Legitimate concerns

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Legitimate concerns

Post by Ndorefin »

Another article has appeared on the 247sports site stating sources say Stack is very interested in the Pistons job. As long as these rumors are out there, they add to the difficulty in landing additional recruits or transfers. If Stack left, we would have quite a mess on our hands! It makes one wonder what he is saying to recruits if they ask him about the rumors….if he can’t give them a solid answer, we could be in big trouble. We could also lose some of our incoming freshmen and our cupboard is extremely bare at the present time. This could be a lot to do about nothing, but until everything is settled, our program is in limbo.

It would be a positive move for Stack to put theses rumors to rest, but as long as he is silent, it gives the impression that he is indeed interested. The Pistons job may not be the only NBA opening as the rumor is that the Toronto coach will take the Houston job, leaving the Raptors looking for a coach. This situation leaves our program in a very precarious predicament!

commadore
Admiral

Re: Legitimate concerns

Post by commadore »

This just adds to the disillusionment I have for this program. I said earlier that I am to the point of not caring. If Stack leaves, then we might as well tear down Memorial Gym and put in a softball field. Otherwise we will be playing with seven next year.
Last edited by commadore on Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

Not a lot of good coaches are going to see Vanderbilt as a long term job. It’s a stepping stone to something better. Fans just need to come to terms with this.

Baseball is an exception, but Vandy just isn’t a school that will ever be a national title contender.

I certainly would hate to lose Stack, but I don’t begrudge him. I fully expected him to be on the look out for a better job after the way this season ended and boosting his resume after plenty of rough seasons here.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

Do some research, and see for yourself what you think the chances are for him leaving!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Starkiller wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:38 am Not a lot of good coaches are going to see Vanderbilt as a long term job. It’s a stepping stone to something better. Fans just need to come to terms with this.

Baseball is an exception, but Vandy just isn’t a school that will ever be a national title contender.

I certainly would hate to lose Stack, but I don’t begrudge him. I fully expected him to be on the look out for a better job after the way this season ended and boosting his resume after plenty of rough seasons here.
Not with that attitude, anyway. I simply DO NOT accept this.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

commadore wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:58 am
Starkiller wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:38 am Not a lot of good coaches are going to see Vanderbilt as a long term job. It’s a stepping stone to something better. Fans just need to come to terms with this.

Not with that attitude, anyway. I simply DO NOT accept this.
Don’t ever accept this. No point in being a fan if you don’t believe in the ultimate goal. Yea it’s unrealistic but Florida Atlantic was in the title game this year.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

If he's in the running for an NBA job that he would accept, what could he possibly say publicly? He is a credible guy. He can't say that he's not interested because if he jumps ship, then he will have mislead recruits and the fan base. If he says that he is interested, he would be hurting his chances with recruits. He can't win by making any statement. I agree with others who said that his silence cannot be helpful but his hands are tied, We can only hope that the Pistons decide on a coach sooner rather than later.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

We've only had four head coaches in the last 30 years--two of whom were fired, one who was gently pushed out the door, and another who may or may not leave for the NBA. We haven't had a coach use the job as a stepping stone since an incompetent board of trust and a fool for an AD let one walk 30 years ago.

Don't get me wrong--it's not without its challenges, particularly in this new reality. And the pool of potential coaches would probably be even more shallow than it was a month ago if Stack left tomorrow. But I'd be more concerned about hiring the right guy than worrying about someone using the job as a stepping stone.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Until we are Duke it is a stepping stone and that means we can always potentially land great coaches headed to the promised land. I hope Stack stays, but if he leaves it makes the next ambitious coach interested. It doesn't help build a sustained program of excellence - like baseball.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Name ONE basketball coach that we had that was in it for the short time.
Skinner was there for 15 seasons.
Dobbs was there for three until we fired him.
He whose name I won't say was there two LONg years before we ran him off.
CM Newton was there for 8 years before going home to bbe an AD.
Fogler was there for 4 years and left because they wouldn't pay him anywhere near what he was worth.
VBK wanted to retire here but was fired after 6 years.
Stallings was here for 17 years.
The Clapper was here three horrible years before being fired.
Now Stack.
History does not bear out your claim.
Last edited by commadore on Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I say this any time we have a coach someone else may be interested in. Its a good thing because it means we have had some level of success. And you can't begrudge a person for wanting to get an NBA job. I agree with those who say that his hands are somewhat tied. Nothing we can do but hope it gets settled quickly.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

If he goes, can they bring back Stallings?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

underdog74 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:26 pm If he goes, can they bring back Stallings?
We could go after coach K, again.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

baseball1234 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:25 am If he's in the running for an NBA job that he would accept, what could he possibly say publicly? He is a credible guy. He can't say that he's not interested because if he jumps ship, then he will have mislead recruits and the fan base. If he says that he is interested, he would be hurting his chances with recruits. He can't win by making any statement. I agree with others who said that his silence cannot be helpful but his hands are tied, We can only hope that the Pistons decide on a coach sooner rather than later.
Exactly….by saying nothIng, we are in limbo! The only thing he could say publicly is that he is not interested and if he isn’t, he needs to say so, promptly! Otherwise, we are a program with a coach with one foot out the door.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

To state the obvious, this sucks. Suspect that the kids that left VU for the portal didn't do so for this reason. Conversely, kids looking at VU for a transfer site may shy away due exactly to that reason.

If he stays do his bona fides as a potential NBA coach help or hurt us. Will recruits look at him as someone who can leave at any time or as someone who an help them get into the pros--and who is a really good college coach.

I'm not sure what the right thing for him to here is. From Vandy's perspective a quick decision one way or another is obviously best. As some have noted NBA coaching searches can string along for a while. If indeed the chatter continues someone needs to say something. We could find ourselves with a rush to the door from our non-portal players (I'm not sure what the incoming class can/would do) and needing to build a coaching staff, suspect he'd take some with him. Not great prospects.

Well, all there is for us to do is wait, and like me, needlessly speculate.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

underdog74 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:26 pm If he goes, can they bring back Stallings?
Stallings record in his last season as a coach....

(clap-clap) A bryce drew-like 0-18

Combined in two years at Pitt... 4-32 (11%)

So... do you really think he's on the short list of "just in case" candidates? Former Morehead State assistant Barry Wortman has a better chance of being the next (if needed) HC on West End.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I just don't want any coach to be "irked" that we left him off of our list!

Those were good times....
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

commadore wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:39 pm

Name ONE basketball coach that we had that was in it foe the short time.
Skinner was there for 15 seasons.
Dobbs was there for three until we fired him.
He whose name I won't say was there two LONg years before we ran him off.
CM Newton was there for 8 years before going home to bbe an AD.
Fogler was there for 4 years and left because they wouldn't pay him anywhere near what he was worth.
VBK wanted to retire here but was fired after 6 years.
Stallings was here for 17 years.
The Clapper was here three horrible years before being fired.
Now Stack.
History does not bear out your claim.
We haven't had a coach successful enough to get hired away since Fogler.
I think the idea of the OP is that we should hope for a coaching tenure successful to the degree that blue blood programs want to hire him.
Laker42
Ensign

Post by Laker42 »

Hope Stack doesnt go, and hope he doesnt remember what this board was saying 4-12 months ago. It was almost like it was him vs the world. I wouldnt blame him. But mannn, unfinished business here. Get some dudes in the portal and lets roll
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Laker42 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:40 pm Hope Stack doesnt go, and hope he doesnt remember what this board was saying 4-12 months ago. It was almost like it was him vs the world. I wouldnt blame him. But mannn, unfinished business here. Get some dudes in the portal and lets roll
Yes, I'm sure he'll get no detractors or criticism if he fares poorly at his next stop.

If you cannot handle criticism as a basketball coach you are in the wrong profession. Especially the level of criticism he will receive at Vanderbilt, which is far lower than pretty much every school or NBA job out there, largely due to the size of the fanbase.

But you are correct that there is unfinished business.
Locked Previous topicNext topic