247 Sports: In Jerry Stackhouse and Juwan Howard, can the NBA get the college coaching carousel spinning again?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

247 Sports: In Jerry Stackhouse and Juwan Howard, can the NBA get the college coaching carousel spinning again?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Stackhouse is very well regarded in NBA circles and numerous sources tell 247Sports that he's indeed very interested in the Pistons opening.

https://247sports.com/Article/NBA-coach ... 208162737/

commadore
Admiral

Re: 247 Sports: In Jerry Stackhouse and Juwan Howard, can the NBA get the college coaching carousel spinning again?

Post by commadore »

"While most coaches have been waist deep in the Transfer Portal since the end of the season, there has been some talk from sources close to the program that Stackhouse hasn't seemed all that interested in making portal recruiting a priority. Is it hearsay or is it a sign that he could be planning his exit?"

That says it all.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: 247 Sports: In Jerry Stackhouse and Juwan Howard, can the NBA get the college coaching carousel spinning again?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I have no idea if there is anything to these rumors, whispers, and speculation. Unlike college programs, NBA teams generally are in no hurry to hire head coaches. This could literally drag out until June. (And the Pistons job becomes much more attractive if the team wins the NBA draft lottery and the right to select Victor Wembayama. The lottery doesn't occur until May 16.)
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

If they ask him first, but if they don't and he stay at Vandy, and don't have any good players except what he got now on the team because portal players thought he might leave. How should the fan base feel then?
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

commadore wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:56 am "While most coaches have been waist deep in the Transfer Portal since the end of the season, there has been some talk from sources close to the program that Stackhouse hasn't seemed all that interested in making portal recruiting a priority. Is it hearsay or is it a sign that he could be planning his exit?"

That says it all.
This is the disconcerting part.
Have to wonder if transfers are looking at CJS as at best a one year coach and looking elsewhere.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I have been very pro Stack, but if he leaves and gets no more players, leaving us high and dry, he will elevate himself in my stead to the threesome of Richard Schmidt, Bryce Drew, and Stackhouse
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:57 am I have no idea if there is anything to these rumors, whispers, and speculation. Unlike college programs, NBA teams generally are in no hurry to hire head coaches. This could literally drag out until June. (And the Pistons job becomes much more attractive if the team wins the NBA draft lottery and the right to select Victor Wembayama. The lottery doesn't occur until May 16.)
NBA mock draft dot net says after Vic Web, the second pick is Brandon Miller who was shown to be a mere mortal in the NCAA tournament. Even if he is really good otherwise. After that is a 6-2 guard from the G-league. So you see how severe the drop-off is after a once-in-a-life-time generational phenom going 1/1.

** until the next once-in-a-life-time generational phenom
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:09 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:57 am I have no idea if there is anything to these rumors, whispers, and speculation. Unlike college programs, NBA teams generally are in no hurry to hire head coaches. This could literally drag out until June. (And the Pistons job becomes much more attractive if the team wins the NBA draft lottery and the right to select Victor Wembayama. The lottery doesn't occur until May 16.)
NBA mock draft dot net says after Vic Web, the second pick is Brandon Miller who was shown to be a mere mortal in the NCAA tournament. Even if he is really good otherwise. After that is a 6-2 guard from the G-league. So you see how severe the drop-off is after a once-in-a-life-time generational phenom going 1/1.

I doubt that CJS would make a decision based upon the draft pick for a team this season if that indeed were what he is looking for. I would assume that things like ownership, general management would mean as much or more to him. For if Detroit doesn't get a transformational player this year they will likely have a high draft pick to try to get one next season like they have the previous two seasons prior to this one. I would guess that CJS' ability to develop players and understanding of what it takes to succeed in the NBA would make him attractive to a team like Detroit.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:29 pm

I doubt that CJS would make a decision based upon the draft pick for a team this season if that indeed were what he is looking for. I would assume that things like ownership, general management would mean as much or more to him. For if Detroit doesn't get a transformational player this year they will likely have a high draft pick to try to get one next season like they have the previous two seasons prior to this one. I would guess that CJS' ability to develop players and understanding of what it takes to succeed in the NBA would make him attractive to a team like Detroit.
Sounds like you are not totally buying into the Webanyama hype. A 7-4 guy who can play any spot on the court. Either end. Without using google, what do you think his weakness is? Not being argumentative, just wondering. Legit question between two die-hard hoops fans. Others are welcome to chime in. (As long as they are actually knowledgeable on NBA hoops)**

**Not an invitation for "get off my lawn, I refuse to watch the NBA and haven't seen a game of it since Bird and Magic retired" - save that for another thread please.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I'm hacked about my Mavs still. Mark Cuban is trash. My big concern with VW is the long lanky body. I've read all about the magical stretching exercises they're doing, but I can't see how that body can run many miles.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:42 pm

Sounds like you are not totally buying into the Webanyama hype. A 7-4 guy who can play any spot on the court. Either end. Without using google, what do you think his weakness is? Not being argumentative, just wondering. Legit question between two die-hard hoops fans. Others are welcome to chime in. (As long as they are actually knowledgeable on NBA hoops)
No, you misread me. I'm saying that even if Detroit DOES NOT get the first pick, CJS might still be interested in the job. Obviously if they got Webanyama he would be interested - they guy is a freak. But it isn't like without him Detroit just closes shop and gives up. I'm saying that this is not the sole or even main reason that CJS might be interested in the job. For instance, if CJS doesn't like to recruit and doesn't care for the portal, then the NBA would obviously be more to what he is looking for, where he can develop really good players, who are also more mature than the 18 or 19 year olds that he has had more issues with.

Note that this is assuming that what is being reported is true. This might all be unfounded rumors and CJS is quite happy here (which is what I would hope to be the case).
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Sounds like you are not totally buying into the Webanyama hype. A 7-4 guy who can play any spot on the court. Either end. Without using google, what do you think his weakness is? Not being argumentative, just wondering. Legit question between two die-hard hoops fans. Others are welcome to chime in. (As long as they are actually knowledgeable on NBA hoops)**
Good Lord have you seen any of Wemby's highlights? His weakness has to be injury concerns - they've plagued basically every athletic guy that size. But ... good lord. He might be all-NBA as a rookie. Could he average 25 & 10 next year? I wouldn't bet against it. 30 & 10? It's not hard to see it happening...
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I don't think he is Sam Bowie but injury issues are always a concern even if the player is built like an NFL middle linebacker like David Roddy.

^ ^ Still has not gotten sand kicked in his face,
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Uhhh, yeah there is a drop-off from Victor Wembanyama. But that's only because he's widely regarded as the best NBA prospect since LeBron James in 2003. But most see Scoot Henderson as a fantastic prospect. He's 6'2", but has a 6'9" wingspan and is very explosive and strong--by NBA standards. Physically he's very similar to Eric Bledsoe, who was a two-time All-Defense selection and Scoot is a very competitive defender. He's drawn a lot of comparisons to former MVP Derek Rose (before the injuries, of course) because of his combination of handle, athleticism, and vision--and from what I've seen there's a lot to that comparison. Plus, like Wembanyama, he's a real competitor. Most draft analysts have gone on record as saying that he would've been the #1 pick over Banchero, Holmgren, and Smith last year and would be an obvious #1 in 2024.

Miller is seen as more comparable to last year's trio, although obviously a very different kind of player. He would fit extremely well in Detroit, which already has three talented young point guards (Cade Cunningham, Killian Hayes, and Jaden Ivey) and several talented young big men (Jalen Duren, Isaiah Stewart, Marvin Bagley, and James Wiseman) but is missing a talented wing.

And after those two, a lot of people see Amen and Ausar Thompson as extraordinary talents too and both would fit the Pistons' roster pretty well (especially Ausar, who's the better shooter of the twins). And there are others as well (e.g. Jarace Walker or UCF's Taylor Hendricks). This is the best NBA draft at the top in quite a few years. So... even if Detroit lands at #5 (the lowest spot possible for them), whoever coaches them is going to have a wealth of talent to build with. Detroit right now is a very good situation for a coach to land in.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

**Not an invitation for "get off my lawn, I refuse to watch the NBA and haven't seen a game of it since Bird and Magic retired" - save that for another thread please.
I've watched a few games and he really is something. He has plenty of weaknesses now, but so what? I think the last player to come into the league without any weaknesses was David Robinson, more than 30 years ago. (LeBron was a poor shooter when he entered the league, and it took him a while to become a plus shooter.) But he's a teenager, so who cares?

Wembanyama's current weaknesses... Well, he's too weak to rebound effectively on the defensive end, which is a problem. His incredible length means that even when he does get pushed around by big men, he can still recover and affect their shot. But he won't get the rebound. He's also a poor-to-mediocre shooter at this point (30% from international three-point range), although he looks like he'll come around with time and coaching. He has real vision as a passer, but isn't ambidextrous (he can score with his off hand, but he doesn't seem to pass with it yet). And while there are lots of highlights of him dribbling well... I don't think he can do that against long-armed backcourt thieves like Dejounte Murray, Shae-Gilgeous Alexander, or Jalen Williams (to say nothing of guys like Kawhi Leonard or Giannis Antetokounmpo). Finally, he's a poor post player. If you watch an actual game (not just highlights), you can see that he's definitely a forward right now. With time and good coaching, he can become an effective post-up player. But it's really hard to imagine him doing that anytime soon against huge NBA bigs like Joel Embiid, Nikola Jokic, Brook Lopez, Steven Adams, or Jakob Poeltl when he can't do it against NBA cast-offs playing in Europe.

But all of those are things that can be improved with time, hard work, and good coaching--and he is, by reputation, a very hard worker. So I think he enters the league as a player comparable to Kristaps Porzingis--who's pretty good! (Wembanyama doesn't shoot as well, obviously, but is a much better passer and shot creator and a comparable defender.) But I think he could address all those weaknesses and become a longer (!), better-shooting version of Giannis Antetokounmpo within four years or so. And by the time he's 27? Look out!

As for the injury risk... 🤷🏻‍♂️ There are guys similar to him in build who've had long careers--most notably Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Don't underestimate stretching, by the way. That was one of Kareem's secret weapons. He studied martial arts with Bruce Lee and began using Tai Chi while he was at UCLA, something he continued for his entire career. He never taped his ankles and always stretched very carefully while waiting to enter the game and at halftime. How'd that work out for him? Longest career in history. So if Wembanyama follows a similar approach and doesn't try to add too much weight too soon, he could have a long career too. Ralph Sampson is another good physical comparison, to me. He did add too much weight too soon, which almost certainly contributed to his rapid decline and short career, as his knees never caught up to his mass. So I think the key is for Wembanyama to take full advantage of who he is now and to add strength gradually.
Locked Previous topicNext topic