Rules not enforced

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

cc11316
Rear Admiral

Rules not enforced

Post by cc11316 »

When I was officiating TSSAA ball with the MTBOA, I recall many initial state required meetings where they would go through the points of emphasis for the upcoming year. It was such things as uniform rules like untucked jerseys during a game enforcement, three second enforcement, rough post play and the coaches box. Today, during the Michigan-Maryland game, not enforcing that rule (coaches box restrictions) nearly led to a bench-clearing brawl. I'll ask the obvious - why have the rule and not enforce it (at all)?

commadore
Admiral

Re: Rules not enforced

Post by commadore »

That subject really galls my butt too, especially how it is ignored at Memorial. Of course we'd have 45 FTs when we played KY and TN, as their coaches stay at mid court and/or on the court most of the game.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Why should the refs start enforcing the rule now? Calipari has been a sixth defender for as long as I can recall.

Opponents complain about Memorial and the benches on the ends. Well, unlike Memorial the "benches", er, seats at most arenas are about 3 feet from the sideline. Gives coaches an excuse for encroaching onto the court.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I think what stinks about it to me is how much power and influence these coaches have in the officiating. At our summer camps for officials, they would teach the 3 W's when it came to enforcing the rule which is waive, warn, whack. It was a progressive warning system which was intended to give the coach multiple attempts at correcting the infraction.

Waive was a simple hand gesture to encourage the coach to return to his designated coaches box (never worked). Warn was a verbal reprimand to let the coach know he needed to return or he would be assessed a technical foul. Finally whack was the act of giving the coach a technical foul. Since SEC officiating is very, very political, I can imagine that not too many of these guys are willing to `whack` Calipari for fear of never working another game. It's a shame, because it could help clean up the game.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

cc11316 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:41 pm When I was officiating TSSAA ball with the MTBOA, I recall many initial state required meetings where they would go through the points of emphasis for the upcoming year. It was such things as uniform rules like untucked jerseys during a game enforcement, three second enforcement, rough post play and the coaches box. Today, during the Michigan-Maryland game, not enforcing that rule (coaches box restrictions) nearly led to a bench-clearing brawl. I'll ask the obvious - why have the rule and not enforce it (at all)?
So, once I heard about referees trying to figure out how to handle calling games with a young Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

The story goes, the refs basically realized that, under strict enforcement of the rules, Kareem was fouled on every possession he touched the ball, as the alternative was a basket every time down the court. So, since they didn't want the other team to foul out every player by half time, they developed Kareem rules, where they only called the foul if he was fouled "too badly".

I'm sure the same was true for Wilt. And Shaq.

Sometimes there are things you shouldn't be a stickler about. LIke fans throwing tennis balls on the court...
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I was at a high school game a couple of weeks ago (in the region tournament, loser eliminated type game), and the refs were the worse I have ever seen at any level.

The visiting team’s guard would jump stop into the lane, stop dribbling, move his pivot foot, and then resume dribbling throughout the game and the refs didn’t call it.

With 45 seconds left, the score was tied, the visiting team held for a last shot. With 13 seconds left, the refs finally called double dribble on the guard, who’d been getting away with it throughout the game. The visiting team’s coach went ballistic, ran on the court, but the refs didn’t T him up.

The home team’s guard drove into the lane and knocked over the visiting team’s guard. He was completely set. He was not moving at all. It should have been a charge. As the guard ran into the player he took a shot.

The ball hung on the rim. A visiting team player jumped up and knocked the ball off the rim.

The refs called blocking foul. They completely ignored the goaltend and didn’t call it.

Both coaches were ballistic. They both came out on the court and got in the refs’ faces. The visiting coach was upset that it was a block and not a charge. The home coach was upset there was not goaltending called. Neither was T ed up.

The home team guard missed both free throws!

The home team won it in overtime. The block call was the fifth foul on the visiting team’s guard. He had scored over 30 points. Without him in the game the visiting team didn’t have any players to rely on to make shots.

Both teams had 9 3-pointers in the game.
thefan
Captain

Seems they do not call:

Post by thefan »

1. 3 second lane violations
2. Palming he ball
3. Carrying the ball
4. 4 to 5 steps to the basket without dribbling.
5. Changing pivot foot
6. Moving screens
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Last edited by Go Vandy! on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golddore68
Admiral

Re: Seems they do not call:

Post by Golddore68 »

thefan wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:28 pm 1. 3 second lane violations
2. Palming he ball
3. Carrying the ball
4. 4 to 5 steps to the basket without dribbling.
5. Changing pivot foot
6. Moving screens

7. Goaltending.

The refs hardly ever call that, especially at the high school level.

There’s one high school team in particular, Siegel High in Murfreesboro, which used to get away with it constantly. When an opposing player would shoot a layup and the ball would be bouncing around the rim, a Siegel player would jump up and smack the backboard as hard as he could. The whole goal would vibrate and the ball would fall off the rim. About 10 years ago, I saw them do this a lot in games and not one single time was goaltending called.

They have a different coach now.

Ironically in the region tournament during that time frame, Siegel was playing LaVergne in the region finals. A Siegel player attempted a shot at the buzzer to end the first half from beyond halfcourt. It looked like it was dead on. A LaVergne player jumped up and smacked the backboard. The whole goal shook and the shot rimmed out. The Siegel coach was furious that the refs didn’t call goaltending. His team did that sort of thing all the time.
Locked Previous topicNext topic