Reason for optimism

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Reason for optimism

Post by Vandy187187 »

AJ Swann. Kid is legit. Barely any experience, no INT, 8 TD. Made some great plays. As long as he is our QB we are in good shape for a long time.

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Re: Reason for optimism

Post by Vandy187187 »

Even CJF didn't have a "franchise QB"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkC5SyfsXmo
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Color me pessimistic. I fear we lose him in the off-season when the big boys take notice. There seems to be no oversight anymore when it comes to roster tampering. And Swann is a desirable candidate for big time programs.
Really hope I’m unnecessarily paranoid. I’ve just come to expect the worst when it comes to VU football.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Get that boy an NIL deal!
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:17 pm Color me pessimistic. I fear we lose him in the off-season when the big boys take notice. There seems to be no oversight anymore when it comes to roster tampering. And Swann is a desirable candidate for big time programs.
Really hope I’m unnecessarily paranoid. I’ve just come to expect the worst when it comes to VU football.
Unfounded fear: Swann was an early commitment and came to campus in January. He is #1 QB on a team he came to rebuild. Not the least bit worried about Swann. Before the Georgia game he said: "I am glad to be on my team." He means it and things can only get better at VU for him and team.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I'll go you one more. Or maybe 16 more.
Swann isn't the only freshman who is starting or playing a major role. Hansen, McGowan, Xavier Castillo, Smith, Gillespie, Agu, Lee, Truesdell, Russell, Patterson, Richard, Ouatarra, Mann, Diakite, and Skinner. All freshmen or redshirt freshmen. All on the 2 deep and getting meaningful snaps. Also worth mentioning is Capers, who if healthy was projected to be the team's best pass rush DL.
This says a couple things to me:
1. When underclassmen get this much playing time there will be a lot of mistakes and they will get schooled sometimes.
2. The incoming talent is beating out the upperclassmen talent in many cases. Lea & Co are bringing in a higher level of talent.
3. These guys will all get better not just in future seasons, but even within this season as they gain experience.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

It may not happen with Swann or happen this year, but it may well happen with some other key player after a breakout year. If it does happen, it will be very damaging to the "improvement" narrative. You may be naive if you aren't holding your breath on this.
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

agree - hope we are not the "development team" for the elite
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Dore2Dore wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:36 pm agree - hope we are not the "development team" for the elite
This is a fear at every program, arguably a greater concern at the Bamas and Clemsons of the world who have second stringers who could be first stringers at some other aspiring team that has a big NIL bankroll beckoning. I can argue this is a bigger problem at other places than Vanderbilt for a number of good reasons.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:56 am
Dore2Dore wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:36 pm agree - hope we are not the "development team" for the elite
This is a fear at every program, arguably a greater concern at the Bamas and Clemsons of the world who have second stringers who could be first stringers at some other aspiring team that has a big NIL bankroll beckoning. I can argue this is a bigger problem at other places than Vanderbilt for a number of good reasons.
Is that why Georgia, Auburn, and Alabama all have guys from Vanderbilt playing now?
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:17 pm Color me pessimistic. I fear we lose him in the off-season when the big boys take notice. There seems to be no oversight anymore when it comes to roster tampering. And Swann is a desirable candidate for big time programs.
If that happens I am done with being a fan of our football team. We will never be able to get over the hump if the diamonds in the rough leave after having success.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

commadore wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:48 am
Is that why Georgia, Auburn, and Alabama all have guys from Vanderbilt playing now?
This article makes me weep

https://sports.yahoo.com/alabama-ot-tyl ... p_catchall
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Really, what is the impact if Bama loses a couple of second stringers. What is the impact if we lose a budding star?
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

vandy05 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:52 am This article makes me weep

Alabama's All-American Will Anderson had two unassisted sacks against A.J. Swann from his right end position, and was credited with half of a third. Lined up against him was sophomore LT Gunnar Hansen, playing in only his fifth game ever. All well and good. But one wonders... might it have been any different if Anderson had been lined up against a more experienced LT Steen playing out his fifth-year senior year for Vandy?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

vandy05 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:52 am

Steen played 3 years for us and graduated last May with 2 years of eligibility remaining - I do not know his whole story but he may have wanted graduate school in a subject we did not have or that VU wouldn't admit him to Graduate school or he thought if he used his last 2 years at Bama he would have a better shot at the NFL. The point is he played for us for 3 years (red-shirted 1 year) before leaving like most of us have done after getting our degree. We got a PG kicker from Bama that has had 3 years of eligibility, has won some games for us (and Bama lost to UT because they did not have him) so I guess we might have come out ahead on this one particular comparison.
Who is playing at Georgia that we lost in the portal? The Auburn transfer followed his coach, Mason. I still maintain we stand to benefit more from the portal than we will lose from it simply because we do not have a plethora of players that are desirable to other SEC teams and the ones who tend to come here do so because they want to be at VU. Time will tell, but I am optimistic - the NIL money will be the one issue that hurts us, but not sure how big a factor that is.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:28 pm

Steen played 3 years for us and graduated last May with 2 years of eligibility remaining - I do not know his whole story but he may have wanted graduate school in a subject we did not have or that VU wouldn't admit him to Graduate school or he thought if he used his last 2 years at Bama he would have a better shot at the NFL. The point is he played for us for 3 years (red-shirted 1 year) before leaving like most of us have done after getting our degree. We got a PG kicker from Bama that has had 3 years of eligibility, has won some games for us (and Bama lost to UT because they did not have him) so I guess we might have come out ahead on this one particular comparison.
Who is playing at Georgia that we lost in the portal? The Auburn transfer followed his coach, Mason. I still maintain we stand to benefit more from the portal than we will lose from it simply because we do not have a plethora of players that are desirable to other SEC teams and the ones who tend to come here do so because they want to be at VU. Time will tell, but I am optimistic - the NIL money will be the one issue that hurts us, but not sure how big a factor that is.
I don't remember who it was, I just remember a tackle and the guy said "a transfer from Vanderbilt."
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

It was Tyler Steen who transferred from VU to Bama after last season. And Bama starting inside LB Henry To'o To'o transferred from Tennessee the year before.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:28 pm

I should be clear. No ill will for, or towards, Steen. He did what was best for him for whatever reasons he had. It just makes me weep because our team would be better if he were on it.

I hope you're right in that we'll benefit more from the portal than we will lose from it. But I could see scenarios like this one play out with some decent regularity. And its not that we need to worry about losing role players or backups to other SEC team. You can lose players to any school. Might MTSU have an interest in one of our backups? I could easily see that. You can lose players up and down. My personal opinion is that we're actually uniquely, and poorly, positioned to take advantage of the portal. We can lose players to Bama if they are really good. We can lose players to MTSU if they're one of our backups. And we have limited access to other school's portal players. Hope I'm wrong though.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Speaking of the portal, I wonder how Cam Johnson and Amir Abdul-Rahman are doing?
Dorefrom88
Commander

Post by Dorefrom88 »

Seadog73 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:55 am Speaking of the portal, I wonder how Cam Johnson and Amir Abdul-Rahman are doing?
Cam Johnson - https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... am-johnson
Amir Abdul-Rahman -
https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... dur-rahman

It looks like Cam isn't getting on the field much, and Amir is getting more targets than he did at Vanderbilt.
Locked Previous topicNext topic