The real issue is ... ineffective recruiting

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: The real issue is ... ineffective recruiting

Post by VUaskew »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:32 pm
VUaskew wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:05 pm we've been top dog for so long, it seems unfathomable that we could have an occasional down year. such are our expectations these days - we've been spoiled.

As far as pathological hatred for UT, mine is reserved for their moronic fan base who, given all their shortcomings in football (see losing to Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and now Ole Miss year in and out), and basketball (nice deep NCAA run there), have suddenly discovered they play baseball.

There was this one a-hole in the outfield bleachers yesterday who did his damnedest to get on everyone's nerves. Nice to know our baseball success has gotten under his skin. As opposed to the whistlers, who were loud and clear on the TV broadcast, yet again.

Fayette Dore = Vol Fan in disguise? There are UT boards out there for you to follow... Not interested in UT boards; their boards are mostly moronic.
yes, but, while the whistlers are annoying and obnoxious, they don't attempt to taunt the other fans like these idiots. There is a difference.

berwangerlives
Seaman Recruit

Post by berwangerlives »

“I'm hearing some rather interesting rumors about the confiscated bat this weekend. If true, some of the luster will come off that program.” - inquiring minds want to know. It appears this issue has largely been passed off as much ado about nothing, but given the on-field reaction, I have suspected there may be more to come.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:48 pm Thanks DS2001. "JWerd" is one of my favorite Vandy athletes of all time. Jeff Taylor is the only one I can think of with his level of sheer athleticism.

As for the other question, the reputation of the school depends on the kid. Most Vanderbilt recruits do not really care. They see the Vandyboys as a path to the draft, and they're not wrong. They may come to love the school during their tenure, but their allegiance is typically to Corbs. That being said, most of the kids we coach won't have those high options, so we start by identifying what they'd like to study. We find schools that offer that particular program, and we start hammering coaches with videos. We use our network to get them placed. So it usually depends on the top-end talent of the kid. If they're a legit MLB prospect, the school does not matter. For most, we work to get them into the right situation for their future, even if that is Central Connecticut State.

Vitello is simply striking while the iron is hot. Middle Tennessee is producing major talent. It's not like the days of Price/Gray/Minor/T Hill/Cothams when those guys where so dominant because nobody else in the area was as talented. There's players all over this area with major D1 talent. Tennessee is seen as the "fun team" for most recruits these days, even though purists like myself, hate their antics. I'm hearing some rather interesting rumors about the confiscated bat this weekend. If true, some of the luster will come off that program.

I can honestly say that 5 years ago, every kid that came through our organization would have cut off a pinky to play for Vanderbilt. Now, they'd love to have the option, but Vandy is just another school. For most, there are dozens of D1 teams that will take them. They can get to the draft by going somewhere where they can play immediately. Currently have a former player chasing the HR record at Southern Illinois. Small school, but he's had a heck of a career, and will likely get drafted. That's more normal now. A few years back we had a crafty pitcher; exceptionally smart. Not really a late bloomer, but added velocity late in his high school career. Vandy talked to him once. Never followed up. He went to Duke, pitched pretty well against us a few times, and got drafted high. Other kids see that.

I know some may think I'm just dogging on the current staff. I'm not. They're all exceptional coaches and Corbin is someone our organization tries to emulate. I'm just sad to see the mid-state talent be pushed elsewhere. When I looked in our dugout this weekend, there was shock on our kid's faces, but no fire or anger. Kids from this area have that fire. They understand the SEC rivalries. It's an intangible that I think Corbs is missing out on. And for the record, I know why he recruits the north (especially the northeast) so heavily. In his estimation, those kids have played less baseball (seasonal up there) than kids in this region. Thus, if they are close from a talent perspective, maybe those northern kids have a higher ceiling. I completely understand the ideology. But they don't know what the Vandy/UT rivalry means to fans. And frankly, it's just another game to them.
Very interesting insight but it appears that you are suggesting that there is no solution. Whether a player is local or not, offers still have to be made to the players when they have not yet reached their potential.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

VUaskew wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:05 pm we've been top dog for so long, it seems unfathomable that we could have an occasional down year. such are our expectations these days - we've been spoiled.

As far as pathological hatred for UT, mine is reserved for their moronic fan base who, given all their shortcomings in football (see losing to Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and now Ole Miss year in and out), and basketball (nice deep NCAA run there), have suddenly discovered they play baseball.

There was this one a-hole in the outfield bleachers yesterday who did his damnedest to get on everyone's nerves. Nice to know our baseball success has gotten under his skin.

Fayette Dore = Vol Fan in disguise? There are UT boards out there for you to follow...
Mississippi State, who beat us in the CWS last year, is currently 17-12. Guess we should ask their fans if the sky is falling too.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

PinkFloyd wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:57 pm I have known at least 50-60 players in this area that played, are playing of committed to D1 programs. TO answer your question the players do not care about the school. Vandy likes to use that as a selling tactic and rightfully so, but the player is looking for a place he can get field time, can they help him with his pro dreams, and how much is it going to cost the family. Most are not going to Vandy to become doctors or lawyers so the degree be it from UT or Vandy is likely the easiest major they can get. This is not always due to not wanting to earn a marketable degree but rather there is not enough time to do both.
Good post. I love VU and have huge respect for the emphasis VU places on academics, two sons are also grads. However, that doesn't mean that everyone feels that way. Most young athletes with significant talent believe with all their heart that pro ball is in their future. Yes, they may want a degree, but the level of commitment and time necessary for a student athlete at VU could scare some off. A less challenging school may better suit their goal.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

[quote=baseball1234 post_id=171598 time=1649105115 user_id=2954]
[quote=HopsLikeHolwerda post_id=171594 time=1649101727 user_id=325]
Thanks DS2001. "JWerd" is one of my favorite Vandy athletes of all time. Jeff Taylor is the only one I can think of with his level of sheer athleticism.

" I'm hearing some rather interesting rumors about the confiscated bat this weekend. If true, some of the luster will come off that program."

Care to elaborate? Please...lol
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

This is a terrific, eye-opening look at recruiting processes for those of us on the outside. One question not yet raised, how many of these kids would qualify academically for Vanderbilt? I don't recall hearing anywhere that Vandy has lowered standards for athletes.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

From what I have heard from some reliable sources, part of the problem is Corbin. I know you guys feel he hung the moon and he is a good coach but I am telling you he is not a players coach. They cannot wait to get there, then then cannot wait to leave. Look in your dugout, look at how they play.... does not look like a fun place to be. They may have all the best stuff but they sure do not look like they are having any fun. He's had a good run...
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

PinkFloyd wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:15 pm From what I have heard from some reliable sources, part of the problem is Corbin. I know you guys feel he hung the moon and he is a good coach but I am telling you he is not a players coach. They cannot wait to get there, then then cannot wait to leave. Look in your dugout, look at how they play.... does not look like a fun place to be. They may have all the best stuff but they sure do not look like they are having any fun. He's had a good run...
Uh Oh, the "F" word. Maybe Corbs is old school and believes hard work and class work are important in life - but, the next time we win you will also see a lot of smiles and excitement - and there is a reason all the alums come back...
P.S. I don't hate Tennessee or even their fans: it just is not a fine a university as Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt us not as good as a few others either.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

PinkFloyd wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:15 pm From what I have heard from some reliable sources, part of the problem is Corbin. I know you guys feel he hung the moon and he is a good coach but I am telling you he is not a players coach. They cannot wait to get there, then then cannot wait to leave. Look in your dugout, look at how they play.... does not look like a fun place to be. They may have all the best stuff but they sure do not look like they are having any fun. He's had a good run...
I love Corbs, I think he is the greatest coach in NCAA history regardless of sport because of what he has achieved and sustained at Vanderbilt...sports success at Vanderbilt!!

But I have to say, in the five Vandy games I've attended in the last few years (sadly, I was at the A&M perfect game), the one live observation I had at every one was that the players didn't look like they were having much fun. Everything, from batting practice to infield to the actual game, looked like a well choreographed routine. Even stretching in the outfield between innings has become tedious. As much as I don't like them, the Tenn guys, much like the Miss State guys in Omaha last summer, look like they're having fun.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Levon wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:52 pm the one live observation I had at every one was that the players didn't look like they were having much fun. Everything, from batting practice to infield to the actual game, looked like a well choreographed routine. Even stretching in the outfield between innings has become tedious.
There's a fine line between taking care of business in a business-like manner, vs. playing without enjoyment or exuberance. I honestly don't know where we show on that scale.
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

I completely understand the ideology. But they don't know what the Vandy/UT rivalry means to fans. And frankly, it's just another game to them.

