Search found 17 matches

Return

by mathguy
Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Jason Rivera-Torres to announce tomorrow

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:49 pm We need a guy with a really long name like Matthew Fisher Davis or Quentin Millora Brown.
Or David Przbyzyzewszybysbzski?
by mathguy
Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: For those playing along at home, VU still has two remaining roster spots

Regarding QMB -- haven't grad schools completed determining who's coming in the fall by now and so informed the applicants, both athletes and non-athletes? Unless any of us know QMB personally, it seems possible to me that he *has* found a school and that the grad school *is* more important to him ...
by mathguy
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

Big money for athletes and VU are not a good match. Could be the end of schools like ours competing in big time college sports if that is what the model is (very quickly) evolving to. From what I've read in other posts and elsewhere, it does seem that that players like Tyrin get approached by other...
by mathguy
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:31 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

Honestly, there is no difference in these athletes and everyone else in there generation. They want a job where they can work from home, start at $75 an hour, play with the cat and watch some tv during work hours. If someone pushes back, they quit and sit at home collecting their unemployment until...
by mathguy
Tue May 09, 2023 5:28 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tyrin Lawrence

Vandy187187 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:03 pmI don't know how you can sugar coat the fact that we are arguably going into next year with less talent, experience, and hope than at any time as a VU fan sans 1 or 2 years.
I don't have time for a long post, but I don't need to "sugar coat" that because I flat out reject the premise.
by mathguy
Fri May 12, 2023 10:18 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Year's Starting 5

I think Noah Shelby is a different case. He had potential and I think his father (he knows the sport) understood that some patience was going to be required, but Noah didn’t want to wait. C-USA has proven to be a pretty good basketball conference over the years. I don’t think Shelby’s transfer is a...
by mathguy
Thu May 18, 2023 1:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: OK Back To Recruiting

What if Dort gets an injury next year like he did this year? Then what? Then we remember the time Vandy made the sweet 16 with Ross Neltner pretending he was a center. I love small lineups and think they can work like they did in 93 as well with Elder at PF, but both the 93 and 07 teams had all Ame...
by mathguy
Fri May 19, 2023 3:58 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Derrian Ford to Arkansas State

bornadore57 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:51 pm Didn't we have room for Lawrence and Ford? I'm hoping Lawrence comes back and we come up with a more experienced big man, to round out the roster.
Room on the roster? Sure. Room on the court, not so much.
by mathguy
Wed May 24, 2023 7:47 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FWIW - Lawrence

So you admit we played poorly for the first two months (and even up until the Bama game where we got destroyed). then we picked it up over the last 14 games or so, but were not dominant during that stretch - we won a bunch of close games at home for the most part. I'm not following why the NET is s...
by mathguy
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:59 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stackhouse

I'd say that you are massively underrating CKS based upon his being an ass. Regardless of whether his teams "underperformed" (which based upon his players sticking in the NBA is debatable), you cannot simply wave away making the tournament 5 of 6 seasons, multiple sweet 16's, a SEC champi...
by mathguy
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:08 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 21st Century Teams

Demote Jenkins and Ogilvy ... promote Festus and either Byars or Taylor. Probably Taylor if we're giving bonus points for 4 years. If we're looking for places for Siakam, Dan Cage, or Corey Smith, I'm very okay with kicking off Damian Jones who was more talented, but had a wildly inconsistent motor....
by mathguy
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:18 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: James Strong named as new assistant coach

I always loved that James Strong-Atiba Prater backcourt we had for awhile. Two of my favorite Dores.

Also two of the quicker and more athletic guards we've had over the years. I often wish we had more players like them!
by mathguy
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:31 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Too soon for locker room material???

We'll see what ends up happening, but I expect this to be a classic case of "we're better than people expect us to be, and we all know it ... but they clearly don't". From the outside looking in: Last year we were a mediocre team that got hot late, but still only made the NIT. From that te...
by mathguy
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:49 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Something does not seem to quite add up. Strong graduated in 2000. 23 years ago. Yet he has not especially advanced as a coach. In no way do I question his ability as a player at Vandy. Or his dedication to Vandy, although he spent quite a few years elsewhere, for example as an assistant at Belmont...
by mathguy
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:59 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: tyler tanner

Said it before and I'll say it again. The best team we've had since I've started following Vandy basketball (which, sadly, was 1994 ... one year too late), was a team that played a 6-5 guard at power forward and a 6-9 9pt/5reb guy at center. If the team is good, I don't care that we're small. That d...
by mathguy
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good point. Upward mobility (up to a point) is over-sold and over-sought. No one wants to live on the government dime or from paycheck to paycheck. But societal pressure to get that next promotion, to buy that bigger house or better car is intense. It's especially hard for me to understand with pro...
by mathguy
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:23 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Non-conference schedule released

I'm OK with this. We *should* start 4-0. NC St, and BYU/ASU may not be world beaters but will be good tests for us. BC should be a win, and I know they aren't what they used to be, but they're still an ACC team. Memphis will be a test ... after we've had 10 games to figure out who we are, and after ...