OT: Where is the outrage ...

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

OT: Where is the outrage ...

Post by Versus75 »

... over the firing of Archie Miller by Indiana University?

While the Hoosiers were only 33-43 (.434) in Big 10 regular season games, their record was 67-56 (.545) overall in four seasons. They never made the NCAA Tournament, but earned one N.I.T. bid and would have been in the NCAA field in 2020 had the tournament not been cancelled.

The buyout was TEN MILLION DOLLARS! That's a 1 with a whole mess of zeros after it. I heard that if Indiana gave Miller one more year and still wanted to dump him the buyout would have been half that.

The 2020-2021 season was not a good one for Archie and the gang, but the team still finished 10th in a 14-team league so strong that the top 9 teams have been invited to the Dance.

Comparing Bryce Drew's tenure to that of Archie Miller, the only similarities I see are these from kentsterling.com:
"IU president Michael McRobbie, Dolson’s boss, is on his way out the door, and a replacement has not been named."
"These are interesting times in Bloomington for (A.D. Scott) Dolson, who just nine months into his reign...."
Relatively new director of athletics, lame duck president/chancellor. Those line items are similar. But no way is Miller's 7-12 / 12-15 similar to Drew's 9-23 / 0-18. Also, Drew's top two recruits were gone while Indiana's top two players were about to become sophomores at I.U.

Yet, once again I hear on national media that Drew was given a bum deal. The play-by-play guy for the AAC championship game between Cincinnati and Houston lamented that his old buddy Bryce Drew would have been his sidekick for the game if not for the new job in Phoenix:

"Bryce really got a raw deal from Vanderbilt, but he's bounced back and has his new team in the NCAA Tournament."

I agree with some of the sentiments from another post here that Bryce Drew is a nice guy who just isn't cut out to coach at the SEC level. I wish him well at Grand Canyon, but don't regret his firing. No outrage from me.
https://14powers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17939