How Would You Feel If CKS Was Named Mentor Coach?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold

DoresFreak

Re: How Would You Feel If CKS Was Named Mentor Coach?

Post by DoresFreak » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:39 pm

CJS will Absolutely have success as Vanderbilt's Mens Head Basketball Coach! Book it! The Man played 18 years in the pros for goodness sake! The knowledge he has gained from that alone has me more than pleased with his hiring! Not to mention he learned alot from one of the best college basketball coaches of all time! Mark my words, CJS and his staff will have this team prepared and ready to compete at a much higher level immediately! Doubters beware! ADMT means business and failure is not an acceptable option! It's time for COMMODORE NATION TO STAND AS ONE and support ADMT at this very critical time especially with Zeppos stepping down! The Next Chancellor to replace Zeppos MUST MAKE OUR ATHLETIC PROGRAMS JUST AS IMPORTANT TO VANDERBILT'S FUTURE SUCCESS AS VANDERBILT'S ACADEMIC SUCCESSES PERIOD! CONQUER AND PREVAIL!⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️ GO DORES!
0 x

TwoSaints

Post by TwoSaints » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:18 am

Doreknox wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 am
EllistonVU wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:17 pm
Doreknox wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:46 pm
CKS is not coming back here to be an assistant. You guys need to stop that. Would you go back to work for a place that basically fired you and tried to bring you back for a pay cut and demotion??

If CJS can't be successful without a guy like CKS to help him, then we hired the wrong HC - which we probably did, but that's another thing entirely.
Which of the following is Jerry Stackhouse going to do?

Have a 23 loss season right after a 20 loss season
Have the worst losing streak in program history
Have the worst SEC record in school history
Have the worst league record in nearly 70 years of any team
Have the only losing home record in Memorial Gym history (67 years and counting)

If the answer is "none" then ending the CBD reign of error was the correct thing to do.
He might do all of them. There is no way to know for sure since he''s never coached a game of NCAA basketball in his life.
True. Another way of looking at it, however, is that he won as many league championships (one) during his two years as head coach as CM Newton, Eddie Fogler, Jan Van Breda Kolff, Kevin Stallings, and Bryce Drew managed in 38 combined years at Vanderbilt--and that was in a higher-level league.

But I do agree with you that it's silly to talk about CKS coming back as a mentor or assistant or whatever.
0 x

Doreknox

Post by Doreknox » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:48 am

TwoSaints wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:18 am

True. Another way of looking at it, however, is that he won as many league championships (one) during his two years as head coach as CM Newton, Eddie Fogler, Jan Van Breda Kolff, Kevin Stallings, and Bryce Drew managed in 38 combined years at Vanderbilt--and that was in a higher-level league.

But I do agree with you that it's silly to talk about CKS coming back as a mentor or assistant or whatever.
Let's compare overall experience before coming to Vanderbilt. Drew won 4 Horizon League championships and two conference tourney titles at Valpo, Fogler won a tourney championship at Wichita, CM Newton won 3 SEC Championships at AL and Stallings won 2 regular season titles and 2 conference tourney titles at IL State. If anything, you've illustrated just how little head coaching experience our new basketball coach actually has.
Last edited by Doreknox on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

buffy

Post by buffy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:49 am

DoresFreak wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:39 pm
CJS will Absolutely have success as Vanderbilt's Mens Head Basketball Coach! Book it! The Man played 18 years in the pros for goodness sake! The knowledge he has gained from that alone has me more than pleased with his hiring! Not to mention he learned alot from one of the best college basketball coaches of all time! Mark my words, CJS and his staff will have this team prepared and ready to compete at a much higher level immediately! Doubters beware! ADMT means business and failure is not an acceptable option! It's time for COMMODORE NATION TO STAND AS ONE and support ADMT at this very critical time especially with Zeppos stepping down! The Next Chancellor to replace Zeppos MUST MAKE OUR ATHLETIC PROGRAMS JUST AS IMPORTANT TO VANDERBILT'S FUTURE SUCCESS AS VANDERBILT'S ACADEMIC SUCCESSES PERIOD! CONQUER AND PREVAIL!⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️ GO DORES!
I feel your exuberance, but the platitudes are excessive. I'm excited about this hire also, but (1) playing pro ball for 18 years doesn't ensure you're a good or successful coach and (2) playing for Dean Smith doesn't mean you learned a lot from him, and if you did, that was nearly 25 years ago. This hire has a decent chance of being successful and I like the upside better than simply an average retread coach that we were in position to hire. I'm excited, but let's not set our world up for failure for no reason.

And that said, I think there's a fair chance that if Stackhouse makes us a .500 in the SEC squad next season, he'll have his pick of NBA jobs that'll he'll jump to in a heartbeat. We represent another opportunity for CJS to show that he creates success as a head coach. It kinda sucks, but that's how I see this going down. The hope is that we may be in a better position to hire a coach next year. I feel that we'll get 100% effort from Stackhouse this year, and you can't ask for much more than that. I hope I'm wrong though. I hope he coaches for awhile with great success.
0 x

Doreknox

Post by Doreknox » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:00 am

DoresFreak wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:39 pm
VBK played college ball under Roy Skinner and pro ball for 11 years. Did that make him a great coach at VU? The rest of what you state is your opinion and not based on facts. I want Stackhouse to succeed but I don't think he will. If he does, then I am wrong and God bless us all.

One caveat - our new chancellor might not like the fact that our AD and MBB don't have college experience and decide to can them at the first sign of failure for people who do. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened, especially if the new chancellor came from a school with successful sports programs. Most chancellors do not want college amateurs heading up athletics departments and teams.
0 x

EllistonVU

Post by EllistonVU » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 am

Doreknox wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:00 am

VBK played college ball under Roy Skinner and pro ball for 11 years. Did that make him a great coach at VU?
Compared to Bryce Drew? YES!

Worst losing streak at VU...

VBK: 4 games
Drew: 20 games

Wins in first 3 years:
VBK: 52
Drew: 40

SEC losses in same length of time:
VBK: 26
Drew: 38

Last place finishes in first 3 years:
VBK: 0
Drew: 1 plus a 13th place finish

Worst overall finish first 3 years:
VBK: 2 games under .500
Drew: 14 games under .500

Interesting fun fact...
IF BRYCE DREW HAD BEEN RETAINED FOR NEXT SEASON, HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO WIN THIRTY WINS TO MATCH THE 4 YEAR WIN TOTAL OF JVBK... SHOW OF HANDS HERE AT THIS POINT... HOW MANY PEOPLE THINK DREW WOULD HAVE WON THIRTY GAMES NEXT SEASON???

?
0 x

Jason94

Post by Jason94 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 am

EllistonVU wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 am
Doreknox wrote:

VBK played college ball under Roy Skinner and pro ball for 11 years. Did that make him a great coach at VU?

Wins in first 3 years:

Interesting fun fact...
IF BRYCE DREW HAD BEEN RETAINED FOR NEXT SEASON, HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO WIN THIRTY WINS TO MATCH THE 4 YEAR WIN TOTAL OF JVBK... SHOW OF HANDS HERE AT THIS POINT... HOW MANY PEOPLE THINK DREW WOULD HAVE WON THIRTY GAMES NEXT SEASON???

?
The short answer was "No".
0 x

Doreknox

Post by Doreknox » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:13 am

EllistonVU wrote:
Doreknox wrote:

Wins in first 3 years:

Interesting fun fact...

?
Was Bryce Drew even mentioned in my response? NO!
Last edited by Doreknox on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

EllistonVU

Post by EllistonVU » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:15 am

Jason94 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 am
EllistonVU wrote:
Doreknox wrote:

Wins in first 3 years:

Interesting fun fact...

?
And the long answer was..."when compared to Bryce Drew, a resounding YES!"
0 x

Jason94

Post by Jason94 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:06 pm

EllistonVU wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:15 am
Jason94 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 am
EllistonVU wrote:

Wins in first 3 years:

Interesting fun fact...

?
And the long answer was..."when compared to Bryce Drew, a resounding YES!"
But why would we do that? Compared to Bryce Drew, isn't CKS (and Steve Schmidt for that matter) also a "great coach"? In doing that particular comparison you've rendered the term meaningless. If the question is "was VBK a great coach", the short, and far more accurate answer is "no".
0 x

EllistonVU

Post by EllistonVU » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Since this is a web forum and it's acceptable to go to the "what if" route (practically a lifeblood of sports forum threads)... I decided to follow that tried and true sport forum tradition.

(and who the heck is Steve Schmidt? was he a MLB player for Philly?)

It's sort of like:
"Why do people answer a question WITH a question"
and they answer with
"Why SHOULDN'T people answer a question with a question?"

But you can adjust and modify a question to any other question if it furthers the cause of the thread.
Example: Who has the worst SEC basketball record in nearly 70 years?
You could easily answer: Bryce Drew (because everybody knows that is correct)
or you could answer: Not VBK because he was not at all the horrific abject failure that Drew was...
or you could answer: Not Rod Dowhower, because he coached football, not basketball (and still be somewhat correct even though he was almost as bad at what he did here)

But the bottom line is VBK had mediocre results here that sparkle and shine compared to Drew's
0 x

Jason94

Post by Jason94 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 pm

EllistonVU wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:29 pm
Since this is a web forum and it's acceptable to go to the "what if" route (practically a lifeblood of sports forum threads)... I decided to follow that tried and true sport forum tradition.

