Vanderbilt Fanatics Departments
Accessories Auto Backpacks Collectibles Footwear Golf & Sports
Hats Home & Office Jackets Jerseys Lawn & Garden Pajamas
Pants Polos Shirts & Sweats Shorts Sweatshirts Swim & Beach
T-Shirts Tailgate Baseball Basketball Football Everything

talent coming in next year?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold

Good2BGold
Rear Admiral

Re: talent coming in next year?

Post by Good2BGold » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 am

DeefromAtlanta wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:07 am
How many are sitting out transferring in? Is Stute the only signee?
I think that is correct that Stute is the only signee so far. Two transfers are sitting out this season: 6-6 guard DJ Harvey and 6-10 forward Quentin Millora-Brown. Also there is the kid transferring from Kansas, 6-1 guard Issac McBride, who will be enrolling this summer.
0 x

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:05 am

We need big bodies.
0 x

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:13 am

DeefromAtlanta wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:05 am
We need big bodies.
Jankovic, Obinna, Millora-Brown, Moyer, Disu, and Clevon Brown is rumored to be taking a medical redshirt. Those will be our big bodies for next season.
0 x

Good2BGold
Rear Admiral

Post by Good2BGold » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:40 am

underdog74 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:13 am
DeefromAtlanta wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:05 am
We need big bodies.
Jankovic, Obinna, Millora-Brown, Moyer, Disu, and Clevon Brown is rumored to be taking a medical redshirt. Those will be our big bodies for next season.
Stack referred to Moyer as a senior in an interview with Joe Fisher, so he may not be back.
0 x

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

We need points desperately next year.

Post by DeefromAtlanta » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:21 pm

Disu has potential as a scorer, but there aren't many points proven to come out of that group. Millora-Brown only averaged 7-8 points at Rice. After our last three years of transfers, I'm not counting on anything.
0 x

Good2BGold
Rear Admiral

Re: We need points desperately next year.

Post by Good2BGold » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm

DeefromAtlanta wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:21 pm
Disu has potential as a scorer, but there aren't many points proven to come out of that group. Millora-Brown only averaged 7-8 points at Rice. After our last three years of transfers, I'm not counting on anything.
Dee, it's my understanding Harvey is supposed to be a scorer. He was a four-star recruit out of high school.
0 x

VUaskew
Rear Admiral

Post by VUaskew » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:40 pm

DeefromAtlanta wrote:
We aren't getting 7-8 ppg out of the C position currently. He seems less of a prospect than anyone else we have on the roster. Just saying....
0 x

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:10 pm

Good2BGold wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm
DeefromAtlanta wrote:
Dee, it's my understanding Harvey is supposed to be a scorer. He was a four-star recruit out of high school.
He a guard. Stackhouse is fighting with one hand tied behind his back if we can't score from in and around the basket. I hope he's getting in on kids from his AAU involvement. I didn't realize Disu is listed at 6':9". Really?
0 x

VUPKS
Captain

Post by VUPKS » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Have we had a guy transfer in and become a big time player here at VU in the last say....10 years? Lot's of "best player in practice" type guys that end up showing why they transferred. Hope that isn't the case with our latest round of transfers and potential transfer (McBride) - but if recent past is any indicator, don't get your hopes up.
0 x

mydores
Lieutenant

Post by mydores » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:42 pm

Maybe CJS can coach them up like he has this group so far. I really see improvement in all of them since the start of the season and I expect to see even more improvement next year.
1 x

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:45 pm

I believe in Stackhouse as a coach. I know I'm stating the obvious, but he and his staff need to show some serious dividends in the next cycle. Transfers won't cut it.
1 x

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Stack NEEDS good to great shooters in order for his offense to work. We can not afford to sign projects(Oton) anymore in this league. Jury out on M-Brown. We need open spots to recruit better players. SEC caliber players. They are out there. If not in on any left use the spot for a grad transfer. That way you don't tie up a scholly for 3 or more years on a dud. We need one big man that can attract defense as a scoring threat or draw defenders in to kick it back out.
Last edited by Nashmann on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD

EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:52 pm

Nashmann wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:16 pm
Stack NEEDS good to great shooters in order for his offense to work. We can not afford to sign projects(Oton) anymore in this league. Jury out on M-Brown. We need open spots to recruit better players. SEC caliber players. They are out there. If not in on any left use the spot for a grad transfer. That way you don't up a scholly for 3 or more years on a dud. We need one big man that can attract defense as a scoring threat or draw defenders in to kick it back out.
Milora-Brown is a proven shot blocker/rebounder and didn't attempt a single three pointer yet in college.

That is what we need... not another poor man's Nowitzki wannabe. We need a 6-10/230 kid who can play with his back to the basket on offense and protect the paint on D. My concern is with his FT shooting which was Shaq-like at Rice. Otherwise, he shot around 60% from the field against D-1 competition and that will work any day. I like the pickup and think he could start from day one.

Apparently he has good hands and can actually catch a pass without fumbling it away...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN_NhlzvKW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JATZ3fvcRI
1 x

VandyDaDDy
Chief

Post by VandyDaDDy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:37 pm

Some kids will transfer from this roster
0 x

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:05 pm

VandyDaDDy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:37 pm
Some kids will transfer from this roster
Would like to see Moyer & Obinna leave(maybe even Oton).
Last edited by Nashmann on Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:06 pm

EllistonVU wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:52 pm
Nashmann wrote:
Stack NEEDS good to great shooters in order for his offense to work. We can not afford to sign projects(Oton) anymore in this league. Jury out on M-Brown. We need open spots to recruit better players. SEC caliber players. They are out there. If not in on any left use the spot for a grad transfer. That way you don't up a scholly for 3 or more years on a dud. We need one big man that can attract defense as a scoring threat or draw defenders in to kick it back out.
Milora-Brown is a proven shot blocker/rebounder and didn't attempt a single three pointer yet in college.

That is what we need... not another poor man's Nowitzki wannabe. We need a 6-10/230 kid who can play with his back to the basket on offense and protect the paint on D. My concern is with his FT shooting which was Shaq-like at Rice. Otherwise, he shot around 60% from the field against D-1 competition and that will work any day. I like the pickup and think he could start from day one.

Apparently he has good hands and can actually catch a pass without fumbling it away...
You can have all the rebounds & blocked shots you want....but if you don't have shooters and folks that can score(and hit free throws) you are going down....Vandy NEEDS offense!
0 x

EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Nashmann wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:06 pm
EllistonVU wrote:
Nashmann wrote:

You can have all the rebounds & blocked shots you want....but if you don't have shooters and folks that can score(and hit free throws) you are going down....Vandy NEEDS offense!
After watching (player name here) allow another bunch of uncontested layups and dunks...maybe we also need somebody who will block shots and take charges in paint.

We would have two or three more wins at this point if QMB was dressing out THIS SEASON.

We could have Pete Maravich and Fly Williams, but without the ability to defend at the rim, we are screwed against teams like Kentucky. That is for sure.
2 x

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 pm

EllistonVU wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:13 pm
Nashmann wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:06 pm
EllistonVU wrote:

After watching (player name here) allow another bunch of uncontested layups and dunks...maybe we also need somebody who will block shots and take charges in paint.

We would have two or three more wins at this point if QMB was dressing out THIS SEASON.

We could have Pete Maravich and Fly Williams, but without the ability to defend at the rim, we are screwed against teams like Kentucky. That is for sure.
I agree M-Brown will help, but we need shooters who can hit also!!! Glad he stays inside. If Moyer, Obina & Oton transfer maybe we can get some scorers(shooters like maybe a 6'7"-6'8" that can drive but also hit 3''s like most other teams in the league!
Last edited by Nashmann on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:20 pm

I really like Wright's game! If he can work on his 3 point shot he would be awesome. Has a very good inside game. Very smart player. Knows the game & where to be!
2 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic