How about those Antelopes?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

cc11316
Rear Admiral

How about those Antelopes?

Post by cc11316 »

Congrats Coach Drew on the big win and first NCAA berth for Grand Canyon basketball. Perhaps, you aren't such a bad coach after all. Let the hateful comments start in 3, 2, 1 ....

oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Re: How about those Antelopes?

Post by oakparkDore »

Yeah, I don’t understand the ongoing hate for Coach Drew either. He’s a very nice man and was a fine representative of the school. He did a terrible job coaching and got fired. It should end there. I wish him and Grand Canyon the best.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I think coach clapper just needs to stick to small conference schools. He's been successful wherever he's gone, except that he was terrible here. He was to VU basketball what Mason was to football: take a successful program and immediately tank it.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Last edited by Go Vandy! on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Honestly, I don’t think there has been any hating on Drew per se. It’s just that for whatever reason it seems some people keep bringing him up as if he should still be coach at VU. Then when those people make comments, others are quick to point out just how terrible his VU tenure was. Clearly he should not have kept his job after tanking the program. However, I don’t know that very many people would want to see him fail moving forward. As already stated: nice guy; easy to root for. Was not a good coach for VU. End of story.
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

Pls don’t compare Drew’s epic failures to CDM.

Mason beat UT THRICE.
Upset UGa in Athens ( I was there & will NEVER forget).

Drew’s big wins as MBB HC??

#beatETSU
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

At the risk of sounding pessimistic, both Drew and Mason coach very high profile sports of the SEC that all schools except VU prize above academics. Until our new administration was installed Vanderbilt has ignored almost denigrated or simply ignored these programs. With minimal admistative, faculty, student interest ANY coach would fall. I hope expectations and requisite support are forthcoming. As for Drew and Mason - I wish them good luck and best wishes. They endured the nadir of administration interest in athletics at Vanderbilt.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

dallasdore wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:12 am I think coach clapper just needs to stick to small conference schools. He's been successful wherever he's gone, except that he was terrible here. He was to VU basketball what Mason was to football: take a successful program and immediately tank it.
As far as a coaching record, I don't think a comparison between Mason and Drew is favorable to Drew.
Yes in the end Mason did not get the job done and he was fired. But there were stretches where he was flirting with mediocrity - two bowl seasons and a scattered number of quality wins here and there.
There were also some players who clearly developed/improved through their careers - mid-grade recruits who were NFL draft picks by the time they were done.

Drew brought in some great recruits but never did much on the court with them nor did any of them ever look like they'd improved at all.
His best season did get an NCAA birth - but that season was really tanking until the Seniors sat him down and asked to play the system they'd played under Stallings. It's difficult to credit him with that season's results when it was the previous coach's players and the previous coach's system and required something of a player mutiny to turn the season around.

None of which is to say anything against Bryce Drew the man. He genuinely seemed like a great guy and it's obvious he has had success at the mid-major level.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with Bryce Drew.
I think the folks who are always taking every opportunity to belabor Drew's firing when everyone else is perfectly happy to move on may be wearing a little thin, but that's not really about Drew.
BooMax
Lieutenant

Post by BooMax »

Drew wasnt provided a fair and equitable shot at success! Yes, horrendous year with all the bad luck possible but saying he couldnt coach -- is disingenuous -- given the idiot level mismanagement of AD Turner who undermined Drew for reasons I think are obvious.

I am pulling for Bryce to win and do wish we had his quality of recruiting in the same system that Stackhouse also deploys. BTW, Stack can be good too if he puts in the recruiting efforts.
dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Post by dorepleganger »

alathIN wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:03 am
dallasdore wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:12 am I think coach clapper just needs to stick to small conference schools. He's been successful wherever he's gone, except that he was terrible here. He was to VU basketball what Mason was to football: take a successful program and immediately tank it.
As far as a coaching record, I don't think a comparison between Mason and Drew is favorable to Drew.
Yes in the end Mason did not get the job done and he was fired. But there were stretches where he was flirting with mediocrity - two bowl seasons and a scattered number of quality wins here and there.
There were also some players who clearly developed/improved through their careers - mid-grade recruits who were NFL draft picks by the time they were done.

Drew brought in some great recruits but never did much on the court with them nor did any of them ever look like they'd improved at all.
His best season did get an NCAA birth - but that season was really tanking until the Seniors sat him down and asked to play the system they'd played under Stallings. It's difficult to credit him with that season's results when it was the previous coach's players and the previous coach's system and required something of a player mutiny to turn the season around.

None of which is to say anything against Bryce Drew the man. He genuinely seemed like a great guy and it's obvious he has had success at the mid-major level.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with Bryce Drew.
I think the folks who are always taking every opportunity to belabor Drew's firing when everyone else is perfectly happy to move on may be wearing a little thin, but that's not really about Drew.

I like to think of those fans as the Miss Havisham Commodore Club.
vandyhank
Lieutenant

Post by vandyhank »

Who hired Turner as AD?
Was it former AD Williams, or the university president, or a committee? Who had the final say?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

vandyhank wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:27 pm Who hired Turner as AD?
Was it former AD Williams, or the university president, or a committee? Who had the final say?
He was hired by Chancellor Zeppos and fired by interim Chancellor Wente.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

It's hard to believe he was so successful at Valpo, takes a school that no one outside of Phoenix has heard of to the big dance, but that he was terrible here.

At Valpo he took over a pretty good team and made them better. His strengths appear to be recruiting but he was able to keep Valpo good before he was able to recruit his own players. And at Grand Canyon, obviously with it being his first year he hasnt had a chance to fill the roster with his own recruits. It seems like the guy must have some ability to coach. Not sure if he just lucked out at Valpo/GCU by having better talent than his conference peers where here at Vandy we're almost always at a talent disadvantage or at best on equal terms. And his lacking of coaching ability was quickly exposed. Maybe it was just bad luck here, the guys never took his system, and it spiraled out of control. I don't know. Too bad it never worked out because on paper he seemed like he would be a great fit. And that first year offered a lot of hope.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic