.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

mathguy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:44 pm
I don't think that's a bad thought at all. Calipari will have a string of good--sometimes even great--seasons, even with the constant roster turnover, but then have a bad one (2013, 2021) when things just never come together. I think that's going to be the rule rather than the exception for even the best coaches.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

So much for hiring a coach whose most prominent qualification seemed to be player development.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

mathguy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:44 pm

Aside from the many things that you can criticize him for (and after this last year, you'll even get some UK fans to join you), but he has long talked about his "players first" approach. He can hold them accountable because he wins and there is some built in trust from his reputation, and that helps, but he puts players into position to be successful, he doesn't begrudge or slam guys that leave the program but rather cheerleads for them a little bit, rather then forcing players into his system, he tries to show off the players' skills, and he never aims to keep them at UK if they are ready to leave.

Players like him, trust him to help them get ready for their next stop, and know that he will always talk well of them when they leave.

I think, at least superficially, this also sounds like Bryce Drew ... only Drew pretty authoritatively proved he lacked the coaching chops to go alongside his personality.
If this correct we just might have the right coach with the perfect background (G league) where players come and go like planes in Atlanta, but he needs to perfect the art of recruiting high school and other college kids. I am saddened by all this.
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

I'm a Vanderbilt fan, I'm a student athlete fan, I'm a college basketball fan and somewhere in the middle of all of this things don't seem to be fitting together correctly with me. Maybe the struggle is because "its not like it use to be", or even "we've never done it this way before". I'm a bit at war with myself because I NEVER like using those phrases, and don't accept them as answers at my work or personal life.

The simple answer to this question is we probably don't know the answer yet. Covid, one and done, transfer portal, seemingly less loyalty from almost everyone! How to navigate all of this feels like trying to hit a moving target because what I would of considered successful coaching 10 years ago doesn't fit today. What makes it worse in my mind is that successful coaching probably has changed multiple times over the previous 10 years, and probably 10 months.

I know several people that have either given up watching, or are at the place of not planning to watch until things get better. I honestly understand those feelings, and can't find much fault with people coming to this decision. I'm loyal, heck I'm loyal to a fault, and I don't think anyone in my life would ever say anything different about me. I plan to keep watching. I plan to cheer, know I will be heart broken, yet love every moment when the next "wow" moment happens for Vandy Basketball! I will buy my season tickets, encourage friends and family to come with me and cheer, laugh, or even be annoyed with some refereeing (ok probably yell at a few of those refs).

I am afraid that many Universities are going to be forced to award scholarships on a year by year basis. It may never be called that, but coaches will probably become even less loyal to their players because to survive they will have to "guess" how many will leave the program each season. Does this not mean that they will have to have more guys offered each year than possible? Ok I guess that isn't possible, but it feels that these "successful coaches" will have to continue to change what they do/how they do with recruiting and retention on a yearly basis.

I want to win again! I want to feel like we have a good chance every season to make it to the tourney, upset some better teams, and hopefully not lose to the teams we shouldn't. There are so many things I wish I could "wake up" from this change in life. Reality is that its 2021, and I want whoever our "successful coaches" are to grow and learn how to navigate these times. I plan to be in my seat, and I'm planning for a positive future enjoying Vandy Basketball with my 1 year old grandson. It's a family thing, we raise Vanderbilt Commodore fans, and I'm excited because we will be there celebrating the next big victory!!!
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Changing climate.

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

The transfer portal has accelerated the lie that a number of Power 5 kids come to schools to get an education. I've always believed that the football cultures at many schools actually prevented many of these kids to get an education. Basketball seemed to be a slightly different culture in many places. That seems to have gone out the window, too.

It's a different world today. The need for instant gratification, fewer regulations, and less enforcement are plowing a dangerous path.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the super conference appetite come to major college athletics sooner rather than later.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

ymtn64 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:58 pm I'm a Vanderbilt fan, I'm a student athlete fan, I'm a college basketball fan and somewhere in the middle of all of this things don't seem to be fitting together correctly with me. Maybe the struggle is because "its not like it use to be", or even "we've never done it this way before". I'm a bit at war with myself because I NEVER like using those phrases, and don't accept them as answers at my work or personal life.

The simple answer to this question is we probably don't know the answer yet. Covid, one and done, transfer portal, seemingly less loyalty from almost everyone! How to navigate all of this feels like trying to hit a moving target because what I would of considered successful coaching 10 years ago doesn't fit today. What makes it worse in my mind is that successful coaching probably has changed multiple times over the previous 10 years, and probably 10 months.

I know several people that have either given up watching, or are at the place of not planning to watch until things get better. I honestly understand those feelings, and can't find much fault with people coming to this decision. I'm loyal, heck I'm loyal to a fault, and I don't think anyone in my life would ever say anything different about me. I plan to keep watching. I plan to cheer, know I will be heart broken, yet love every moment when the next "wow" moment happens for Vandy Basketball! I will buy my season tickets, encourage friends and family to come with me and cheer, laugh, or even be annoyed with some refereeing (ok probably yell at a few of those refs).

I am afraid that many Universities are going to be forced to award scholarships on a year by year basis. It may never be called that, but coaches will probably become even less loyal to their players because to survive they will have to "guess" how many will leave the program each season. Does this not mean that they will have to have more guys offered each year than possible? Ok I guess that isn't possible, but it feels that these "successful coaches" will have to continue to change what they do/how they do with recruiting and retention on a yearly basis.

I want to win again! I want to feel like we have a good chance every season to make it to the tourney, upset some better teams, and hopefully not lose to the teams we shouldn't. There are so many things I wish I could "wake up" from this change in life. Reality is that its 2021, and I want whoever our "successful coaches" are to grow and learn how to navigate these times. I plan to be in my seat, and I'm planning for a positive future enjoying Vandy Basketball with my 1 year old grandson. It's a family thing, we raise Vanderbilt Commodore fans, and I'm excited because we will be there celebrating the next big victory!!!
I have a simple way to deal with this complex college basketball situation.

I plan to pull for whoever our team is. If it's Jordan Wright and Trey Thomas plus three transfers out there... that is who I will pull for. I pulled for VU when the walk-on Bralee Albert was starting two seasons ago. Thus, it make more sense not to freak out over Disu. For me it does anyway.
Locked Previous topicNext topic