Kinda like Stackhouse not understanding the importance of the 3-point streak?
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

Levon wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:13 pm This is a terrific, eye-opening look at recruiting processes for those of us on the outside. One question not yet raised, how many of these kids would qualify academically for Vanderbilt? I don't recall hearing anywhere that Vandy has lowered standards for athletes.
What I've found to be interesting is that Vandy has not turned down any baseball players because of grades, at least as far as we know. If they can play and they can pay, Vandy will get them in. So rich families can get their kids into Vandy pretty easily.

Lower-income players typically receive a major bump from Opportunity Vanderbilt, which covers most of their tuition.

Middle-class families are where Vandy struggles to get kids. They don't qualify for as much from Opportunity Vanderbilt, and the school is still too expensive. Those kids are the only ones where grades come into play, because there is often some additional grant money available for them.

But if Corbin wants a kid, they'll be admitted. From what I've heard, this is pretty typical across all sports at Vandy now, until grad school. None of the graduate programs allow admissions leniency to athletes...which is why so many of our RS football players leave. Most baseball players are not here that long.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Having seen the personalities that came through in last 10 years, I think Corbs is more than willing to let the boys have fun. Jared Miller and Stephen Rice could have a very successful comedy show, if they ever chose to do so. We used to be well known for our antics and weird stretching routines between innings. The lack of emotion from the current team is concerning.

If it's coming from the staff, I'd say the difference is no Travis Jewett. Not sure how many of you guys have met Jewett, but that dude is amazing. Quite the character. Since he left, I feel like we've been a little bland. He'd be my first call the day Corbin decides to retire.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Thanks, Hops, these are good insights. Same to Pink Floyd.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

baseball1234 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:09 pm
baseball1234 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:45 pm
HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:48 pm Thanks DS2001. "JWerd" is one of my favorite Vandy athletes of all time. Jeff Taylor is the only one I can think of with his level of sheer athleticism.

" I'm hearing some rather interesting rumors about the confiscated bat this weekend. If true, some of the luster will come off that program."

Care to elaborate? Please...lol
Can't say too much because most is unconfirmed.
Just waiting to see if Beck is using that bat next game. If he uses it, then they returned the bat to the team after the series. If not, that means the NCAA/SEC has it. If so, and it fails compression testing, it will get really ugly.

It is a much bigger deal than most realize. For prep players, if they're caught in high school using an illegal bat, it's a mandatory season suspension. If they're caught on the travel ball circuit with an illegal bat, the sanction hosting the tournament issues a 1-year ban for the player and organization from events hosted by that sanction.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

I call BS...sources? Had a good run? Lol. Go away.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

baseball1234 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:47 am
I call BS...sources? Had a good run? Lol. Go away.
Yeah....I don't think Corbs is the issue. He's most definitely a players coach. As noted earlier, I think there's a big difference between Baxter and Jewett. And Brown is just vanilla.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I guess the top recruiting classes in the country indicate that people don't want to play for him, and they can't wait to leave.

I guess the chance to make millions in the draft by being coached by this staff keeps them away in droves.

I suspect that all the money spent for the alumni locker room was for naught, since no one wants to come back.

David Price donated money for the locker room because he couldn't wait to leave.

I guess those guys putting CTC on their shoulders when they won the CWS really wanted to drop him.

He's not a Bruce Pearl, Vitello (whatever his name is) look at me, rah rah type guy. He doesn't have to be. Confidence sells, not over the top antics. Culture sells, not flavor of the month. Think of all the people in Omaha who became Vandyboys fans over the last few years.

We lost a series to UT, clearly a better team. Now everyone is questioning everything. I suspect the only reason UT started caring about baseball was because of Vandy's success. That, and the football team cannot be in the upper echelon, and basketball flames out in the NCAA's. Gotta have something to brag about.

It's easy to be cocky when things are going well. If I was getting my tail kicked out there I wouldn't be doing a whole lot of grinning either. Getting overly giddy about winning a series you were expected to win only proves that Vandy is in their head.

"Had a good run"? - Most moronic comment of the year.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

VUaskew wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:06 am I guess the top recruiting classes in the country indicate that people don't want to play for him, and they can't wait to leave.

Most of the recruting class polls I remember were prior to the baseball draft, when we invariably lose a boatload of talent.I don't recall -- do they do post-draft polls? If so, how have we done in recent years?

We bitch in football that any commit that the Dores get automatically drops a star in the rating service. There is a pro-Bama, pro Ohio State, etc. bias. Maybe something similar happens in baseball, and our recruits get rated higher than the average Joe with similar talent just because they are a Vandy recruit?
Locked Previous topicNext topic