What worries me

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

kay1092
Commander

What worries me

Post by kay1092 »

Is that we can't seem to keep our best players...

And we aren't good enough to lose them to the NBA and transfer portals. Interesting times indeed. I remember a time when people stayed for 4 years in college at the same school. Not anymore. They go wherever the wind blows.

Best of luck to Scottie, he played his heart out but he's not ready for NBA yet he needed another year or two.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: What worries me

Post by charlestonalum »

Well with pay to play headed our way for these amateur athletes in college sports, things are really changing. If we think it is a mess now...
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

It feels like the program is caught in an eternal doom loop now, forever cursed by season-ending injuries and defections to the NBA without a single thing to show for it. It's frustrating as hell. Stack has got to find a way to build back the program and not just a team.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Of course, the thing is ... defections to the NBA mean you have good players. This is supposed to be something that means we are a good team.

I think Pippen Jr will get drafted. This means we're going to produce ... 4 NBA draftees in 3 years ... and do it without ever posting a winning record? Or heck, ever being in the top twelve in our own conference!!

How is that possible?!? I know Garland and Nesmith had the injuries but...
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

I guess the attraction to the NBA is money. I never had any interest in watching Pro basketball in the least. It is BORING!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

None of the well known draft sites show Pippen getting drafted.... this year.

One says he is the #6 point guard for 2022 draft. Another lists the top 109 prospects for the upcoming draft and Pippen is not listed. I wouldn't worry about it until July. Then if he goes and we didn't grab a replacement from the portal, perhaps worry at that point.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Although it is possible, off hand I can't think of any players who declared for the draft then withdrew their names.

If Scotty (although recruited by Bryce Drew) comes into the program as a 3-star and Stack coaches him to an NBA draftee in two seasons, that's a good sign for future recruits.

The first wave of transfer portal players -- Max, Clevon, Ejike -- didn't affect our scholarship limit, but Harvey, Issac and Scotty leaving give us openings for transfers or new incoming freshman. Probably not a lot of top freshmen available, though.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

That is what is very bad about college basketball, the NBA keeps a school from ever keeping a good player, I know that it is a young mans dream to play in the pros but he should have to complete 3 years or be 21 just like baseball.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

The ease of entering the transfer portal, good chance of not sitting a year after transferring, possibility of pay to play in college and the lure of the NBA will be the death of mid to low power 5 teams. I don’t know what the answer would be that keeps the process fair to players and keeps the schools competitive but something will need to change. I saw Dickie V tweet something to that effect and the comments raked him over the coals about how coaches can leave a program with no consequence so the players should too. It’s going to be an interesting few years seeing how this works out but it might also be painful to try to rebuild a program.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

i'm (finally) starting to lose interest in the whole mess....never thought i'd get to this point!
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

There are seats in Memorial Gym in which no one has sat in maybe 8 years, and at this point I really do have to wonder if anyone will ever sit in them ever again.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

janvandy66 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:15 pm...he should have to complete 3 years or be 21 just like baseball.
Even 2 years would be better, provide some continuity. I like MLB's rule. Directly from high school or 3 years.

I disagree with the criticism that blames college coaches from signing one-and-done. They have to, if they want elite players. It's the NBA's fault. I doubt if any coach wouldn't prefer 2 or 3.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

An old friend and I used to get so hype for basketball season. We never missed a home game at Memorial. I am becoming so disinterested in the state of college basketball, and Vandy in particular. As fans, it is impossible to become invested in the program with the constant revolving door of players and roster turnover.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

The baseball rule, frankly, is what will keep college basketball alive, otherwise it is a slippery slope.

What a different world. Sports and coaching is now a business of its own. Top and even secondary pro leagues , huge coaching staffs at the college, high school and even personal coaches at all levels have helped create jobs for many, many more people than ever before.

Wonder if 10 years from now we are in a league with Wash U rather than Ole Miss...time will tell...
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Wow, would I love to see the baseball rule put into place for basketball. Sadly, I think it's more likely that baseball changes their rule than basketball adding it. Feels like some whippersnapper is going to come along and have a great freshman season that would put them in the first round of the draft only to be told that they can't go pro, and they sue saying that it's unconstitutional to deny someone the right to make a living. Fl@g
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

underdog74 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:34 am An old friend and I used to get so hype for basketball season. We never missed a home game at Memorial. I am becoming so disinterested in the state of college basketball, and Vandy in particular. As fans, it is impossible to become invested in the program with the constant revolving door of players and roster turnover.
Same here - have had season tickets since 2005 up until this past season and wouldn't even think about leaving a game early until 2019. Didn't really miss it and it is difficult to get the kids into it because we have been so bad for an extended period of time. Really looking like next year will be a repeat of either this year or the previous season without Pippen and almost no depth that has any experience with us. It would be one thing if we at least had great players who were coming in every season, but that is not he case. It is sad to think about how much I used to enjoy this, but I gain little pleasure watching futility and definitely have better things to do with my time.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

Maybe if schools have to start paying kids, these kids sign a contract which would be more binding than a NOI. It would also allow a transfer but only if the other school buys out the contract, just like coaches and NBA players. If they want to be paid like the pros, make them commit to a timeframe like the pros do.
Locked Previous topicNext topic