Scotty Pippen Jr. Declares for Draft

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Scotty Pippen Jr. Declares for Draft

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Oh well. That certainly changes things. What do I know, but I think he could have used another year. I'm sure he got good advice.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Scotty Pippen Jr. Declares for Draft

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

He is not signing with an agent and will retain his eligibility, so at least there's that.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Scotty, thanks for your contributions to Vanderbilt basketball. Sorry you didn’t have more team success and had to play in mostly empty arenas. You deserved better.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:38 am He is not signing with an agent and will retain his eligibility, so at least there's that.
When is the draft and when will we learn his fate?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:53 am
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:38 am He is not signing with an agent and will retain his eligibility, so at least there's that.
When is the draft and when will we learn his fate?
The NBA draft is July 29, and the deadline to withdraw is July 19.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Not surprised to see him test the waters. Not listed in ESPN’s top 100 draft prospects. I hope he decides to return, but obviously also want whatever is best for him, too. It’s hard to argue with a kid pursuing his dreams. I’m sure he will have plenty of advisors with his best interest in mind - probably even more so than if he were hiring an agent.
It sure seems like he could use another year of physical development - nowhere near the athlete Saben Lee is, for example. Still, hard to argue with the stats he put up this season as indicative of next-level potential.
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

I honestly think it’s a good decision for him, go test the waters, get evaluated, see where you stand. If he doesn’t like his draft projection he comes back. It’s a good learning opportunity for him at the very least, he will find out what he needs to improve on, or he will get a high projection possibly and declare, nothing to lose for him so can’t blame him one bit. Selfishly I hope he chooses to come back but ultimately I hope he does what is best for him.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

As Rexrode pointed out, his message was framed as a goodbye to Vanderbilt, so maybe even if he comes back to college ball, it might not be to Vanderbilt. That would really hurt.
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

Bummer - wonder what Disu is going to do. Looks like plenty of immediate SEC playing time available at Vanderbilt.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Sorry, but very foolish decision considering the assuredly higher rep and draft status after next season. Hope he returns.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:23 pm As Rexrode pointed out, his message was framed as a goodbye to Vanderbilt, so maybe even if he comes back to college ball, it might not be to Vanderbilt. That would really hurt.
So how would that work? Has NCAA granted immediate eligibility for all transfers?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:23 pm As Rexrode pointed out, his message was framed as a goodbye to Vanderbilt, so maybe even if he comes back to college ball, it might not be to Vanderbilt. That would really hurt.
Sounds implausible unless he also entered the transfer portal during this COVID year.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

It seemed like we were well stocked at guard. Now it seems we will be short handed, especially at point guard. :shock:

I can't remember if we signed a point guard for this upcoming year, especially one who can step right in and play at SEC level. Would someone please clarify. Thanks.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

I’ve heard from an ACC basketball coach that if he backs out of draft, he will transfer to another school. Vandy era is over. Next season will be rough, especially is Disu leaves.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

VandyDores15 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:55 pm Next season will be rough, especially is Disu leaves.
A rough season? It’s been an endless string of rough seasons as of late...
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I wonder if he got sideways with Stack. I thought they were tight, but he didn't specifically mention Stackhouse in his message, which I would have expected him to do. Why would he not return to Vandy if he decides not to stick with the draft?
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:16 pm I wonder if he got sideways with Stack. I thought they were tight, but he didn't specifically mention Stackhouse in his message, which I would have expected him to do. Why would he not return to Vandy if he decides not to stick with the draft?
You can't criticize Stack, you know he's sensitive about that and goes on political tirades. I'm not sure what to make of this other than I hope they can restock quickly - the recent signees is a very positive sign. As three league wins seems to be the bar right now, that still seems realistic.
Last edited by cc11316 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:05 pm
So how would that work? Has NCAA granted immediate eligibility for all transfers?
Expected to be approved next week.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I'm a Stack fan, so no criticism from me. I thought he developed Jr. really well and I would have expected a bit more of a shout out to him in the farewell message.
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

LawoftheWest wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:48 pm It seemed like we were well stocked at guard. Now it seems we will be short handed, especially at point guard. :shock:

I can't remember if we signed a point guard for this upcoming year, especially one who can step right in and play at SEC level. Would someone please clarify. Thanks.
We have an incoming freshman, Peyton Daniels, that is 6'2" and looks really good.
Locked Previous topicNext topic