Search found 25 matches

Return

by alathIN
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

:x VU definitely has to deal with this NIL crap. It is a major part of getting and keeping the attention of young men in an immediate gratification world. Yeah, I'm an old curmudgeon too, but I think even you and I would not be likely to stay in a job if we had an offer to do the same work for drama...
by alathIN
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

yes, this is an instant gratification society we live in. No one wants to work for anything. So what I'm hearing you say is: 1. Tyrin Lawrence is unwilling to work hard on his game. He's just lazy. 2. Moving to a higher paying job so he can support his family is a character flaw. Only lazy people d...
by alathIN
Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:03 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Where I disagree on this is going to college is not a job, it's an education. A multi-kabillion $ entertainment industry says no, you're wrong, it's a business. Beer companies and truck companies don't pay the equivalent of a small country's GDP for advertising on the nationwide broadcast of your f...
by alathIN
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:49 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How does NIL work?

I wish I knew how the whole NIL thing works, from both the giving and the receiving side. Hypothetical: Let’s say that I am a rabid Vandy alum and basketball fan, with a net worth of, say, $25M (remember I said hypothetical). And I want to donate 10% of that to encourage athletes to come to Vandy. ...
by alathIN
Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:15 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NIL thoughts

I don’t find your explanation of why it can’t be changed compelling at all. The players do not have inherent value without the name on their jersey, money making leagues to play in, and tv contracts to get their name, image, and likeness known… the players are partners in profit with the schools an...
by alathIN
Mon May 08, 2023 5:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gentry Estes: Clark Lea has new ally in Vandy's rebuild, David Culley

I'm glad Lea is reaching out to VU people of different generations. This has been lacking in the past.
by alathIN
Thu May 11, 2023 5:52 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tyrin Lawrence

If you think there is someone better out there for us…..good luck with that! Do you think that making the NCAA tournament is a pipe dream, and that only with extreme luck we can get there? I think that we will need to build and retain a legit SEC roster with much less NIL money than any other SEC t...
by alathIN
Sat May 13, 2023 7:09 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The color guy last night

Allegretta takes some time, but because I always listen to the radio and watch muted TV, I have grown fond of Andrew. But it did take a year! He is very knowledgeable and does far more homework than Joe ever did. But Joe was easier to listen to, for sure. Joe and Charlie Mac were the two best radio...
by alathIN
Wed May 17, 2023 5:56 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Some Tyrin news

Loyalty's great when it runs both ways. But when coaches can run off players as soon as they find someone they think is better, it's hard to blame the players for moving on when they find a better deal. And I'm not sure you can say "free education." Legit SEC athletes have rare talent, the...
by alathIN
Wed May 17, 2023 6:03 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Some Tyrin news

So you're saying if there was NIL + transfer portal 50 years ago, no one would have taken advantage of it? There were "$100 handshakes" in the 50s, decades before it was legal. There would not have been an NIL back then. Yes, $50 handshakes, but NIL would have been taboo. $50 handshakes? ...
by alathIN
Tue May 23, 2023 6:06 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tasos Kamateros

Earlier I heard a podcast guest opining that the key for lower conference players transitioning to the SEC was whether they had a larger or smaller role on the new team. Kind of rang true. We've seen guys before who were really good contributors as the third or fourth scoring option, but fell flat w...
by alathIN
Sat May 27, 2023 7:59 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I really don't like Florida

If the Vandyboys lose to Arkansas or Alabama or LSU I can manage. We ran up against a good team who played well. Hats off to them. But Florida, Mississippi State, and the East Trailerpark Chuggers are different. Please Vandyboys knock off the loathsome swamp reptiles today. For the future of human c...
by alathIN
Sat May 27, 2023 3:03 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Support for a 9-game SEC slate is reportedly waning

I don't really like either solution and wish they could have left the conference as it was. But as a Vanderbilt fan, we need 4 OOC games more than we need permanent rivals.
by alathIN
Wed May 31, 2023 5:27 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tyrin

Am I the only one that feels kind of "used" in this whole process? But, don't miss my overall feeling, which is that we'd be very happy for him to don the Black & Gold again next year.... I hear ya. However, given the current NIL landscape, I can’t say I blame the kid for handling the...
by alathIN
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Allen-Lubin today in u19 USA vs Madagascar

Nashmann wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:30 am Not bad first game....
That was an impactful 16 minutes.
I think this will be great experience for him.
My first impression was he looks like a guy who doesn't get pushed around too easily.
by alathIN
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:22 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Podcast: Mike Wright talks about his decision to transfer from VU to Miss. State

HIs decision to transfer kind of makes sense, if you think about it. He could either stay at Vandy and be the backup for A.J. Swann for the next 2-3 years or... yes, he's likely to play behind Will Rogers this season, but if he doesn't play in more than four games, he could redshirt, and then have ...
by alathIN
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:37 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: OT: Serious allegations against Northwestern, Pat Fitzgerald

The whistleblower has now been quoted by the Daily Northwestern as wanting to “absolutely seek to get Fitz out of the Program”. Sorry I may be old and insensitive, but innocent until proven guilty means something. Allegations from someone with a motive, from the me first generation… just don’t carr...
by alathIN
Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:45 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tennessean's 5 burning questions for Clark Lea; story on commitment Glenn Seabrooks

The reactions to Lea's "best program in the country" remark say more about college football culture than they do about Lea or Vanderbilt. "Best program" was automatically interpreted as most national championships - turning into another UGA or Bama - which does seem extremely unl...
by alathIN
Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:42 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh, the humanity!

All the hand wringing about playing this season in a stadium under reconstruction :roll: We've been clamoring for facilities upgrades for 35 years (that I am personally aware of). Now we get a new administration who cares about sports and we jump into upgrades, and we're complaining about the inconv...
by alathIN
Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:05 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: James Strong named as new assistant coach

If he is a great coach, why has he not advanced to being a head coach at some school, especially at his age? I used to think this way, generally. But as I've gotten older, I've moved away from this presumption. That doesn't mean you're ultimately wrong, but I've run into way too many situations whe...