Search found 21 matches

Return

by historybill
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:57 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SC run rules florida

Petry had a 3-run homer for South Carolina, and the freshman now has NINETEEN home runs.

Good grief, kid.

At one point does everyone just intentionally walk the guy?
by historybill
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Does this mean the season is over?

Only a week ago, VU beat #6 South Carolina, solidifying its number 4 ranking. Since that time they've lost 4 games, 3 of them in humiliating fashion, and all of them to teams that were unranked at the time. (I'm making the brave assumption that they won't overcome the 9-0 deficit.) I don't think I'v...
by historybill
Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:09 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I Absolutely Hate the Transfer Portal and the NIL

I'm with you. I hate it. During the Stallings years, there were a lot of fine young men who played for Vanderbilt for 4 years (or at least 3) who my son and I got to know at the games and basketball camps and such. I've got photos of my son with Jeff Taylor, Lance Goulborne, Festus Ezeli and John Je...
by historybill
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:40 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: OT: Kentucky's Will Levis

I watch football in the fall, but don't follow the draft and the combine.

I'm shocked and amused that two quarterbacks who were outplayed by MIKE WRIGHT and who lost to a Vanderbilt team that had lost TWENTY SIX CONSECUTIVE SEC GAMES would go so high in the NFL draft.
by historybill
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:09 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Redshirt catcher Cade Law is transferring

But the important thing, with all that is happening in the world, is that it is "God's Plan" that he walk away from the Vanderbilt baseball team in the middle of the season to play football somewhere else.

Oh my. The ego.
by historybill
Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:50 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kentucky v Vanderbilt #2

Do you ******* have to interview JAMES FRANKLIN at the Vanderbilt game???

I was enjoying watching this and then they did that.

WHY????

Are they also going to interview all the basketball players that just entered the transfer portal?
by historybill
Sun May 07, 2023 7:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Road teams taking a beating this weekend

commadore wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:19 pm Looks like Wake Forrest will be #1 this week.
The private school in Winston Salem is not named for Nathan Bedford and has only one R.
by historybill
Tue May 09, 2023 3:10 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Notre Dame LB transfer headed to Vandy?

Hope so!

We could use a good linebacker from Jonesborough!

Also... any high school football player who left Washington County to play at Notre Dame is special in many ways.
by historybill
Wed May 10, 2023 12:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The color guy last night

I've got to agree with the sentiment here.

That guy last night was awful.
by historybill
Sun May 14, 2023 10:28 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some version of the NIL existed at VU.... in 1901

In 1901 there was a clothing store in Nashville which gave free suits to Vanderbilt football star John Edgerton in exchange for the right to use his name. The clothier ran ads in the Hustler and I think in Nashville newspapers that said "John E. Edgerton will be glad to see his friends at Varle...
by historybill
Sun May 28, 2023 10:01 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In a year in which the SEC is the best EVER in baseball, a chance to win the tourney

I know that the big games start next week, but nevertheless.

I think I'm right about this.... in baseball, the SEC has NEVER had as many great teams as it does this year, right?
by historybill
Sun May 28, 2023 3:35 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEC Championship: Vandy-Texas A&M

God these announcers never ever ever talk about the game.
by historybill
Sun May 28, 2023 4:04 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I did, and turned on the radio coverage. Much better. Those tv announcers are like sitting in front of 3 idiotic frat boys who never shut up and who have no interesting experiences or thoughts
by historybill
Sun May 28, 2023 5:51 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Let's hope that winning the SEC tournament gives our team confidence, but not satisfaction. In any case, it is remarkable that only 9 days ago, Vanderbilt was trailing Arkansas 8-2 in the 8th inning and appeared to be on the verge of being swept (again), and there appeared to be little chance that t...
by historybill
Sun May 28, 2023 6:30 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Satisfying thought

The Vanderbilt baseball team is now wearing "Vanderbilt SEC Tournament 2023 Champion" jerseys. Somewhere in Hoover, Alabama, the "Texas A&M SEC Tournament 2023 Champion" jerseys are in a series of boxes. In a few weeks, they will be shipped to a remote part of the planet -- w...
by historybill
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tyrin is OFFICIALLY back

I know that it is rightfully difficult for some of us "old schoolers" to deal with the transfer portal and the emotional roller coaster it put fans through... but.. Just know that normal students don't have to publicly "declare" that they are in the transfer portal... they just s...
by historybill
Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:54 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NIL vs IRS

It's amazing to think that an "institution of higher learning" could have even conceived the notion that an NIL could be set up as tax exempt.

I mean... obviously this is supplemental endorsement income.
by historybill
Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:08 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Here are your 2024 opponents

To many of us who grew up in the 10-team SEC, this obviously no longer even feels like an SEC schedule. We don't play EITHER Mississippi team OR Georgia OR Florida. Alabama won't play either Mississippi team either in 2024. Auburn doesn't play LSU. They need to just change the name of the conference...
by historybill
Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So who is everyone pulling for.....

I've been pulling for the SEC my whole life, but now that the SEC is taking on Texas and Oklahoma and will consist of 16 teams, I can't do it anymore. With 16 teams, many of which were hand picked because they ARE huge schools that overemphasize athletics, the SEC SHOULD dominate all sports. At this...
by historybill
Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:43 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Strange time to be playing a football game against Hawaii

► Show Spoiler
... only a few weeks after the worst thing that's befallen that state since before it became a state, I suppose.