Vanderbilt Fanatics Departments
Accessories Auto Backpacks Collectibles Footwear Golf & Sports
Hats Home & Office Jackets Jerseys Lawn & Garden Pajamas
Pants Polos Shirts & Sweats Shorts Sweatshirts Swim & Beach
T-Shirts Tailgate Baseball Basketball Football Everything

5 Star Recruiter, 2 Star Coach?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold

5ForVU
Captain

5 Star Recruiter, 2 Star Coach?

Post by 5ForVU » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Coach Drew won the Horizon League regular season 4 out of the 6 years he was head coach at Valpo. He won the tournament 2 of those years and won COY 3 times.

Did he just recruit immensely better talent to Valpo than the rest of the Horizon League?

I really want to believe the man can coach, but it's getting harder and harder to hold on to that belief.
0 x

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: 5 Star Recruiter, 2 Star Coach?

Post by Commodoredave » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 pm

I guess that's really the question he will have to answer. He is most definitely a very good recruiter, and I don't think he would have won that league 4 times if he couldn't coach at all. However, the failures of last year and the complete disaster we are today do make you wonder if he can get it turned around.
0 x

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Well, let's just say Garland was a true 5 star. Simi far from it. He is a 3 star at best. Being 6'10" in High School you can dominate. If you really watch him closely, other than being a good passer...dunker....and dribbling up the court he has a very poor game. His is very awkward going to the basket and just throws the ball at the basket. For a big guy, he is ALWAYS on the ground. Has very little touch around the basket. He played well early in the season against lesser talent. Not a good free throw shooter also. Nesmith is far more talented and was only rated a 4 star. Not sure if we had anything above a 3 star prior. Lee may have in a poll, but most had him as a 3.
0 x
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD

Vandyjackson
Ensign

Post by Vandyjackson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:29 pm

It just so simple we don't have enough of good players! I I wish people can understand that.
0 x

docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:26 am

a five star recruiter finds/attracts players who make his/her team successful (compete for championships). maybe someday coach drew will achieve that status at vandy......but he’s nowhere close as yet.
0 x

Vandyheel
Commander

Post by Vandyheel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:54 am

We may not have enough good players to win championships, but last years talent and this years talent was and is good enough not to lose 20 games....
0 x

EagleDore
Captain

Post by EagleDore » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 am

We're going to find out how many coaching stars CBD has this next season. A big part of it will be if he is able to learn from this season's horrible failure and adapt or change and emphasize some missing fundamentals and put in a system where our guys can be successful. Hopefully, we won't lose some of our key players and nobody will be scared away based on this season.
0 x

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:20 am

We have 2 key players...Nesmith and Lee. OK for some of you I will add Simi but who else is truly a key player? Maybe Obinna but we haven't seen if he has progressed any. I think the 3 new guys coming in will be an improvement over the rest we have. Yes, we need numbers but we mostly need slots for new blood with REAL BB skills. For stop-gap numbers let's just take grad transfers. We need SHOOTERS. Vandy has always been blessed with shooters. it's what won us some games & kept us in most. Vandy always had good outside shooters but poor inside players. Now we have poor shooters both inside & out. CBD HAS to fix this. I think he will given time.

@AD @GAD @GAD @AD
0 x
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:09 am

Nashmann wrote:We have 2 key players...Nesmith and Lee. OK for some of you I will add Simi but who else is truly a key player? Maybe Obinna but we haven't seen if he has progressed any. I think the 3 new guys coming in will be an improvement over the rest we have. Yes, we need numbers but we mostly need slots for new blood with REAL BB skills. For stop-gap numbers let's just take grad transfers. We need SHOOTERS. Vandy has always been blessed with shooters. it's what won us some games & kept us in most. Vandy always had good outside shooters but poor inside players. Now we have poor shooters both inside & out. CBD HAS to fix this. I think he will given time.

@AD @GAD @GAD @AD
I agree. 3 guys with the talent to start in the SEC and a short bench of role players who are limited either offensively or defensively. The good thing is those 3 are soph, frosh, frosh.
0 x

Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:35 am

I still say we got Garland and Simi 2 years too soon for this team. If we had landed Langford, we could have been much more competitive with our freshmen. When you only bring in 1 or 2 of the 5star kids, you need to have a solid team and system in place for them to give that extra boost. Now Bryce had a relationship with Garland already and that helped him land Simi. No coach should ever tell a top 25 rated recruit not to come because the exposure might help with recruiting other kids but we simply were not ready. Sadly, Langford is on a struggling team in Bloomington too. Makes you wonder how things may have played out for him here. Maybe Garland would not have been pressing do much and not gotten hurt. Maybe we would have been able to withstand the injury with him here.

I am not going to claim Simi is a 3star player. All freshman hit a wall and I am sure it is much more evident for him since he did not play at all for his senior season and was only cleared to play a couple months before the season. I hope he doesn't go pro, I want to see him next year with a full year+ to get ready. I would be surprised if he transfers to another school because he would definitely lose 2 years before entering the draft instead of just 1.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic