Brutal loss

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Brutal loss

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Double-digits at home to the team ranked 321 in KenPom.

15 turnovers, 34% from the field, 3-8 from the line, and 12.5% from three (3-25).

Not a single point in the last 3:52 of the game.

Lord have mercy.

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Brutal loss

Post by Nashmann »

Nice well-coached team Stack!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

We are really getting our moneys worth out of that extension
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Someone on that staff ought to be able to teach basic fundamentals.
My confidence in Stack took a major step backwards after these two games. Wright, Robbins, Stute, and even Thomas have regressed from last year. I place that squarely on coaching.
On top of poor execution, there also seemed no passion or sense of urgency. It’s like everyone is waiting on Pippen to magically appear.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

The problem with this team is nobody has any balls that's not a freshman. No balls, zero. Play the frosh and sit the upperclassmen, let them transfer out and build for the future.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

at least they had a nice time and soaked in some culture in europe. happy for them.... does our team spend more time posing for instagram photos and getting tailored for suits than they do drilling fundamentals and practicing free throws? just wondering....
Hutch37
Commander

Post by Hutch37 »

i was at both games and they were truly terrible. Coaching always looks a lot better when the ball goes in the basket and it didn't either game. Tough to even imagine shooting 3 of 25 from 3. A bunch of those were shots that Southern Miss were happy for us to take- Robbins and Shelby both launched multiple quick 3's from way deep that were not close to going in. It was interesting that CJS said postgame that his concerns were on defense. yes what he said made sense but after sitting through these 2 games it is impossible not to wonder about our offense. This is the first year that Jordan Wright has not dramatically improved over the offseason. Maybe the burden of being the man is not a good fit for his skills. I have always liked the way that he plays and i know he must be incredibly frustrated. If not him though then who is the guy? Colin Smith seems like our best player. Dia is not exactly quick on his feet but he plays with no fear and no hesitancy to try to score. Several times CJS had lineups with 2, 3, and 4 freshman on the court. I had high hopes for this team . Very disappointed in the way Robbins has played so far. The one thing VU has always had is a deadeye shooting guard who may have been lightly recruited but was a great fit for us- we could use that type player now...
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Hugely disappointing start to the season.
-Another slow start by a Stackhouse team, why do we start out much slower than other SEC teams?
-Once again our offense starts out seemingly without a set playlist--or one that the players can adapt to
-Our shooting has been poor for two games now. Is it that much better in practice? In his presser last night Coach made plain we are a 3 point shooting team...what am i missing
-What's up with the upper class men, has everyone lost a step or two over the summer? Starting freshmen in game #2 may be indicative of some sort of issue...or will this be a year of playing freshmen and planning for the future?
-Posters on another thread talked about past VU hoops glories. Those teams were fun to watch, this team isn't. The Stallings teams may have been frustrating at times but they too were fun to watch. This team in the first two games is more a kin to watching paint dry

I get it that its early and much can change and that Stack's teams seem to improve as the year goes on. (As noted above why can't they get out of the gates faster?). Nevertheless, my expectations were for us to be a bubble team this year--didn't expect miracles. But after two games this is a train wreck.
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

If Coach Norman Dale could make the Huskers play ball, he could help us out. In all seriousness, I haven't shot a ball in 10 years and would bet the farm that I can still shoot 50% from the field. Problem is this 61 year old body and bad knees.
Locked Previous topicNext topic