while watching......

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold

docdore

while watching......

Post by docdore » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:28 am

uva and ut and gonzaga and others playing high quality basketball, i wonder why that can’t be vandy. the simplest answers are bennett and barnes and few i guess. hopefully our new ad will have good insight about optimizing coaching searches. we must hope that, no?
0 x

Doresince89

Re: while watching......

Post by Doresince89 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:27 am

I would say a big difference is 10 years, 4 years (plus 17 at Texas) and 19 years respectively. Now I will concede that each coach had a turn around season in year 3 but I don't think any of those coaches had season ending injuries to their NBA point guard.
0 x

Commodoredave

Post by Commodoredave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:09 am

Those are veteran rosters as well.
0 x

docdore

Post by docdore » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:44 am

when we have veterans (see ‘17-18) we aren’t like them either. we are a perennial “if only” team. we should be able to have a stable top-tier program and maybe turner will demand just that (hopefully).
0 x

EllistonVU

Post by EllistonVU » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:46 am

They have competent assistant coaches.

Soderberg at UVa - head coach at 4 other schools
Vandross at UVa - a former associate head coach elsewhere

Lanier head assistant at uut - four years of Division I head coaching experience at Siena, also has coached in the Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big East, Atlantic 10 and MAAC. He has worked on the bench for nine teams that advanced to NCAA Tournament play.
Oliver uut assistant - 21 years in the Division I coaching ranks and has experience in the Atlantic 10 (St. Bonaventure, 2000-01; Rhode Island, 2001-04; Charlotte assistant, 2010-15), Big 12 (Texas A&M, 1997-98), Ivy League (Cornell, 1998-00), Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (Canisius, 2009-10) and SEC (Georgia, 2004-09).
Schwartz at uut - has 16 games of NCAA Tournament experience under his belt as either a coach or administrative staff member.

Daniels at Gonzaga - seven years on the UCLA staff and has coached at the collegiate level for more than 30 years
Lloyd at Gonzaga - Lloyd has helped Gonzaga win 16 West Coast Conference regular season titles (all but the 2011-12 season) and 13 WCC tournament championships. He’s mentored 13 All-Americans and 73 all-WCC selections, including 11 conference players of the year, seven conference newcomers of the year and five conference defenders of the year. Responsible for bringing in many top international players.
0 x

docdore

Post by docdore » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:56 am

EllistonVU wrote:They have competent assistant coaches.

Lanier head assistant at uut - four years of Division I head coaching experience at Siena, also has coached in the Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big East, Atlantic 10 and MAAC. He has worked on the bench for nine teams that advanced to NCAA Tournament play.
Oliver uut assistant - 21 years in the Division I coaching ranks and has experience in the Atlantic 10 (St. Bonaventure, 2000-01; Rhode Island, 2001-04; Charlotte assistant, 2010-15), Big 12 (Texas A&M, 1997-98), Ivy League (Cornell, 1998-00), Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (Canisius, 2009-10) and SEC (Georgia, 2004-09).
Schwartz at uut - has 16 games of NCAA Tournament experience under his belt as either a coach or administrative staff member.

Daniels at Gonzaga - seven years on the UCLA staff and has coached at the collegiate level for more than 30 years
Lloyd at Gonzaga - Lloyd has helped Gonzaga win 16 West Coast Conference regular season titles (all but the 2011-12 season) and 13 WCC tournament championships. He’s mentored 13 All-Americans and 73 all-WCC selections, including 11 conference players of the year, seven conference newcomers of the year and five conference defenders of the year. Responsible for bringing in many top international players.
so...can drew emulate this obviously successful strategy? does he have the institutional support needed in order to do so?
0 x

EllistonVU

Post by EllistonVU » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:25 pm

docdore wrote:

so...can drew emulate this obviously successful strategy? does he have the institutional support needed in order to do so?
Hopefully the new A.D. won't give him a choice. It might make next Thanksgiving awkward at Homer's dining room table, but coaching is a business, not a hobby if it is to be done in a serious competitive way.
0 x

dore43

Post by dore43 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm

What Elliston said... They aren't young Valpo assistants and a financial planner.
0 x

dore43

Post by dore43 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:17 pm

docdore wrote: so...can drew emulate this obviously successful strategy? does he have the institutional support needed in order to do so?
I doubt CBD will make changes unless forced to. Even then, the jobs wouldn't be in high demand since he's on a major hot seat. Just look around at most power programs ---- there's usually an ex-head coach and a career assistant.

We have the institutional support (not counting the blue bloods) to afford solid assistants for a future coach. That's not an issue.
0 x

EllistonVU

Post by EllistonVU » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:28 pm

dore43 wrote:
docdore wrote: so...can drew emulate this obviously successful strategy? does he have the institutional support needed in order to do so?
I doubt CBD will make changes unless forced to. Even then, the jobs wouldn't be in high demand since he's on a major hot seat. Just look around at most power programs ---- there's usually an ex-head coach and a career assistant.

We have the institutional support (not counting the blue bloods) to afford solid assistants for a future coach. That's not an issue.
I'm not going to call out specific names, but there is a mid-major coach in the midwest from the Wisconsin coaching tree that is about to not have his contract renewed because he keeps signing scrubs. But the guy can coach offense. He is just not a recruiter. But this is his 12th year as a D-1 coach. His winning percentages have been over .600 at his first d-1 head coaching stop and over .500 at the current one. Good guy, never a hint of a scandal. Once even upset a 5 seed in the big dance in a classic David -Goliath matchup.

These guys are out there. They can be hired.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic