Belmont Beats Iona

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Belmont Beats Iona

Post by commadore »

72-65. That is the same Iona that beat Alabama.

cc11316
Rear Admiral

Re: Belmont Beats Iona

Post by cc11316 »

Hard to figure Belmont - they are a very experienced team and definitely a threat and then they lose to LSU by 30. Next game is against Dayton which had a huge upset of Kansas today. I don't want any part of Belmont right now ... is what teams will be saying in March as well.
Mcflash
Lieutenant

Post by Mcflash »

Belmont is very solid, but they have not much of a bench. Depth could present problems down the road.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Once Belmont moves to the MVC next fall, trips to the big dance might be harder to come by.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Belmont has had better coaching than Vanderbilt for the last quarter century. Not surprised to see them doing well.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:02 pm Belmont has had better coaching than Vanderbilt for the last quarter century. Not surprised to see them doing well.
I hear they lost to Dayton today who dresses 12 freshmen.

Some of those freshmen are pretty good, but still a very young team. Belmont dresses 8 juniors/seniors.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:24 pm
Doreknox wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:02 pm Belmont has had better coaching than Vanderbilt for the last quarter century. Not surprised to see them doing well.
I hear they lost to Dayton today who dresses 12 freshmen.

Some of those freshmen are pretty good, but still a very young team. Belmont dresses 8 juniors/seniors.
You mean the Dayton that you mentioned just beat KU? A Kansas team that starts 4 junior/seniors? So is losing to Dayton a bad thing or not? I'd also not assume that moving to a stronger conference would mean that tournament appearances would be necessarily more difficult. The gravity of the conference would likely help overall SOS, and the MVC has often times received multiple bids, something that was definitely not true with the ASun or OVC. It is also a conference that traditionally has had excellent coaching that major programs would traditionally raid when looking for their next coach.

I find it odd that for all of your praising of mid-majors, that you wouldn't be fully on the Belmont Bandwagon. After all, it wasn't but 2 or so decades ago that they were an NAIA school and now are regularly knocking off high major schools - didn't even have a conference for their first few years in Div I. Without a doubt a great local success story.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

When did I praise mid-majors? I did say they are closing the talent gap, but that is obvious.

The MVC hasn’t earned a non-automatic bid since 2016 (Wichita State) and while the MVC did well at getting a coveted "second bid" for a long time, that was mostly before Wichita and Creighton bolted. Right now Loyola is the only MVC team KEN POM lists as top 50, so a 2nd bid might be tough to get again as the WCC has three in addition to Gonzaga in the top 50 at the moment. MWC has three of the top 60 by the way and five of the top 70.

Belmont went D-1 in 1996 and their last 9 years in NAIA, were contenders every year. Belmont has been good for a long time, thus not sure why people should be required to do backflips and summersaults over whatever they do in the MVC. The OVC is a sinking ship, so a step up should indicate a tougher league schedule.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:52 pm When did I praise mid-majors? I did say they are closing the talent gap, but that is obvious.

The MVC hasn’t earned a non-automatic bid since 2016 (Wichita State) and while the MVC did well at getting a coveted "second bid" for a long time, that was mostly before Wichita and Creighton bolted. Right now Loyola is the only MVC team KEN POM lists as top 50, so a 2nd bid might be tough to get again as the WCC has three in addition to Gonzaga in the top 50 at the moment. MWC has three of the top 60 by the way and five of the top 70.

Belmont went D-1 in 1996 and their last 9 years in NAIA, were contenders every year. Belmont has been good for a long time, thus not sure why people should be required to do backflips and summersaults over whatever they do in the MVC. The OVC is a sinking ship, so a step up should indicate a tougher league schedule.
Your hyperbole needs adjustment. Most here are rightfully praising a program that has successfully made the transition, and you call that "doing backflips"? Who cares about NAIA good? That doesn't necessarily translate to the D1 and certainly doesn't imply that you are a tournament contender on a yearly basis. None of this was preordained, and your lack of appreciation of this fact is very odd.

Maybe I am missing something, but the MVC has had multiple bids just last year, as well as in 2016, 2015, 2013 and 2012. That is five of the last 10 seasons for those counting at home. The OVC OTOH is definitely a one bid league (outside of rare exceptions that are leaving the conference). Belmont is (as is every other mid-major program) dying for a better schedule, especially one where good teams come to their home gym on a yearly basis. OVC is a sinking ship largely because Belmont's departure started a flurry of departures, soon to include Murray St., who could end up in the MVC as well.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Lots of mid-majors have over-achieved. Including VCU who just beat us. Creighton. Butler. Loyola. St. Mary's. James Madison. Wichita State. But while it's easy to respect them all for their over-achieving, there is no clear reason as a VU fan, why to get all kissy face and huggy bear about those schools. Especially "Liberty." Other than Belmont being geographically nearby, is there a reason to pull for them and not, let's say, Creighton?

As a matter of fact, uut is not that far up I-40 and I will NEVER pull for them. You can pull for teams based on geography if you like. No law against it.

I was eating breakfast at a Steak & Shake once back in the day and an old timer across at the other table said he pulled for uut because his tax money went up there, it was why he "bleeds orange." I asked that since his tax money also goes to Austin Peay, does that make him "bleed Peay." He had no answer.

However, APSU is a mid-major and we play them soon and they are nearby more or less. But I won't be changing sides and pulling for them. And one thing is certain, Belmont people don't pull for Vandy. The first game Stallings coached at Memorial Gym was against Belmont and their students came in our gym and acted like classless bunch of vulgar *****s. Worse than drunk SEC fans. Plus there are lots of non-basketball related reasons to not like Belmont (and especially "Liberty") but to keep the thread from getting locked, I won't go into those.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Have a somewhat related to thread question. With all the recruiting regulations, how can Dayton dress 12 frosh unless most are walkons ?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

OldDude wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:15 pm Have a somewhat related to thread question. With all the recruiting regulations, how can Dayton dress 12 frosh unless most are walkons ?
Apparently 8 are redshirt freshmen. Some are transfers. One is from ETSU. One is from Alabama State. One is from DePaul. etc.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:36 pm
OldDude wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:15 pm Have a somewhat related to thread question. With all the recruiting regulations, how can Dayton dress 12 frosh unless most are walkons ?
Apparently 8 are redshirt freshmen. Some are transfers. One is from ETSU. One is from Alabama State. One is from DePaul. etc.
So weird anymore. Thanks !
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Yep. Seems like the NCAA found the pandemic was the opportunity to toss the rulebook out the window.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

OldDude wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm
So weird anymore. Thanks !
Here's one for you.

Remember KJ Walton? Mizzou - 2015/2016?

He's in his 7th year of college: Mizzou, Ball State, Akron... I saw a rumor that he quit Akron's team the other day after 6 games...he's already been allowed 2 different redshirt years (?) - so where's he gonna go now? NAIA? Or will the NCAA let him sit out somewhere and have an 8th year of college somewhere and play his 7th season of college ball at his 4th school?

This will be interesting to see what happens.
Locked Previous topicNext topic