Athletic Article Touting CJS as Detroit HC Candidate

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Athletic Article Touting CJS as Detroit HC Candidate

Post by TwoSaints »

https://theathletic.com/4388772/2023/04 ... ign=601983

The article's behind a paywall, so here's what they have to say about our beloved Coach Stackhouse:
Jerry Stackhouse

Now to the name that would make the most local headlines, Stackhouse is more than just a former Pistons star. He’s been a rising coach for several years.

The 48-year-old Stackhouse has been an NBA assistant with both the Raptors and Grizzlies, but his biggest claim to fame so far is leading Toronto’s G League squad, Raptors 905, to a championship in 2017. He was also named the league’s Coach of the Year that season.

Stackhouse has been the head coach at Vanderbilt since 2019, and this past season — after leading the Commodores to 22 wins, the program’s most since 2011-12 — was named the co-SEC Coach of the Year, an honor he shared with Texas A&M’s Buzz Williams.

This hire would be both a PR and, potentially, on-the-court victory for the Pistons.
The other candidates they discuss are Milwaukee assistant coach Charles Lee (no relation), former Boston head coach Ime Udoka (!), current Overtime Elite (and ex-U Conn) head coach Kevin Ollie, current Dallas assistant Sean Sweeney, current Pistons assistant Rex Kalamian, and retired Villanova HC (and former Team USA assistant) Jay Wright.

Doreknox
Admiral

Re: Athletic Article Touting CJS as Detroit HC Candidate

Post by Doreknox »

That would be a good fit for Stack since he played there and can develop young players. The Pistons are rebuilding (as usual) so he'd be given some time to turn things around. Udoka and Lee will be on a lot of teams' lists. Jay Wright is not going to Detroit.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

There's been a lot of whispers about this on social media, but it was noteworthy that when ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski yesterday tweeted that Dwane Casey was moving into the front office, he did not mention Stack in his list of possible candidates.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

With these new threads I have a question for the board: should I worry first about our lack of transfers so far this off-season or the potential of losing our coach. Dang I was just getting worked up on the first and now this...
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

I love stack but I’d trade him for jay wright in a split second
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

utahozzie wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:58 am I love stack but I’d trade him for jay wright in a split second
Without even thinking about it! Like an involuntary nerve response!
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Ugh. Really, REALLY hope this doesn’t come to fruition. A hit like this could devastate the program momentum of the last two seasons where we’re finally discussing possible NCAAT berths again.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

They were discussing this on SEC Radio this morning. Most were a little surprised.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

This would vibe though with unexpected transfers. I think Stack would be a good fit there, would be a natural career progression for him, and candidly after this season well deserved. We were an absolute dumpster fire when he took over and he basically fixed us. Might as well leave while the getting is good and before you actually have to show some real value. Would wonder though would we descend back into the dumpster though if he left.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

I love coach Stack as our coach and believe in him, so I think he has a lot to prove as a college coach. He need to take this team to NCAA and far as the final. If he goes to NBA, why did he come to college basketball to begin with? It always a up high battle and back in the hole again for Vandy. I been around for a long time and seen the best with the worst.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Hope he stays, and we better understand that anyone who is SEC coach of the year is going to be on other teams' wish list. It will always be this way for us: get used to it. We don't have to like it but we know it is one of the chronic problems of Vanderbilt fandom. At least Corbin has stuck with us. Remember Fogler, CM, Dinardo, Sloan and Poach?
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

utahozzie wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:58 am I love stack but I’d trade him for jay wright in a split second
Ummm ... is there a reason to believe that's even an option?

I mean, I'd also be happy if we hired Phil Jackson while we're at it, but...
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

Stack was very sentimental talking about Jordan wright in that postgame interview, but not every coach like recruiting. To be good at it, you really have to grind.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

We shall see. Sometimes rumors are just that. Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:54 pm . Remember Fogler, CM, Dinardo, Sloan and Poach?
Fogler could easily have been retained if not for the outright sabotage by Paul Houlihan. He wasn't hired away so much as he found a job after Vanderbilt kicked him to the curb.
CM Newton left for an AD job at his alma mater.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

You can get odds on this (of course)...

[tweet][/tweet]
Locked Previous topicNext topic