It's sort of like:
and they answer with

But you can adjust and modify a question to any other question if it furthers the cause of the thread.
or you could answer: Not VBK because he was not at all the horrific abject failure that Drew was...
or you could answer: Not Rod Dowhower, because he coached football, not basketball (and still be somewhat correct even though he was almost as bad at what he did here)

But the bottom line is VBK had mediocre results here that sparkle and shine compared to Drew's
And you have gone to great lengths for no reason to get around the simple, elegent and accurate answer of "no". Until you understand that (which is odd as this is an extraordinarily simple concept to grasp), you will be shocked if people are disappointed in any head coach who fails to make the tournament more often than "once in a while" despite performing better than a dumpster fire. One bad coach doesn't make me want to go back to mediocrity, especially at 4x's VBK's salary, especially after people like you made it quite clear that CKS was unacceptable.

And this mindless "rah rah" of CJS is the exact same thing you did during the first season of CBD and look how that turned out. There are a lot of reasons to think that CJS could succeed, but it isn't guaranteed, especially if we determine success to be more than the ridiculously low bar you've set here.
0 x

dore43

Post by dore43 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Jason94 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 pm
EllistonVU wrote:

It's sort of like:
and they answer with

And you have gone to great lengths for no reason to get around the simple, elegent and accurate answer of "no". Until you understand that (which is odd as this is an extraordinarily simple concept to grasp), you will be shocked if people are disappointed in any head coach who fails to make the tournament more often than "once in a while" despite performing better than a dumpster fire. One bad coach doesn't make me want to go back to mediocrity, especially at 4x's VBK's salary, especially after people like you made it quite clear that CKS was unacceptable.

And this mindless "rah rah" of CJS is the exact same thing you did during the first season of CBD and look how that turned out. There are a lot of reasons to think that CJS could succeed, but it isn't guaranteed, especially if we determine success to be more than the ridiculously low bar you've set here.
Jason, which user name was that? I've lost count over the years. ;)
0 x

EllistonVU

Post by EllistonVU » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Jason94 wrote:
EllistonVU wrote:

It's sort of like:
and they answer with

If I heard correctly, you were the biggest CBD rah-rah on here his first season and that went double or triple for when he upset Iowa State with CKS's players. I also hear you hedged on the CKS issue with lots of "it was time for him to go, already hit the ceiling, etc,etc" ad nauseum because you wanted to have it both ways... keep CKS but OK if they don't. Now you are hedging on the Stackhouse hire... you are sort of alright with it but skeptical at the same time. Be a man, have some huevos and either like a hire or not.

Time to go on record with no tap dancing.
The Stackhouse hire...

A) you like it and approve of it
or
B) you don't like and are against it

Here comes the biggest tap-dance since Bill "Bojangles" Robinson... in 3...2...1...
0 x

Jason94

Post by Jason94 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 pm

EllistonVU wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:34 pm
Jason94 wrote:
EllistonVU wrote:

It's sort of like:
and they answer with

If I heard correctly, you were the biggest CBD rah-rah on here his first season and that went double or triple for when he upset Iowa State with CKS's players. I also hear you hedged on the CKS issue with lots of "it was time for him to go, already hit the ceiling, etc,etc" ad nauseum because you wanted to have it both ways... keep CKS but OK if they don't. Now you are hedging on the Stackhouse hire... you are sort of alright with it but skeptical at the same time. Be a man, have some huevos and either like a hire or not.

Time to go on record with no tap dancing.
The Stackhouse hire...

A) you like it and approve of it
or
B) you don't like and are against it

Here comes the biggest tap-dance since Bill "Bojangles" Robinson... in 3...2...1...
Dude, I can't help it if you can't understand what I'm saying. It must be tough when someone who considers risk for a living sounds like they are doing tap dancing to you. Sometimes we mock what we don't understand, and I feel for your predicament and don't take your lashing out personally, and I apologize that my ability to break down semi-complex concepts to you are not succeeding. I appreciate that you want me to simplify things for you in a A/B type of manner (as you've attempted to on several occaisions), but I simply don't think in that manner, which must be tremendously frustrating for you. My sympathies.
0 x

Jason94

Post by Jason94 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:49 pm

dore43 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 pm
Jason94 wrote:
EllistonVU wrote:

It's sort of like:
and they answer with

Jason, which user name was that? I've lost count over the years. ;)
I wonder what type of individual would think that the charade he is attempting would work on Vanderbilt fans of all people. I assume it is either projection of what would work on him, or extreme laziness, though the pure volume of posting and awkward attempts at meme's would seem to eliminate the latter.
1 x

EllistonVU

Post by EllistonVU » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Exactly as predicted... the above two posts translated directly from Google Translate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXS171xrer8

A big tap dance in order for not having the manhood to simply pick a side on a coaching hire. Must be tough for people like that to go through life with no huevos and always trying to cover for it via convoluted (not to mention FAILED) attempts at changing the subject instead of simply being a man (as if) and taking a side. This is because of their mortal fear of "eating crow" when shown again how wrong they are and how their hedging and refusal to take a stance is the essence of spineless trepidation.

----------------------------------------------

One last try...

Do you

APPROVE

or

DISAPPROVE

of the Stackhouse hire?

---------------------------------------------
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic