If Wade or Pearl coached Vanderbilt…

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

If Wade or Pearl coached Vanderbilt…

Post by Golddore68 »

Could you support a coach like Will Wade or Bruce Pearl at Vanderbilt?

They both have been investigated by the NCAA for illegal recruiting, but both have been very successful and are top 20 teams.

Would you trade NCAA investigations for wins? Fans at LSU and Auburn have. Their fans love their coaches and neither is on a “hot seat” to be fired because their teams are so successful.

Like Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss, the fans and AD were fine with him being investigated for cheating in recruiting.it was only when it was discovered that he called prostitutes on his office phone that he was fired. Cheating in recruiting, no big deal. Calling prostitutes — you’re fired!

I personally wouldn’t want to have a coach who is investigated for illegal recruiting, even if we won a bunch of games, won the SEC and the NCAA championship. It wouldn’t be worth it to me.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: If Wade or Pearl coached Vanderbilt…

Post by charlestonalum »

No: character counts since these people mould young people. Grantland Rice was correct: it's "how you play the game." Win at any cost is for other Universities - not my Vanderbilt.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Agree completely with this sentiment, as I indicated in the Auburn thread re: Bruce Pearl. Thanks, but no thanks!
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

I would take Bruce Pearl today. Did anyone see the clip of him addressing the students just before the KY game ? Google it. It was amazing. We need some of that energy.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

GoVU wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:35 am I would take Bruce Pearl today. Did anyone see the clip of him addressing the students just before the KY game ? Google it. It was amazing. We need some of that energy.
Go root for Auburn then. Pearl is a slimeball. Got a show cause in his past. Even win-at-all-costs UT cut ties with him. Hard pass.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

GoVU wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:35 am I would take Bruce Pearl today. Did anyone see the clip of him addressing the students just before the KY game ? Google it. It was amazing. We need some of that energy.
Well, we need some students first.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

no.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

I have complicated views of Bruce Pearl.

When he was at UT, I hated him because UT, but I found him entertaining. I love that in his opening press conference after being hired he was asked when he liked to practice and said something like "I practice when Pat Summitt doesn't, and when I win 5 national titles we can talk". I loved that he showed up in the student section at UT Women's games. He was a blowhard, but an entertaining blowhard.

Then he got caught not only cheating, but lying about cheating to boot.

BUT

In this new age of NIL an pay-for-play ... is it still possible to cheat in recruiting? Is offering recruits money (or parking permits) even against the rules anymore?

I still don't think coaches like Pearl could handle the fact that at Vandy there are certain recruits that he can't recruit (even if he could get them to want to come here). That might be my biggest objection.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

mathguy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:45 am I have complicated views of Bruce Pearl.

When he was at UT, I hated him because UT, but I found him entertaining. I love that in his opening press conference after being hired he was asked when he liked to practice and said something like "I practice when Pat Summitt doesn't, and when I win 5 national titles we can talk". I loved that he showed up in the student section at UT Women's games. He was a blowhard, but an entertaining blowhard.

Then he got caught not only cheating, but lying about cheating to boot.

BUT

In this new age of NIL an pay-for-play ... is it still possible to cheat in recruiting? Is offering recruits money (or parking permits) even against the rules anymore?

I still don't think coaches like Pearl could handle the fact that at Vandy there are certain recruits that he can't recruit (even if he could get them to want to come here). That might be my biggest objection.
There are still rules and regulations regarding recruiting even with NIL.

For instance there are “dead periods” when coaches are not supposed to make contact with recruits.

Considering that Pearl and Wade have shown that they have no regards for the rules, when they sign a 5-star recruit, I wonder what illegal things they did to sign them.

Like, did they illegally recruit them during the “dead period?” That would give them an unfair advantage over other schools.

I’m sure there are rules and regulations in regards to what coaches can do with NIL in regards to recruiting, too. But while every other SEC coach is abiding by these rules, Pearl and Wade don’t care about the rules and they’re getting players unfairly that of they were following the rules they wouldn’t necessarily be able to recruit.

When coaches don’t follow the rules and the NCAA doesn’t do anything about it other than a “slap on the wrist,” it’s not fair. I wouldn’t want a coach who is not abiding by these rules.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

The NCAA for years has lacked a certain metaphorical part of the male anatomy.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

Rick Pitino is openly lobbying for a job in one of the five big conferences. He turned Iona around overnight. Some one will grab him and never look back at all of his many indiscretions.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The fact that Will Wade is still coaching is a national disgrace.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:09 pm The fact that Will Wade is still coaching is a national disgrace.
Absolutely !
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

GoVU wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:18 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:09 pm The fact that Will Wade is still coaching is a national disgrace.
Absolutely !
Well isn't it an LSU disgrace not national. Most of us have said VU for one would not have him.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

In my view most people have developed from childhood some sort of system of integrity and honesty. I think that some of the coaches in the SEC are lacking in those characteristics. Generally, people do not change their character during their lifetime.

So, I believe that the underlying character of Wade, Pearl or Calipari will not change. They just do not believe that the rules apply to them. They are free to do whatever they want.

Integrity, honesty and character are important to me. I think those are the values of Vandy. In conclusion, I would never support Wade, Pearl or Calipari as coaches at Vandy. They do not represent our values.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Will Wade was actually on our hot list and was in the final 3 when we hired Drew. I believe he coached at Franklin Road Academy and was well liked with local appeal, but fortunately we hired Drew (😂🤣😂😅) instaed!
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

I think Pearl is the type of coach that you hate if he coaches against you, but you love if he is your coach. I thought the violations at UT were rather minor, and you could almost overlook that, but there were also issues at Auburn with assistant coaches that got Auburn put on probation, so I think that points to a rather persistent problem with him. I would pass. I think Wade is obviously dirty, and it has been shown that he has, but for some reason, the NCAA has not punished him. I would pass on him as well.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I don't know how to answer this question, but I will say this:

At some point, Vanderbilt has to either get rid of sports or hire a coach or two who can put some energy and FUN into the program. I mean... those Auburn students who were out there on Saturday looked like they were having fun. They were smiling, laughing. One of them is my good friend's daughter, and she's majoring in engineering, and that's a pretty hard major at that school. So she works hard!

Let's take your typical Vanderbilt senior today: have they EVER been to a fun football or basketball game? EVER??? If so, that game would that be?

I realize there's baseball... but most of the important baseball games happen long after the students are gone.

For several years now, Vanderbilt football has been in the dumps AND Vanderbilt men's basketball has been in the dumps AND Vanderbilt women's basketball has been in the dumps. I don't know which one is worse; I don't really want to know. I do know that the last 8 or 10 games I've attended have all been losses, and none of them were much fun, and they all got me wondering about what it was like to be in that stadium/gym when there was some excitement in there. Meanwhile we have a football coach who sways back and forth and hasn't won an SEC game yet, and a basketball coach who stands tall in his cool suite and doesn't say much and hasn't won very many SEC games yet. At this point, the last real excitement was several players/years/coaches/athletic directors ago. ("Remember that time we beat Tennessee? Remember that time Shane Foster scored 42 points? Remember that time James Franklin got in a tussle with Grantham?) At this point I don't see a lot of evidence that anyone even KNOWS that there was once excitement.

I'd LOVE to see someone with raw freaking enthusiasm.
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

[quote=historybill post_id=165803 time=1643059458 user_id=219]

At some point, Vanderbilt has to either get rid of sports or hire a coach or two who can put some energy and FUN into the program.

It would be a lot more FUN given any sports to support a WINNING team.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

The root cause of Pearl's problems at UT was simple: he invited and had a high school recruit visit his home for a cookout with players. His major mistake was lying to the school and the NCAA about having the recruit over, and encouraging others to lie about it too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Pearl Obviously it was wrong to do that. For those offenses, the NCAA essentially put him on probation and he was out of coaching for 3 years. In a different setting, that would be considered "paying his debt to society."

But I gotta say: if I'm a parent of a player, I'd like for my son or daughter to be invited over to the coach's home for a group cookout. I'd like my child's coach to show a little humanity toward his players.

I don't know what else, if anything, Pearl is alleged to have done at other places. BUT if the Knoxville thing is all that he's done, or even the worst he's done, I'd hire him in a NY minute.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Locked Previous topicNext topic