Vanderbilt Fanatics Departments
Accessories Auto Gift Cards Collectibles Footwear Golf & Sports
Hats Home & Office Jackets Jerseys Lawn & Garden Pajamas
Pants Polos Shirts & Sweats Shorts Sweatshirts Swim & Beach
T-Shirts Tailgate Baseball Basketball Football Everything
VandyMania is a proud Fanatics affiliate. Help us earn commisions (8%) buy purchasing Vandy gear.

advice to those.....

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold

docdore
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2882
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:26 pm
x 238
Contact:

advice to those.....

Post by docdore » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:46 am

...rankled by mbbcjs words: let it go. give a mulligan. hopefully it won't be an ongoing issue.
4 x



mtnvandy
Commander
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:10 am
x 72
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by mtnvandy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:27 pm

Agree. I think the events of 1/6 made many of us that tend to keep our political views close to our vest to break that practice.

VU MBB just played its best game of the year. Let’s celebrate that!!!

#BeatUK
4 x

vandyhank
Ensign
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:13 pm
x 38
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by vandyhank » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Too bad that conservatives don't get mulligans these days.
3 x

thefan
Captain
Posts: 716
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 am
x 83
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by thefan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:47 pm

Just wonder when the conversation goes the opposite way, the same ones will be more than happy to do the same!
0 x

TwoSaints
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2993
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:23 pm
x 33
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by TwoSaints » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:57 am

thefan wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:47 pm
Just wonder when the conversation goes the opposite way, the same ones will be more than happy to do the same!
Well we let CKS say "I'm going to f**king kill him" to one of our players on national television. So, yeah, I think the liberals on this board have overlooked worse things.
1 x

Jason94
Admiral
Posts: 5148
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:15 am
x 148
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by Jason94 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:54 am

TwoSaints wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:57 am
thefan wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:47 pm
Just wonder when the conversation goes the opposite way, the same ones will be more than happy to do the same!
Well we let CKS say "I'm going to f**king kill him" to one of our players on national television. So, yeah, I think the liberals on this board have overlooked worse things.
I disagree that that statement was "overlooked", or that it was a political statement at all. Bad comparison.
2 x

thefan
Captain
Posts: 716
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 am
x 83
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by thefan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:30 pm

TwoSaints wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:57 am
thefan wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:47 pm
Just wonder when the conversation goes the opposite way, the same ones will be more than happy to do the same!
Well we let CKS say "I'm going to f**king kill him" to one of our players on national television. So, yeah, I think the liberals on this board have overlooked worse things.
That was neither liberal or conservative but Stallings temper overflowing!
3 x

User avatar
underdog74
Vice Admiral
Posts: 3700
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:22 pm
x 37
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by underdog74 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:45 am

Discourse of any type has become so divisive and political in the last few years. Nothing can be written or said without it getting churned through the meat grinder of politics. IMO, this is a direct result of Twitter and related websites. People are constantly barraging one another with opinions and negativity. I often wonder where we go from here? How can it ever get turned around?
6 x

nyyankeeDore
Commander
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:20 am
Location: Nashville
x 48
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by nyyankeeDore » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:53 am

underdog74 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:45 am
Discourse of any type has become so divisive and political in the last few years. Nothing can be written or said without it getting churned through the meat grinder of politics. IMO, this is a direct result of Twitter and related websites. People are constantly barraging one another with opinions and negativity. I often wonder where we go from here? How can it ever get turned around?
Treating and responding to people as individuals (beginning with positive presumptions), rather than as members of any type of group, would be one way to start.
9 x
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#

User avatar
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 10051
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:37 am
Location: Charleston, SC
x 634
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by charlestonalum » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:34 pm

Another related strategy is to compartmentalize subject matter agreeing to disagree on some compartment - like politics or religion but being in agreement on Vanderbilt athletics. In this country we can agree to have different opinions and still get along - if we make the effort or believe it is fine to have different opinions - which, of course, I believe it is. I don't expect everyone to vote for my candidate or to go to my church...
4 x

User avatar
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral
Posts: 1464
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:45 pm
x 125
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by VandyPhile » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:35 pm

Social media is programmed to show you what you are interested in (and therefore what you agree with). Consequently, you only ever see one side of news and views and begin to think “everyone thinks this way!” Thus, when you encounter someone with a different opinion, they must be an idiot or bigot or (choose your own favorite pejorative) because ALL the information (that you have seen or been fed) disagrees with them. The same is happening on their side regarding you.

Grace and humility towards each other helps. Where I work, we use the phrase “assume positive intent”. It’s another way to say “believes all things “ from I Cor 13. Most people have a reason for believing what they do, and often enough it’s a legitimate reason. Even if differs from what you believe.
4 x

vandyhank
Ensign
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:13 pm
x 38
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by vandyhank » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:56 am

Many sports have regrettable become infused with politics.
What our coach is quoted as saying about 75 million Trump voters is evidence of this.
1 x

docdore
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2882
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:26 pm
x 238
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by docdore » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 am

vandyhank wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:56 am
Many sports have regrettable become infused with politics.
What our coach is quoted as saying about 75 million Trump voters is evidence of this.
yawn...could i please cancel this thread which i started?
1 x

alathIN
Rear Admiral
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:35 pm
x 510
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by alathIN » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 am

vandyhank wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:07 pm
Too bad that conservatives don't get mulligans these days.
Nonsense.
Conservatives get unlimited mulligans from other conservatives and liberals get unlimited mulligans from other liberals.
Nobody gets any mulligans from the other side.
And both sides have a persecution complex - although lately one side's delusions of being persecuted by fantastical secret conspiracies have been elevated to unprecedented levels.
I have little doubt that the other side will soon match or even exceed them, though.

When I was a teenager, we'd watch William F Buckley argue with Cornell West and both sides were smarter at the end of it.
Now we watch Tucker Carlson and Bill Maher and everyone is dumber, angrier, and more self-absorbed at the end of it.
5 x

vandyhank
Ensign
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:13 pm
x 38
Contact:

Re: advice to those.....

Post by vandyhank » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:36 am

The cancel culture is not "nonsense."
1 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic