Dead horse alert

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

Dead horse alert

Post by roanoke »

Early in yesterday’s game, we had two runners on & we hit a screaming liner up the first base line. MSU’s first baseman raised his mitt& the ball seemed to tip it and deflect. It landed just foul & was called foul.

If it was touched in fair territory it should be a fair ball & we score two early runs to shake State up.

Was anything said about this in post-game pressers? I know the interference call was controversial- but probably right & a judgment anyway. Did that liner hook foul without being touched? I - and the announcers- thought it changed direction. Just wondering - I hope in the future we’ll have replay at games this important.

Anybody know anything about that play?

Titans309fan
Admiral

Re: Dead horse alert

Post by Titans309fan »

If you go to the replay on WatchESPN, it happens right around the 0:27:00 mark. For the TV angle, it looks like it hit the glove. The ump though paid more attention to wear the ball landed, which was in foul ground.

But if it did hit the glove, shouldn't the Vandy first base coach or the ump have heard it? The first baseman certainly sold it that it didn't hit his glove. It also didn't deflect much at all, which made it hard to tell.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3378311
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

I said it when it happened but no one around us thought so.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Looks like it tipped his glove to me....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
HarpoMarx
Ensign

Post by HarpoMarx »

It absolutely hit his glove. I couldn't believe that the umps didn't see it. Why didn't the Vandy coaching staff argue it?
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Titans309fan wrote:If you go to the replay on WatchESPN, it happens right around the 0:27:00 mark. For the TV angle, it looks like it hit the glove. The ump though paid more attention to wear the ball landed, which was in foul ground.

But if it did hit the glove, shouldn't the Vandy first base coach or the ump have heard it? The first baseman certainly sold it that it didn't hit his glove. It also didn't deflect much at all, which made it hard to tell.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3378311
I disagree. The player was 2-3’ right of the bag and it did hit his glove and reverted at least 3’ to land in foul ground. Umps missed a few calls in this game. This one probably cost us a CWS trip.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

I thought it hit his glove but what can you do on that play with a review? You could award him first base maybe but I doubt you would award the guys on 2nd and 3rd a trip home. That's one you have to chalk up to umpire objectivity on a call. You see it in every game and every sport. That's why UK basketball has never lost a game, the refs took them away.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

I just couldn't tell. I really thought the umps got most of the calls right, including the runner's interference. The MSU 3b cut across, but the rule puts the responsibility on Martin. My biggest beef was with balls and strikes all weekend, but it was bad both ways.
vebiltdervan
Fleet Admiral

Post by vebiltdervan »

HarpoMarx wrote:It absolutely hit his glove. I couldn't believe that the umps didn't see it. Why didn't the Vandy coaching staff argue it?
This. Absolutely. hit. his. glove. in. fair. territory.

In a fair universe, we won that game in the bottom of the 9th.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

I thought it hit it in fair ground, too. When both the umpire and our first base coach acted so indifferent about it (as did the announcers) I figured I was wrong.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Thanks for posting the replay.

I had forgotten the announcer said in real-time: "off the glove" - I did remember "State may have caught a real break there."

I just don't know how loud it was in the stadium - can you hear a ball tick off a glove? Both announcers said they thought it was off the glove. But they did not dwell on it.

Anyway, as we noted already: dead horse alert.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

The ump missed the play. That was bad luck on our part.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

just unlucky - if we get the calls we win
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

No way on earth that ball got past that glove without hitting it. I reran the video 6-8 times. We were robbed.
HarpoMarx
Ensign

Post by HarpoMarx »

I agree with Dee. When it happened, I screamed out 2 or 3 times, "It's off his glove! It's off his glove!" Then nobody else around me was really saying anything. Nothing from Tim or Macias. I just thought I was an idiot and saw what I wanted to see and just shut up. Oh, well...
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

HarpoMarx wrote:I agree with Dee. When it happened, I screamed out 2 or 3 times, "It's off his glove! It's off his glove!" Then nobody else around me was really saying anything. Nothing from Tim or Macias. I just thought I was an idiot and saw what I wanted to see and just shut up. Oh, well...
Wonder what it takes for our staff to be alerted to something like that if they didn’t see. A coach or person in the press box calling down maybe.
Locked Previous topicNext topic