No jersey numbers

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

No jersey numbers

Post by charlestonalum »

Players have to earn their uniform number. Lea means business.

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Re: No jersey numbers

Post by dallasdore »

I hope the current locker room welcomes this. I know in some locker rooms, new coach coming in and doing this would not be so welcome. It's up to CCL to earn their respect and get them on board. Tall order, but hopefully he can do it.

Exciting times.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

dallasdore wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:51 am I hope the current locker room welcomes this. I know in some locker rooms, new coach coming in and doing this would not be so welcome. It's up to CCL to earn their respect and get them on board. Tall order, but hopefully he can do it.

Exciting times.
I might say that this may be the very point, to find the players in the locker room who are not on board with this. A lot of coaching and motivating athletes is about finding the right hook or the right gimmick. They can serve multiple purposes. It is often done to show players how to set a goal and achieve that goal and convince them that hard work is worth the sacrifices in the end. They're also designed to bond the players together. As you said, hopefully that all happens.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is a Tim Corbin-ish motivation tool. I know the baseball players in preseason practice start with basic black and white uniforms and have to earn the real practice uniforms. I think this is a team thing though, not individual. They also can't utilize the locker room until they perform at a certain level. I think it's a good thing to do. It builds teamwork and gives the team something to work towards and achieve early.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Locked Previous topicNext topic