UNC's Roy Williams retiring

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Seadog73
Admiral

UNC's Roy Williams retiring

Post by Seadog73 »

Last edited by Seadog73 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Re: ONC's Roy Williams retiring

Post by Mrcommodore »

I think if he had just taken us to a sweet 16 he'd be gone or at least a very strong contender. As it is I can't imagine a program of that caliber taking a coach who hasn't proven himself at the college level, nostalgia notwithstanding.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: ONC's Roy Williams retiring

Post by mathguy »

Unless Stack would be willing to leave a head coaching gig to be a UNC assistant, it shouldn't affect us directly. As already stated, UNC is a program that steals coaches who have been to FInal Fours ... not coaches yet to have a winning record in college ball.

That said, this is the kind of opening that has a domino effect across DI ... maybe UNC again hires the current Kansas coach who steals Patrick Ewing from Georgetown who hires someone that is replaced by Stackhouse. I doubt that exact sequence happens, but I bet that (at least) 3 head coaching changes in the nation occur because of this 1 retirement.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: UNC's Roy Williams retiring

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I will be surprised if it is someone other than a coach in the Dean Smith/Roy Williams coaching tree. Now there aren't any candidates as obvious as Roy was both the first time he was approached (and declined the job) and the second time (when he accepted), but there has been a 60-year uninterrupted Dean Smith bloodline in Chapel Hill and I just don't see it ending. The people there are hard core about the family tree and anyone outside of it would be a shock.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

I read a Charlotte Observer article that mentioned Stack as a replacement for Williams. I actually hurt myself laughing about it.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

I suspect a winner with Smith/Williams bloodlines will be tapped. I heard that Holtman from Ohio State may be invited for an interview.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:36 pm I will be surprised if it is someone other than a coach in the Dean Smith/Roy Williams coaching tree. Now there aren't any candidates as obvious as Roy was both the first time he was approached (and declined the job) and the second time (when he accepted), but there has been a 60-year uninterrupted Dean Smith bloodline in Chapel Hill and I just don't see it ending. The people there are hard core about the family tree and anyone outside of it would be a shock.
That will be the first choice for sure, but the new coach will be someone who has coached in *at least* the Sweet 16, and likely further. They have learned from the Doherty error era.

It will be more important to get a winner than to bring in family. Though ideally they would want both.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

The early betting line favorites are Hubert Davis, Wes Miller, then Jerry Stackhouse. To be honest, if those are the best choices from the Dean Smith tree, I would seriously consider going outside the family. Davis may turn out to be a great head coach, and perhaps those familiar with the program would be more aware of it, but Miller and Stackhouse don't really have the head coaching resume to show they could do the job. Roy Williams had never been a head coach when he took the Kansas job, so maybe Davis is in the same category.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

mathguy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:42 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:36 pm I will be surprised if it is someone other than a coach in the Dean Smith/Roy Williams coaching tree. Now there aren't any candidates as obvious as Roy was both the first time he was approached (and declined the job) and the second time (when he accepted), but there has been a 60-year uninterrupted Dean Smith bloodline in Chapel Hill and I just don't see it ending. The people there are hard core about the family tree and anyone outside of it would be a shock.
That will be the first choice for sure, but the new coach will be someone who has coached in *at least* the Sweet 16, and likely further. They have learned from the Doherty error era.

It will be more important to get a winner than to bring in family. Though ideally they would want both.
Eddie Fogler wasn't good enough and his college resume is world's better than CJS at the moment. It isn't clear that CJS can get us to the tournament or even above .500 in the SEC. Perhaps at a place like UNC where it is relatively easy to recruit it would be different, but any AD would be taking a tremendous risk hiring a coach with a grand total of 2 years of experience and a combined record of 20-35.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

katmai wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:15 pm The early betting line favorites are Hubert Davis, Wes Miller, then Jerry Stackhouse. To be honest, if those are the best choices from the Dean Smith tree, I would seriously consider going outside the family. Davis may turn out to be a great head coach, and perhaps those familiar with the program would be more aware of it, but Miller and Stackhouse don't really have the head coaching resume to show they could do the job. Roy Williams had never been a head coach when he took the Kansas job, so maybe Davis is in the same category.
I could see Davis. He was a star player for them. If they (and perhaps more importantly, Roy Williams) really believe in him, you can risk elevating a trusted assistant from the staff.

But I'm not seeing any of the Dean Smith Tree candidates that have the resume as a head coach to hire.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Doreknox wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:20 pm I read a Charlotte Observer article that mentioned Stack as a replacement for Williams. I actually hurt myself laughing about it.
I think he has a real shot at the job: his recruiting there would be so much easier than here, and he is a good coach. This hurts our recruiting unless there is a quick decision.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

charlestonalum wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:56 am
Doreknox wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:20 pm I read a Charlotte Observer article that mentioned Stack as a replacement for Williams. I actually hurt myself laughing about it.
I think he has a real shot at the job: his recruiting there would be so much easier than here, and he is a good coach. This hurts our recruiting unless there is a quick decision.
I know Stack is part of the family there ... but I can't imagine UNC hiring a coach with 2 years of head coaching experience ... and producing a losing record in both of them.

This is a minor blip, at most, on our recruiting fortunes.

Unless people think Stack would leave us to take an assistant job at a "better" program, he won' be a UNC next year.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

i'd have thought that the heels would have already done their search and made a decision about their next coach before williams announced his retirement publicly.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Just saw on Twitter Charles Barkley recommended Stackhouse. I just don't see it with as little College coaching experience Stack has and not proven much here yet at Vandy. Stack signed a 6-year deal also.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Rumor on Twitter is that Stackhouse is interviewing at NC this weekend. I will be really disappointed and mad if he leaves Vandy now. It's unfair to the players and makes me think we won't ever keep a good coach.
JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by JWCommodore »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:04 pm Rumor on Twitter is that Stackhouse is interviewing at NC this weekend.
Word here in the Tar Heel state is that all of the "family" candidates are getting a courtesy interview. The fans here want the guy who is coaching in tonight's second final four matchup. Rumor is that they are going to give Few some time after this weekend to gauge his interest.

It will be interesting but not surprising if they do hire someone outside the family. If that's the route they decide to go, I think they should go after Jay Wright. It's arguably the premier job in the country, they should be able to get whoever they want.
Labradore
Lieutenant

Post by Labradore »

From my brother: (A long time Chapel Hill resident and UNC season ticket holder)

“UNC is a mess. They have been living off their (and Dean Smith’s, MJ’s, and Roy’s) reputation for the past 30yrs. NC legislature has done nothing but slash UNC funding over the past 15yrs, they had to fire everyone all the way to the AD for the Butch Davis and other Academic scandals. The Dean Dome is big, but extremely outdated. UNC is filled with old, narrow minded, country-club living, self-entitled, out of touch fan base. It’s a great brand. If there’s a great coach who can negotiate resources, then could get them back, but they are not in a good position now.”
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:04 pm Rumor on Twitter is that Stackhouse is interviewing at NC this weekend. I will be really disappointed and mad if he leaves Vandy now. It's unfair to the players and makes me think we won't ever keep a good coach.
I don't agree. I said this when we hired him that I thought Stackhouse would only stick around for any length of time if he was below average to mediocre. He had no relationship to Vandy or college basketball. He only took our job as a stepping stone to a big name school (like unc) or to the nba as a head coach where he'd be a better fit. So if he proved to be good here, he would soon bail for better opportunity. And if he was just average then maybe no one would want him and he'd be forced to stay. (However still the possibility he'd bail for the nba).

Tying all this back to your point, I don't think him leaving would be an indictment on our program or that we can't keep a good coach. This was never a 10 year hire. Our best case was he'd be a fantastic coach, we'd have a great run for a few years, and enjoy the ride before he leaves. Worst case he sucked and we were stuck with him. Stallings was a good coach and we kept him for a long time. Bryce Drew was obviously a failure here but had he been good I got the feeling he would have stayed. We can keep guys who want to be college coaches.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Looks like it is going to be Hubert Davis. Special meeting this afternoon of the UNC board of trust to approve a contract.

He was Roy's pick from the beginning and a member of the UNC family so this is not surprising.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Hubert Davis is new UNC BB Coach
Locked Previous topicNext topic