David Price, Kevin Kopps, Ben Becks........

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

David Price, Kevin Kopps, Ben Becks........

Post by DS2001 »

The trifecta of great college Pitchers who couldn't seal the deal in a Gigantic game.

baseball1234
Commander

Re: David Price, Kevin Kopps, Ben Becks........

Post by baseball1234 »

One guy won a Cy Young. The other two will never see the big leagues.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

Kopps should be lining up an arm surgeon. He is a Tommy John surgery in waiting
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

you can call me a softy, but i can’t help but empathize with beck. he had done his job splendidly in the seventh and eighth and was then asked (allowed?) to be a closer, which he ain’t....and we slipped off the hook! why not their closer? (NOT complaining)
HarpoMarx
Ensign

Post by HarpoMarx »

I think Sonny can be added to that list. I believe he was brought in to relieve against Florida in the 2011 World Series. He ended up allowing the eventual winning run. His last pitch as a Commodore may not have resulted in a homer, but it did result in a hit. Someone with a better memory can correct me.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

Harpo, IIRC he was not brought in as a reliever, but left in as a starter after too many pitches on a day he didn’t have his best stuff
HarpoMarx
Ensign

Post by HarpoMarx »

You are absolutely correct. He started the 8th tied at 4-4. Couldn't get the first 3 batters out. After 3 other relievers finally got the 3 outs in the 8th, we were behind 6-4 and ended up losing for the 5th time out of 6 games to the gators. I guess I could've looked it up instead of trying to rely on memory.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Mike Minor pitched a complete game on Friday of the 2009 Louisville regional. The 'Dores lost that game to MTSU, 5-4. Coming through the Loser's bracket, freshman Sonny Gray pitched 8 innings of a 10-0 rout of Indiana on Saturday; Caleb Cotham tossed a complete game 6-0 win over MTSU early Sunday; and Nick Christiani started an 8-4 victory over Louisville Sunday night.

I guess we were out of reliable arms because Corbs went with Mike Minor Monday night on two days' rest. Louisville won, 5-3.

From vucommodores.com:
Minor, pitching on two days rest, gave up three runs on four hits in 3.2 innings of work with four strikeouts and two walks. He dropped his second contest of the regional to fall to 6-6 on the year.
Locked Previous topicNext topic