Loyola Chicago

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Loyola Chicago

Post by EagleDore »

The Ramblers are my favorite team this tournament after putting on a basketball clinic against top seeded Illinois. I caught a good chunk of the 2nd half up to the end, and boy was it impressive. They've got very athletic guys who are quick, but boy are they well coached. I saw plays and screens and double screens to get good matchups for layups and shots, and using the big guy, Krutwig, out front to screen and pass but then they still got him back inside for defense and rebounding. He's 6'9" but played like 7'. This was fun to watch.

BTW, they may also get the Sister Jean advantage...if you recall she's the 101 year old team chaplain who said a prayer for them before the game and was shown watching in person. I found some words of hers today on ESPN, ""As we play the Fighting Illini, we ask for special help to overcome this team and get a great win," she said. "We hope to score early and make our opponents nervous. We have a great opportunity to convert rebounds as this team makes about 50% of layups and 30% of its 3 points. Our defense can take care of that."

Pretty cool.

docdore
Vice Admiral

Re: Loyola Chicago

Post by docdore »

agree loyola is fun to watch and to pull for--fundamentally sound, maximum effort, aggressive defense and unselfish offense. porter moser is doing a helluva job coaching them and sr. jean chaplaining them. go ramblers! win another natty!!
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

HC Porter Moser has already been linked to openings at DePaul and IU.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

I compare UF's choke late to Oral Roberts that I just watched to the great team ball of Loyola...UF gave up a small late lead and just didn't play well last few minutes. They had 15 seconds coming out of a time out to get off a potential 3 to tie the game, and they just sucked...no ball screen, no play other than street ball to launch a contested 3 and then fumbling around with another no chance shot until the buzzer sounded. I think Moser's coaching is shining well right now...
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Florida is a little too cocky for my liking. Especially that dork center from Michigan.
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

I became a fan when they upset UT(k) in the ncaat a few yrs ago. The meme of Sister Jean on her scooter slamming on UT’s center was classic.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Doreknox wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:41 pm HC Porter Moser has already been linked to openings at DePaul and IU.
I saw he is making over a $1M currently. He is a Chicago native. Assuming the campus is really pretty from the spring through fall as it sits right on the lake. (Im sure winter is brutal but as a chicago guy that shouldnt faze him too much). Not sure how difficult the eligibility requirements are at the school but the nearby talent pool is obviously pretty strong. I'm assuming the pressure there is nowhere near as difficult as most top schools (let alone a place like IU where I'm sure it is off the charts). Seems like he has a pretty good thing going for himself. I'd be hesitant to leave if I were him. The only caveat is $1M in bloomington probably goes a lot farther than a $1M in chicago. And that new contract in bloomington I'm sure would be a lot higher.

Anyways I've always thought too many coaches give up great situations to chase bigger name positions. Success is never guaranteed and it's not always easy to replicate what you've built even at similar levels of schools let alone a more difficult, higher pressure job such as IU. I get it if a guy is uber competitive and wants to test their ability at the highest level. And I get it if the money is so life altering you just can't pass it up. But I'd be real hesitant to make that move if you've got such a great thing going. Life is probably pretty good for him right now.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

fldore wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:30 am
Doreknox wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:41 pm HC Porter Moser has already been linked to openings at DePaul and IU.
I saw he is making over a $1M currently. He is a Chicago native. Assuming the campus is really pretty from the spring through fall as it sits right on the lake. (Im sure winter is brutal but as a chicago guy that shouldnt faze him too much). Not sure how difficult the eligibility requirements are at the school but the nearby talent pool is obviously pretty strong. I'm assuming the pressure there is nowhere near as difficult as most top schools (let alone a place like IU where I'm sure it is off the charts). Seems like he has a pretty good thing going for himself. I'd be hesitant to leave if I were him. The only caveat is $1M in bloomington probably goes a lot farther than a $1M in chicago. And that new contract in bloomington I'm sure would be a lot higher.

Anyways I've always thought too many coaches give up great situations to chase bigger name positions. Success is never guaranteed and it's not always easy to replicate what you've built even at similar levels of schools let alone a more difficult, higher pressure job such as IU. I get it if a guy is uber competitive and wants to test their ability at the highest level. And I get it if the money is so life altering you just can't pass it up. But I'd be real hesitant to make that move if you've got such a great thing going. Life is probably pretty good for him right now.
I’d venture a guess that $1M still goes a fair distance, even in Chicago. :)
You could get a whole lot of Lou Malnati’s deep dish pizza and not make much of a dent! :D
Locked Previous topicNext topic