Isaiah West picks Vandy

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Re: Isaiah West picks Vandy

Post by VUPKS »

West tweets that he is actually 6’3” 190lbs. Not 6’1” 170 that services list him.

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

I have watched some videos of West, and FWIW, he can really get to the rim unlike any guards we've had in a while, outside of SPJr. Super athletic guard with a real burst to the basket. He could end up being special as he has only been playing basketball a few years. Very high ceiling.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:52 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:33 pm I like our chances much better with Stack and guys like West than with coach 20-losses-in-a row.
Dunno, man. Looks like he just landed Kevin Durant.

[tweet][/tweet]
Maybe Colangelo will buy the remains of the Pac-12 and force them to let GCU in since he owns that too. :lol:
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

From what I have been told by friends with ties to Goodpasture, West is the real deal and very gifted athletically. He is a great get. However, I predict a couple of guards we've recently signed will be hitting the road next year. More roster churn.
vandyhank
Lieutenant

Post by vandyhank »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:00 pm
Jason94 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:05 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:33 pm I like our chances much better with Stack and guys like West than with coach 20-losses-in-a row.
Me too, but that is setting the bar on the floor. I'd like to see us consistently make the tournament and there is a pretty large distance between 2019 and that.
But the distance from barely losing in the 3rd round NIT at Xavier after beating Belmont and Dayton....to making the big dance which I think is about to happen.... it's not that far of a stretch except for the most hard core bryce drew loving Stack-haters. And they do exist.
But without Pippen.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Doreknox wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:34 am From what I have been told by friends with ties to Goodpasture, West is the real deal and very gifted athletically. He is a great get. However, I predict a couple of guards we've recently signed will be hitting the road next year. More roster churn.
Yeah - I think this is a very good pickup, but makes it seem like we've already recruited over Lewis before he's even played a game here. Next season we will have Manjon, Lewis, Shelby and West to play the point guard spot (in addition to Lawrence and Thomas who were both recruited to play the point). I get that CJS has decided that Lawrence and Thomas are not the solution at that spot, and that we grabbed Manjon because of the experience void that Pippen leaving left, but on a simple minutes available standpoint we have more players than available PT, and it is difficult to see how it doesn't lead to roster turnover.

Perhaps CJS can convince Shelby to play the off guard spot, which he seems to have the shot and size for, but at 6'-2" or 6'-3", if he has any NBA aspirations, he will likely want to play the point, as will West.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Jason94 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:13 pm Yeah - I think this is a very good pickup, but makes it seem like we've already recruited over Lewis before he's even played a game here. Next season we will have Manjon, Lewis, Shelby and West to play the point guard spot
The frequency with which transfers happen these days, I’d be surprised if Manjon, Lewis, and Shelby are all three still on the roster when West arrives for the 23-24 season. But that would be a potentially pleasant surprise.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

vandyhank wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:02 am
Jason94 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:05 pm

Me too, but that is setting the bar on the floor. I'd like to see us consistently make the tournament and there is a pretty large distance between 2019 and that.
But the distance from barely losing in the 3rd round NIT at Xavier after beating Belmont and Dayton....to making the big dance which I think is about to happen.... it's not that far of a stretch except for the most hard core bryce drew loving Stack-haters. And they do exist.
But without Pippen.
Jordon Wright outscored Pip 24 to 10 against Belmont
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:40 pm
vandyhank wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:02 am

But without Pippen.
Jordon Wright outscored Pip 24 to 10 against Belmont
Wow, I didn't realize how unimportant Pippen was to our team until you pointed that out.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:58 pm Let's see if he actually makes it to campus and even when he does, will he be there his sophomore year. That's how I feel at this moment in recruiting and the transfer portal. Sad you can't even really get excited anymore about this kind of news.
The only significant player we lost to the portal was Disu, who wanted to go to Texas but was not offered. I believe it says a lot for Pippen to stay, QMB and Robbins to come back and Wright and Stute staying. Obviously these are huge contributors and are committed to Stack and the program. I don’t believe we should develop a fear of losing our best players to the portal because there is no evidence to support this trend is in existence, but quite the opposite. If we continue to improve each year, players may want to come play for Stack. If that is not the case, I’m certain we will move on. You can’t rebuild VU in 3 years, in any sport….it may take at least 5 and I like the direction of the mens and womens programs. Covid has set that timeline back another 2 years…..we must be more patient.
Last edited by Ndorefin on Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:36 pm I didn't realize how unimportant your posts are to this forum until you posted that.
And that is why you are lost on this thread. If you recalibrate your values you can become better informed. We are discussing positions and depth here and you are worried about the last coach we fired 3 years ago. Pay more attention next time so you can keep up.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Ndorefin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:57 pm
Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:58 pm Let's see if he actually makes it to campus and even when he does, will he be there his sophomore year. That's how I feel at this moment in recruiting and the transfer portal. Sad you can't even really get excited anymore about this kind of news.
The only significant player we lost to the portal was Disu, who wanted to go to Texas but was not offered. I believe it says a lot for Pippen to stay, QMB and Robbins to come back and Wright and Stute staying. Obviously these are huge contributors and are committed to Stack and the program. I don’t believe we should develop a fear of losing our best players to the portal because there is no evidence to support this trend is in existence, but quite the opposite. If we continue to improve each year, players may want to come play for Stack. If that is not the case, I’m certain we will move on. You can’t rebuild VU in 3 years, in any sport….it may take at least 5 and I like to direction of the mens and womens programs. Covid has set that timeline back another 2 years…..we must be more patient.
Disu was the best player we lost, but the larger issue is that Jankovich, McBride, DeZonie, Daniels, Harvey, Frank, Mann and Dorsey have all left prior to their using up their eligibility, and outside of Jankovich this has been over the last two seasons. Which means that we have four reliable players coming into next season who played with us last season. So while we generally been good about not letting players we wanted to keep go, we certainly could be in a more certain position going into next season than we currently are. It does seem that the level of recruiting has been trending upwards, so hopefully there will be a breakthrough despite us losing our starting backcourt and two time 1st team All SEC PG and SEC leading scorer. While some think it unimportant, figuring out how to replace Pippen, who is currently playing in the NBA summer league (7 assist and 11 points in 16 minutes as I type) will have an impact on next season.
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

And Mr Memorial just earned the “foe” button.
There’s no need for misogynistic garbage on this board, or anywhere.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Jankovich, McBride, Daniels, Harvey, Frank, Mann and Dorsey were all terrible...far from SEC caliber. A blessing they left and made room for others.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:40 pm Jordon Wright outscored Pip 24 to 10 against Belmont
And how many times did this phenomenon of Wright outscoring Pippen occur last season?
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Nashmann wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:02 pm Jankovich, McBride, Daniels, Harvey, Frank, Mann and Dorsey were all terrible...far from SEC caliber. A blessing they left and made room for others.
That is the point - 7 misses in recruiting over a 2 year period (ignoring Jank and including DeZonie). Those scholarships could have been used on player who were useful and those players could have been developed for a year or two under CJS and be ready to go this season. It is good that we haven't lost too many players that we've wanted to keep. It is bad that there have been so many players that we've not wanted to keep.

BTW, McBride was actually pretty good at ORU this past season. I'd hazard to guess that he'd be ahead of Thomas on the depth chart this season.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Jason94 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:24 am
Nashmann wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:02 pm Jankovich, McBride, Daniels, Harvey, Frank, Mann and Dorsey were all terrible...far from SEC caliber. A blessing they left and made room for others.
That is the point - 7 misses in recruiting over a 2 year period (ignoring Jank and including DeZonie). Those scholarships could have been used on player who were useful and those players could have been developed for a year or two under CJS and be ready to go this season. It is good that we haven't lost too many players that we've wanted to keep. It is bad that there have been so many players that we've not wanted to keep.

BTW, McBride was actually pretty good at ORU this past season. I'd hazard to guess that he'd be ahead of Thomas on the depth chart this season.
You do a great job of cherry picking and Monday morning quarterbacking to make your points. You fail to mention the hurdles Covid presented to Stack in his recruiting. Harvey and Frank were both highly regarded recruits and filling out a reasonable roster probably was first and foremost in his mind. You don’t really know why some of the other players left and it’s disingenuous to place all the blame on Stack. Prima donnas coming out of high schools all believe they are NBA bound and if they don’t start right away, they are now given an opportunity to transfer, no questions asked!

Jason, you often make great comments, but these events are in the past and we don’t really know all the problems that has existed the last few years. Vanderbilt basketball no longer enjoys the reputation of the 60s and 70s and most kids couldn’t tell you where VU is located and what conference! Stack had so many obstacles to overcome, but this year’s class appears to be encouraging. VU is even more elite scholastically than ever and I’m certain many kids have a difficult time culturally and athletically. As far as I’m concerned, this is year one for Stack, so if things don’t improve over the next couple of years, changes will be made. Right now, I believe Stack can get things going in the right direction as much as anyone else could do, so let’s not continue to beat the dead horse of the past couple of years.

The landscape today has experienced an upheaval unlike anything in history and basketball and football will not ever be the same. It remains to be seen how VU will fit in this everchanging model, but my guess is that we will have even more difficulty competing in the years ahead against our current peers.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Ndorefin wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:36 pm
Jason94 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:24 am

You do a great job of cherry picking and Monday morning quarterbacking to make your points. You fail to mention the hurdles Covid presented to Stack in his recruiting. Harvey and Frank were both highly regarded recruits and filling out a reasonable roster probably was first and foremost in his mind. You don’t really know why some of the other players left and it’s disingenuous to place all the blame on Stack. Prima donnas coming out of high schools all believe they are NBA bound and if they don’t start right away, they are now given an opportunity to transfer, no questions asked!

Jason, you often make great comments, but these events are in the past and we don’t really know all the problems that has existed the last few years. Vanderbilt basketball no longer enjoys the reputation of the 60s and 70s and most kids couldn’t tell you where VU is located and what conference! Stack had so many obstacles to overcome, but this year’s class appears to be encouraging. VU is even more elite scholastically than ever and I’m certain many kids have a difficult time culturally and athletically. As far as I’m concerned, this is year one for Stack, so if things don’t improve over the next couple of years, changes will be made. Right now, I believe Stack can get things going in the right direction as much as anyone else could do, so let’s not continue to beat the dead horse of the past couple of years.

The landscape today has experienced an upheaval unlike anything in history and basketball and football will not ever be the same. It remains to be seen how VU will fit in this everchanging model, but my guess is that we will have even more difficulty competing in the years ahead against our current peers.
You may disagree with what I post or how I post it, but I'd have to disagree that I am cherry picking. I try to be thorough in my posts and look at the overall, which is probably why it seems like I am beating a dead horse. Harvey and Frank may have seemed like a good idea based on who they were recruited by, but their stats suggested that they were unlikely to be successful, and I said so when they were signed, meaning that their struggles shouldn't have come as a major surprise. If I could see potential issues, he should have had someone on his staff saying the same thing. And if he didn't, then hopefully he has addressed and corrected that. If I can see this stuff using a $20 kenpom subscription, what is his excuse?

I'm not saying that CJS didn't have hurdles, but it is a fact that he has had recruiting misses and has had difficulty understanding the type of athlete who might most fit in to the program. And regardless of the hurdles that were not of his making, these misses have not helped the program. I also think he can get there, but I also believe that a recruiting approach with a better understanding of the type of player who will thrive in the VU culture would have had us a little bit further along at this point, and really poised to make some noise this season. He's done a great job with having a mix of depth and talent in the post, and really just needs a little more wing talent to make us a team that is one that nobody will want to face.

Basically everything you say I did not disagree with, and it is all the more reason to have a clear approach when it comes to culture when looking at recruits. It isn't as though he has to recreate it either - the blueprint is set and he just needs to adapt it to his brand of basketball. But every move that he currently makes takes place within the context of what has happened in previous seasons. Cleary CJS has talent and probably will get to where we want, but like CKS he is not without his faults that could be creating a bit of a ceiling for him. I think CJS's faults are more easily correctable as well, as they aren't related to his personality and are related to roster management, which is much less engraned.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Good response!
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:12 pm
quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:39 pm Awesome get, we've been after him forever. Per Jason's other post, there's seemingly a logjam at the PG position and it's inevitable that we're going to see some transfers at the 1. We need some large SG that can also play the 3 next!
Yeah - that there is a logjam isn't a reason to be against getting a very talented guard. Seems like we should be set at PG for at least a few seasons. Definitely need more wing players.
Amen to that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic