Search found 50 matches

Return

by roanoke
Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:47 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

a few positives from last night’s debacle

It is a long season and there are going to be games like that one. It hurts because it was in hand all night - until it wasn’t. It is a dangerous series because UT is backed into a corner and has plenty of talent. Again, it is a long season - ask Ole Miss after last year. Even in a bad loss, there w...
by roanoke
Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:34 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No positives, but same lessons

Through 3 innings, 5 LOB. Bases loaded and no one out in second - no runs. The staff needs to require contact when contact is required. The glaring fails the last two days put more focus on this recurring problem. We really need to deal with it. We hack too much, stroke not enough. Bunt and swing to...
by roanoke
Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:36 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: OT: Kentucky's Will Levis

While I agree with the sentiment here - I don’t necessarily agree with the negativity. Both Levis and Richardson present uncertainties. Levis is a very good player - with very good skills. He also lacks some skills - which means he requires a fit. Give him a good line and receivers and coach Jim tha...
by roanoke
Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:03 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kentucky v Vanderbilt #2

I know modern baseball emphasizes and prioritizes home runs, but my goodness, what happened to choking up and going with the pitch? Diaz just struck out on a 3-2 pitch with a runner on 3rd and 1 out trying to pull a fastball on the outer half of the plate. I know I come from a different, long ago m...
by roanoke
Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:55 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vanderbilt-Kentucky 3

Lead off runners make things happen.
by roanoke
Thu May 04, 2023 5:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: JJ Bleday

Home run today.
by roanoke
Fri May 05, 2023 12:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Expectations from here

I hesitate to post this here at the cusp of a very hard stretch of schedule: But the goal and expectation of this team should be to win the World Series in Omaha. It’s easy to say that the sky is falling - and it may darken considerably, but we have the best batting average and fielding average in t...
by roanoke
Fri May 05, 2023 9:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Alabama # 2

Solid outing.

Better job of getting leadoff guys on.

Good fielding. Great pitching. I thought Espinal turned in a really nice performance behind the plate.

The team definitely responded to last night’s clunker. That was a focused performance.
by roanoke
Sat May 06, 2023 12:13 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Alan Espinal

I’m not picking on Bulger - who does a creditable job.

But I do like the way Espinal frames and blocks pitches.

Espinal does need to work on hitting offspeed pitches. He can hammer a fastball.

It is never bad to have two play-ready catchers.
by roanoke
Fri May 12, 2023 7:05 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gotta swing bat to have a chance

If the strategy was to not waste pitchers, it worked to perfection. We were facing a guy throwing 100. We scratched our ace - who happened to be a leftie (which is Florida’s issue) and we, wisely, did not move up our other two pitchers and get them off schedule. We fell behind early. You can’t real...
by roanoke
Sat May 13, 2023 10:20 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Slugfests

We can win slugfests, but we need discipline. We just beat Louisville 12-8 on the road. The issue is: our leadoff guys need to work counts (especially if the strike zone is a thimble) not hack at the first pitch. With two strikes we need to choke up, go for contact, and go with pitches instead of pu...
by roanoke
Sat May 13, 2023 7:33 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Florida #2

commadore wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:31 pm Announcer is full of schite. That ball was LOW. Period. Ump sucks.
Agreed. They are silent as Futrell gets nothing low.
by roanoke
Fri May 19, 2023 7:16 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ven-Allen Lubin is a Commodore

I do think the Florida Atlantic model is consistent with Stack's vision of waves of guys playing tough defense and wearing teams down. While we have shown signs of wanting to do this in the past, we have not had enough players to actually do it. This squad seems pretty deep on athletes - we just nee...
by roanoke
Fri May 19, 2023 7:36 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Arky #2

This ump is both inconsistent and subtly screwing us.
by roanoke
Fri May 19, 2023 9:23 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Arky #2

One run game. Still one out.

Singles!!! Walks. HBP for the team.

A really good HBP by Schreck. A really good walk by Noland.

And a huge single by Bulger for 2 runs.

None will jump out of the box score - but those are the plays that win games.
by roanoke
Sat May 20, 2023 2:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Arky #3

Bradfield. We are spoiled. He’s so good.
by roanoke
Sat May 20, 2023 3:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Diaz is spectacular. Our best bat the last month, too. But such a good glove.

Vastine follows with a nice play to get us out of the inning.
by roanoke
Sat May 20, 2023 3:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A little surprised to see Schultz in this situation.
by roanoke
Sat May 20, 2023 3:19 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ump not making it any easier. Schultz struck him out - called a ball. Watch the replay, Vastine in disbelief at the terrible call.
by roanoke
Sat May 20, 2023 3:27 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And that terrible call by the ump costs us the lead. And now we are behind. But this is self-inflicted.

Terrible pitching decision. Sorry - I love all our guys. But that was a bad situation. And when it was clearly bad, we left him in two batters extra.