Couple of questions & a comment

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Couple of questions & a comment

Post by FayetteDore »

1. What was the SECOND unsportsmanlike penalty for? I read in the game thread that the first one was highly questionable -- maybe a VU player stumbling into an opponent while getting up from a tackle. But there was no description in the game thread about the second call.

2. The reason I have to ask this is because, inside the stadium, VU didn't show replays of either of the calls -- and I couldn't see either very well from Section A. WHY do they not show replays on penalties against VU?

(This has been the pattern in recent years. They do SOMETIMES, like when a TD is under review. And last night, they showed replays of VU scores -- but not Hawaii scores.

No complaints about the construction-related inconveniences last night. And they actually had some someone cleaning the restrooms during the game. But the reluctance to show replays on calls against VU and bad plays is a real disadvantage to attending in person.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Re: Couple of questions & a comment

Post by PeteFox »

I believe the second call was for excessive celebration on the receiver. I didn't see it but the TV guy said that's what it was for.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

PeteFox wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:10 pm I believe the second call was for excessive celebration on the receiver. I didn't see it but the TV guy said that's what it was for.
Thanks Pete!
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Ahh...the Earl Bennett Memorial Call....
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

The second was on Will Shepherd for taunting. After he scored the TD and while still on the ground he gave the ball to the DB who had tried to knock it loose. Weak call but one I have at least called against other teams
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:05 pm 1. What was the SECOND unsportsmanlike penalty for? I read in the game thread that the first one was highly questionable -- maybe a VU player stumbling into an opponent while getting up from a tackle. But there was no description in the game thread about the second call.

2. The reason I have to ask this is because, inside the stadium, VU didn't show replays of either of the calls -- and I couldn't see either very well from Section A. WHY do they not show replays on penalties against VU?

(This has been the pattern in recent years. They do SOMETIMES, like when a TD is under review. And last night, they showed replays of VU scores -- but not Hawaii scores.

No complaints about the construction-related inconveniences last night. And they actually had some someone cleaning the restrooms during the game. But the reluctance to show replays on calls against VU and bad plays is a real disadvantage to attending in person.
He acted like he threw something to the ground and then stomped on it.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Both unsportsmanlike conduct penalties were pretty ticky tacky. Sheppard May have earned his, not sure, didn’t see it, but Sheppard can be a hot dog sometimes. But the Mountain West officials seemed to not want the game to get out of hand.

PS. You can be ejected if you get two penalties in one game like Sheppard got. That would be pretty devastating.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Thank you all for the replies.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Sheppard was benched for the next offensive series, FWIW, and was seen talking to CCL on the bench.
Locked Previous topicNext topic