If I correctly remember,....

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

thefan
Captain

If I correctly remember,....

Post by thefan »

the Ole Miss game, I think in James Franklin's 2nd season as head coach, was the "turn around" game for Franklin, staff, and the Dores!

VUrower28
Captain

Re: If I correctly remember,....

Post by VUrower28 »

The UConn game is the one that sticks out to me.
Not sure about the year, but that was a game SOV would have lost for sure.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I'm with rower28. The Old Ball Poach running up and down the sidelines screaming at the players "not the same old Vandy" in the second half of the UConn game.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Poach finally replacing Larry Smith, who he wanted as a husband for his daughters, with Jordan Rodgers is what turned things around. The immediate change in offensive stats was amazing.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Say what you want about CJF. He was the greatest coach VU football ever had. And the second greatest coach VU has had besides Corbs. Simple as that. You don't have to like him, you don't have to hold against him leaving the way it went down. I'd take him back tomorrow
goodtimes05
Ensign

Post by goodtimes05 »

Johnmn555 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:39 pm Poach finally replacing Larry Smith, who he wanted as a husband for his daughters, with Jordan Rodgers is what turned things around. The immediate change in offensive stats was amazing.
Well said, Jordan
Showingold
Lieutenant

Post by Showingold »

I agree that Franklin had the greatest success in a really, really, really long time. But saying the best coach of all time is stretching it. Franklin barely won games - and then with the wildcat. He came in at a time when competition was down, and he had some good athletes and used them effectivelyq. ONE of the reasons Franklin left (in addition to his complicity in the rape coverup) is that he knew his success was fleeting, and could not be repeated.
mtnvandy
Captain

Gameday

Post by mtnvandy »

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaack

First in-person game since b4 COVID

To quote Vandy) Lance Smith
I AM CHIN-STRAP READY-

REGARDS,

MtnVandy

#BeatRebs
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Vandy187187 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:30 pm Say what you want about CJF. He was the greatest coach VU football ever had. And the second greatest coach VU has had besides Corbs. Simple as that. You don't have to like him, you don't have to hold against him leaving the way it went down. I'd take him back tomorrow
What about Red Sanders, Art Guepe and interim coach Bear Bryant?

And also "great" needs to be defined - there were many things about Franklin that were less than great especially his role (recruiting the major instigator, his handling of it, and leaving all his indicted players hanging out to dry) in the darkest chapter of VU football, meaning the rape. His record was very good for modern times.

I would not call him great, but this is my personal opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:08 am
Vandy187187 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:30 pm Say what you want about CJF. He was the greatest coach VU football ever had. And the second greatest coach VU has had besides Corbs. Simple as that. You don't have to like him, you don't have to hold against him leaving the way it went down. I'd take him back tomorrow
What about Red Sanders, Art Guepe and interim coach Bear Bryant?

And also "great" needs to be defined - there were many things about Franklin that were less than great especially his role (recruiting the major instigator, his handling of it, and leaving all his indicted players hanging out to dry) in the darkest chapter of VU football, meaning the rape. His record was very good for modern times.

I would not call him great, but this is my personal opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.
Or Dan McGugin.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

commadore wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:37 am
Or Dan McGugin.
Should name something for him.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Yes, and Dan McGuin.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

I've been following the program since the mid-60's. Can't address the period before that. But in addition to the W-L record, XCJF managed to engineer more enthusiasm for the program than I have seen from anyone else. Not even close. His P/R skills were extraordinary, and his enthusiasm and optimism more contagious than COVID.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

geeznotagain wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:46 am I've been following the program since the mid-60's. Can't address the period before that. But in addition to the W-L record, XCJF managed to engineer more enthusiasm for the program than I have seen from anyone else. Not even close. His P/R skills were extraordinary, and his enthusiasm and optimism more contagious than COVID.
The year MacIntyre took VU to the Hall of Fame bowl, the stadium was packed every Saturday. Fans flocked to Birmingham for what was then a decent bowl. Gone downhill from there. Even XCJF couldn't get the stadium full on a regular basis.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Any consideration of greatest VU coach HAS to include Roy Skinner!
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Locked Previous topicNext topic