Let's talk about...the playoffs

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Let's talk about...the playoffs

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I think we can all agree that...

* If Georgia wins out, they're in.
* If Georgia loses in the SECCG, they're still in.
* The winner of Michigan-Ohio State, if they win out, is in.
* If TCU wins out, they're in.

What happens if...
* LSU wins out. Are they in? Would that keep UT out of the playoffs, deservedly or undeservedly?
* A 1-loss USC wins out. Are they more or less likely to get into the playoff over a 1-loss UT?
* Is a 1-loss Clemson or UNC out regardless of what happens in the next three weeks?

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Let's talk about...the playoffs

Post by OldDude »

No matter what happens from here out, UT is out because they are jerks.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

The chances of UT getting in are very high. There will definitely be one, and perhaps two, spots for one loss teams. UT will probably have the best resume of any one loss team. Even if LSU upsets GA, it would have one loss, and that would be a walloping from UT. Michigan and Clemson will have less impressive records than UT.

I view it as damned if UT makes it and damned if they don't. If they do, well, it's UT making the playoff. If they don't, it will increase the inertia towards an expanded playoff, which many of us don't want. Moreover, we'd have to hear about indefinitely.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:52 pm The chances of UT getting in are very high. There will definitely be one, and perhaps two, spots for one loss teams. UT will probably have the best resume of any one loss team. Even if LSU upsets GA, it would have one loss, and that would be a walloping from UT. Michigan and Clemson will have less impressive records than UT.

I view it as damned if UT makes it and damned if they don't. If they do, well, it's UT making the playoff. If they don't, it will increase the inertia towards an expanded playoff, which many of us don't want. Moreover, we'd have to hear about indefinitely.
Yeah, but if they don't make it, it will be sweet to hear all the wailing and gnashing of teeth LOL. :D :D :D
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

They are gonna absolutely maul us. I'm calling 77-14.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I'm still banking on UT blowing it themselves by losing to USC. It seems in recent years that is the university's MO. Basketball team should go to a Final Four, gets bounced early. Baseball Team poised to win a National Championship last year, doesn't even make it to Omaha. I am hoping for a USC upset, or a Vandy miracle to crush all their hopes and dreams. That would make my year.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Or a 12-7, 14-7 nail-biter than causes certain QB's to lose the Heisman. Those were fun times.

What we need is a Botch Jones Champions of Life speech.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

buffy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:51 am They are gonna absolutely maul us. I'm calling 77-14.
I think they shoot for 100.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

The most interesting scenario is if LSU wins out and beats UGA in the SEC championship game - that would really throw things out of whack. Would a 2-loss LSU jump over a 1-loss UT since they beat Georgia but lost head-to-head? You couldn't justify letting UT in and dropping UGA in that scenario. The "right" thing might be to let all three of them in and throw in the OSU / Michigan winner but I don't think the optics of that would fly. Honestly the 4 SEC teams are probably the best 4 teams in the country.

USC got hosed by Arizona beating UCLA last week so now it's not as good of a win this weekend.

It seems like the current rankings reflect the fact that UNC (13) and Clemson (9) are done.

As it stands, it seems like it will stay as-is with UT taking the place of whomever loses OSU / Michigan. Seems the most likely at least.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

VUinFL wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:59 am The most interesting scenario is if LSU wins out and beats UGA in the SEC championship game - that would really throw things out of whack. Would a 2-loss LSU jump over a 1-loss UT since they beat Georgia but lost head-to-head? You couldn't justify letting UT in and dropping UGA in that scenario. The "right" thing might be to let all three of them in and throw in the OSU / Michigan winner but I don't think the optics of that would fly.
That, to me, really is the most interesting scenario of all. How much pressure would there be on the committee to limit the SEC to two teams?

My guess is, though, Georgia makes this a moot point and defeats LSU handily in Atlanta.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

If Michigan stays close to Ohio State, they have a case. If USC wins out, they should be in….they lost 1 game by 1 point to #10 ranked Utah. They would also get a boost by beating Notre Dame…..all the voters love Notre Dame! If you are a Power 5 conference winner, you should get in with the same record as a team that didn’t make the conference championship, barring extremely unusual circumstances!
Locked Previous topicNext topic