TCU F Terren Frank transferring to VU

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

TCU F Terren Frank transferring to VU

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

6-8 235 lb. PF was a bigtime recruit coming out of Sierra Canyon HS in LA (same high school as Scotty Pippen Jr.) but did not have a productive freshman season. He'll have three seasons of eligibility remaining. Father Tellis played at WKU.

https://gofrogs.com/sports/mens-basketb ... rank/11600

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Re: TCU F Terren Frank transferring from TCU to VU

Post by underdog74 »

VU will need him to be much more productive than he was last season for TCU. Hopefully the change of scenery is what he needs.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: TCU F Terren Frank transferring to VU

I'd love to know what Frank's personal relationship is with Pippen, having played with him at Sierra Canyon. I hope it's something--even a minor thing--that Scotty would take into account in his decision whether to turn pro, transfer, or return to Vandy.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Auric, you took the words out of my mouth. Hopefully they were REALLY close and Pippen would enjoy being with him again.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Interesting to note:

His father in college, went from 3.9ppg as a freshman to 18ppg as a senior.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Frank was a freshman in 2020-2021. He did not have a redshirt year. Since all players got an extra year of eligibility, he should have a total of 5 years which leaves 4 years remaining.

While that doesn't mean Vanderbilt must keep him on scholarship, if we have a place for him in school and want him on the team Frank could be a 4-year guy for us.

I see from the Rivals site that Vanderbilt offered Terren Frank out of high school and he also had offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Southern Cal and others.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Immediately available? Or sit a year?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

My understanding is that NCAA adopted the new rule that first time transfers are immediately eligible for all sports. Anyone, please correct me if this is untrue.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:14 pm 6-8 235 lb. PF was a bigtime recruit coming out of Sierra Canyon HS in LA (same high school as Scotty Pippen Jr.) but did not have a productive freshman season. He'll have three seasons of eligibility remaining. Father Tellis played at WKU.

https://gofrogs.com/sports/mens-basketb ... rank/11600
Not sure what to make of this - his rate stats are pretty dismal, but his playing time so limited that one would be cautioned against making any sort of projection from it. The thing that gives pause is that he did have 4 games in the middle of the conference season where he played 20, 25, 13, and 20 minutes respectively, and in those 78 minutes grabbed 8 total rebounds, which is not great for a 6'-8" player.

Again, small sample sizes and all, but hopefully there is some extenuating factors, otherwise we probably shouldn't expect him to set the world on fire.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:22 pm My understanding is that NCAA adopted the new rule that first time transfers are immediately eligible for all sports. Anyone, please correct me if this is untrue.
He and all other first-time undergraduate transfers are immediately eligible.
Vandy5
Ensign

Post by Vandy5 »

Battled CoVid at TCU. High School highlights show him to play more like a 3. Shoots well, good handle for size.
Versus75
Admiral

In effect, then ...

Post by Versus75 »

... we traded one year of Maxwell Evans for 3-4 years of Terren Frank. That sounds like a good deal for Vanderbilt.

TCU has lost at least five backup forwards (7.0-19.5 mpg) to the transfer portal and will likely lose its top scorer, Andrew R.J. Nembhard, who is a projected NBA draft pick.
Last edited by Versus75 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

With all due respect to Frank - never want to hate on a guy who is committed to VU - this one does surprise me somewhat. With Pippen’s potential departure, I figured staff might look to use the last scholarship to secure a true PG from the transfer portal. Perhaps getting a former HS teammate of Pippen who was initially recruited to VU along with Scotty is a good sign... Fingers crossed, but if Scotty doesn’t return, this team has a pretty glaring hole at arguably the most important position on the team. Trey Thomas surprised many of us this season, I think, but I don’t think he’s ready for primary ball-handler duties, and Jordan Wright works better off the ball, too.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: In effect, then ...

Versus75 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:40 pm

TCU has lost at least five backup forwards (7.0-19.5 mpg) to the transfer portal and will likely lose its top scorer, Andrew Nembhard, who is a projected NBA draft pick.
Andrew is at Gonzaga. You may be thinking of RJ Nembhard (who was indeed the Frogs' leading scorer.)
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:19 pm With all due respect to Frank - never want to hate on a guy who is committed to VU - this one does surprise me somewhat. With Pippen’s potential departure, I figured staff might look to use the last scholarship to secure a true PG from the transfer portal. Perhaps getting a former HS teammate of Pippen who was initially recruited to VU along with Scotty is a good sign... Fingers crossed, but if Scotty doesn’t return, this team has a pretty glaring hole at arguably the most important position on the team. Trey Thomas surprised many of us this season, I think, but I don’t think he’s ready for primary ball-handler duties, and Jordan Wright works better off the ball, too.
I think that if we need a backup to Pippen (who will play 80% of the time if he returns) that Chatman will probably be a serviceable (if not long term) solution for us next season.
Vandy5
Ensign

Post by Vandy5 »

Little grounding exercise

Last 4 years overall 41-80
SEC 12-58

That’s what Stack is working with.

He got the 5th rated transfer available according to CBS sports in a 7’1 big man
A 2 year starting guard from a much better team
A 4 star recruit wanted by higher profile programs that battled CoVid his freshman year

He has a 4 and 5 star recruit lined up the year after

What he’s done is almost miraculous, he’s deserves his props. And our program should be grateful every one of these young men are coming here because I guarantee you they ALL had higher profile options
jimmybenton
Seaman

Re: TCU F TERREN FRANK

Post by jimmybenton »

I am shocked and sickened reading the comment from VUaskew/Rear Admiral.

Is this from an adult or a bully in middle school? Don't you think this kid has
probably heard this most of his life and then an adult thinks he is funny by
bringing attention to this. SHAME ON YOU!!!!! What a pathetic thing to say.
What if this were your child...and where is the class that comes with most
Vandy fans?

It would have been so kind to give him a WELCOME TO VU or some encouraging
word.

Really disappointed, surely you can do better than this.

VU#
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

VUaskew wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:35 pm
Besides, what's not to like about a guy whose left eye sits an inch higher than his right?
I noticed that in the picture of him spinning the Nike ball on one finger.

I also noticed he is big enough to easily engrave your forehead with the Nike logo from that ball. :lol: :lol:
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

VUaskew wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:35 pm Last year was probably an outlier for a lot of players. He's a big body if nothing else.

Besides, what's not to like about a guy whose left eye sits an inch higher than his right? :lol: :lol:
This post makes you look like a total jerk.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Yeah, because the locker room is a safe, tranquil environment from being ragged on about much worse things from his teammates.

Also, isn't this the place where we post pictures of other players and then try to state who they remind us of?

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Frank. In fact, if you bothered to get off your moral high-horses, my first comment was to talk about how I think he would be a good add to the team.

Jeez. Maybe some of the moral police on here should think about how they voted before they go casting stones.

If you don't like my post, scroll on, otherwise buy a jar of Icy Hot.

Jimmy Benton, you can stick your shame. I have the ability to laugh at myself, and who's to say Terren doesn't either?

Again, if you good people want to look after the plight of young black men, reconsider how you vote and what causes you support.
Last edited by VUaskew on Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Locked Previous topicNext topic