Main VandyMania.com Page

POLITICAL, RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS DISCUSSIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

Three point shooting

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

mydores

Three point shooting

Postby mydores » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 pm

What happened to the sharp shooter that Ryan was supposed to be? I would set him and play Toye, at least Toye has a little bit of a short game. Ryan and Toye were a combined 2-12 from 3 point land. That's just inexcusable and way too may lost possessions. Even Brown can hit 1 of 6.

Golddore68

Re: Three point shooting

Postby Golddore68 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:28 pm

If there was ever a team that would have a game with no 3-pointers and end our streak, this is that team. There is no reliable 3-point shooter whom we can rely on when we really need one. This is the weakest 3-point shooting team I’ve seen at Vanderbilt since the one when VBK was our coach and Drew Maddux was our only reliable outside shooter. There was one road game in the VBK era — I think it was at Florida, or maybe at Georgia — we were 0-for in every 3-pointer until the final two minutes. Then Drew Maddux attempted an off-balance 3-pointer that swished through the net. Otherwise the steak would have ended.

Shittu should not be attempting 3-pointers. Maybe he’s just in a shooting slump, but he’s 0-for in 3-pointers this year. His 3-point attempts look really awkward and they are always short.

geeznotagain

Postby geeznotagain » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Golddore68 wrote:If there was ever a team that would have a game with no 3-pointers and end our streak, this is that team. There is no reliable 3-point shooter whom we can rely on when we really need one. This is the weakest 3-point shooting team I’ve seen at Vanderbilt since the one when VBK was our coach and Drew Maddux was our only reliable outside shooter. There was one road game in the VBK era — I think it was at Florida, or maybe at Georgia — we were 0-for in every 3-pointer until the final two minutes. Then Drew Maddux attempted an off-balance 3-pointer that swished through the net. Otherwise the steak would have ended.

Shittu should not be attempting 3-pointers. Maybe he’s just in a shooting slump, but he’s 0-for in 3-pointers this year. His 3-point attempts look really awkward and they are always short.

I thought it was at UT, but I'm not sure at all. Been a long time.

Commodoredave

Postby Commodoredave » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:43 pm

It really is a below average roster of 3pt shooters by our standards. Really, it's a poor jump shooting overall. Ryan is streaky, and really only seems to heat up when we are playing inferior opponents when he is wide open. Toye is similarly streaky.

I've been saying Lee and Evans should start, and both of them struggle from deep. They excel with effort and defense, but their offensive shortcomings allow defenses to not extend and clog the paint.

Vandyfan22

Postby Vandyfan22 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm

At Florida. It was one of our very last possessions at the end of the shot clock I believe.

commadore

Postby commadore » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Vandyfan22 wrote:At Florida. It was one of our very last possessions at the end of the shot clock I believe.

Agree. I, too, was thinking Florida.

Nashmann

Postby Nashmann » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 pm

I really think Evans will break out if given enough time. He still plays like he knows he's coming out. He has the natural BB skills we need on the floor. Ryan keeps taking crazy out of position shots like twisting or 10 feet beyond the arc. He HAS to set himself more. Really don't have many 3 point shooters or those that can hit on a regular basis. CBD HAS to start running some set offensive sets....these guys can't play one on one offense!

Return to “Vanderbilt Men's Basketball”