Elite edge rusher visiting Vandy unofficially Friday

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Elite edge rusher visiting Vandy unofficially Friday

Post by BrentVU »

He's 6-4 215, from Norman, Oklahoma... originally from Senegal... offers from Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Penn State, and Tennessee, just to name a few... but is making a trip at his own expense and will be on campus at Vandy Friday to hear Clark Lea's and Barton Simmons' pitch.

[tweet][/tweet]

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Elite edge rusher visiting Vandy unofficially Friday

Post by Nashmann »

Wow! Great, we are at least getting some looks by elite players. We can hope!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Come on Bai! We know you men from Africa are here not only for the sports but for the education. Can't get a better on anywhere on your list.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

From Norman, OK? That is extremely difficult competition. Yes, I would love for him to come to Vandy. But, the odds are extremely thin.

I am ok with this, so long as we do not expend precious financial resources on recruiting this long shot player. The coaches know best. However, I have seen where the attempt by a school to go big time ended up with a wasted recruiting class due to false expectations. In my view it is one step at a time in upgrading a recruiting class.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Looks like they gave him the royal treatment...

[tweet][/tweet]
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Sorry for the ignorance. How does an unofficial visit differ from an official? This one seems pretty elaborate. Thanks
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:54 am Sorry for the ignorance. How does an unofficial visit differ from an official? This one seems pretty elaborate. Thanks
An unofficial visit is at the recruit's expense; an official visit is at the school's expense. A recruit is limited to taking five official visits (to different schools); and I believe there is a limit to how many official visits a school can extend (but I've forgotten what it is). There are no limits for unofficial visits. Most official visits take place either during the season on home game weekends, or the last couple of weekends before signing day.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

LawoftheWest wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:58 am From Norman, OK? That is extremely difficult competition. Yes, I would love for him to come to Vandy. But, the odds are extremely thin.

I am ok with this, so long as we do not expend precious financial resources on recruiting this long shot player. The coaches know best. However, I have seen where the attempt by a school to go big time ended up with a wasted recruiting class due to false expectations. In my view it is one step at a time in upgrading a recruiting class.
Phone calls, texts, twitter used in twitter cost next to nothing. It only becomes a long shot when a letter of commitment is signed with another team, and even then, its not over with coaching changes and transfer portal. Never shut the door
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Long shot, close shot, no shot, you gotta shoot your shot. All of these threads on recruiting show that we as fans can't ever be satisfied as a whole. Some folks were up in arms that Coach and his staff said they were going to focus like a laser on players within a five hour drive I believe. Now there is a little consternation about wasted resources on a player from Norman who may not come. And in the baseball forum there is a thread where one poster with a lot of knowledge about baseball is swearing that we should be focusing on mid-state kids and the lack of doing so has hurt our program while others argue that we should continue recruiting nationally for that team.

This is why I think the admin was right not to ask us what they thought about the logo change. You can't ever make a fanbase happy, lol.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

vandy05 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:23 pm Long shot, close shot, no shot, you gotta shoot your shot. All of these threads on recruiting show that we as fans can't ever be satisfied as a whole. Some folks were up in arms that Coach and his staff said they were going to focus like a laser on players within a five hour drive I believe. Now there is a little consternation about wasted resources on a player from Norman who may not come. And in the baseball forum there is a thread where one poster with a lot of knowledge about baseball is swearing that we should be focusing on mid-state kids and the lack of doing so has hurt our program while others argue that we should continue recruiting nationally for that team.

This is why I think the admin was right not to ask us what they thought about the logo change. You can't ever make a fanbase happy, lol.

The player paid his own way to come to Nashville. To me that shows he has some reasonable interest in Vandy, not just looking for a free trip to have some fun in Music City. So, I guess the only resources that were expended were the coaches time and effort. I think we have improved our shot with this player.
Locked Previous topicNext topic