Malik Dia to Belmont

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Malik Dia to Belmont

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

[tweet][/tweet]

Obvious
Captain

Re: Malik Dia to Belmont

Post by Obvious »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:08 pm [tweet][/tweet]
This is strange. The school in the smaller conference right down the road.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Not sure I get it. Just more playing time?
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Maybe he wants to transfer back in 1 year
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

He'll still be near all his friends!
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:22 pm Not sure I get it. Just more playing time?
Same part of the city, but lesser university. Not the SEC, not even close to the facilities, not as much to offer for NIL. And Alexander doesn’t compare to Stackhouse. He could’ve earned plenty of playing time this upcoming season. Maybe him hitting the portal was a mutual decision from the coaches and Dia.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:22 pm Not sure I get it. Just more playing time?
I thought he was from the area. Belmont makes some sense in that they didn't have anyone on their roster over 6'-9", and Dia would also be about the heaviest player on their roster as well.

I don't know that he could reasonably assume that he was in line for more PT next season. CJS is active in the portal market for a big man, and he could easily move Smith to play a stretch 4 if he felt he had enough guards and wings between Manjon, Lewis, Lawrence, West and Roberts. It seems like a safe bet that you will get around 60 mpg between Manjon and Lawrence. If CJS picks up a good PF then he can play Smith at SF for 25-30 mpg, or if he picks up a strong wing then Smith takes those minutes to the 4. Either way it seems clear that CJS was looking for someone other than Dia to be the solution at the 4 next season and Dia did not do anything this year to suggest that CJS was making a mistake in making sure he had options.
Dsdore
Ensign

Post by Dsdore »

I expect he will a lot more playing time. I bet he blossoms into a really fine player. Wished we could have held on to him. I wish him well.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

He’s a local kid (Ensworth). Maybe family and friends are really important to him. Clearly he will be in line for far more PT. I don’t think this is a terrible move for him. Hope he succeeds.
MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

From an alum of Belmont (and lifelong fan of Vandy) who has followed Belmont for 30 years....this really makes total sense. He will be an immediate starter. Even Brauns, who has been the starting 5 spot guy the last 2 years since Muszynski graduated, went into the portal. Dia is the exact same size as Brauns, but has the 3 point shot that Brauns didn't have at all. He is honestly as perfect a fit for their offense as you can possibly get. I see him starting and being on the court 30+ minutes a game. And has the potential to be a big-time player in the MVC. Does he transfer again in a year or two? Maybe. But he was not going to be more than rotational player in the short-term for Vandy. Huge opportunity for him to make a name for himself.
As great a fit as offense is, honestly, the big question mark for me is his defense and rebounding, particular in the paint, because that's not something he was asked to do at Vandy playing more at the 4. Not that he can't do it, just haven't seen enough of that part of his game to really evaluate, and I am assuming he will play vs the opponent's center on defense. When I saw him do that occasionally at Vandy because he had to a few minutes, he struggled, but physicality is a LITTLE bit different in the MVC compared to the SEC ;) so it remains to be seen. Brauns was a monster at shot blocking and rebounding at 6'9", so he won't be undersized for the MVC.
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

I was under the impression that we wouldn't start to see announcements about who is going where until next month due to portal rules for non-graduate students. So, this post confuses me.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Which schools are interested in Brauns? Seems like he would have some interest.

At least a lateral move?
MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:50 am Which schools are interested in Brauns? Seems like he would have some interest.

At least a lateral move?
I haven't heard. To be honest, that one has confused me more than any Belmont move. He was really coming into his own last year. But his offensive game is so limited, and he's not a shooter. And at 6'9" he's going to be undersized at a bigger conference. He is truly a "paint" guy. Honestly for a bigger school he'd be a QMB kind of guy, except he doesn't have QMB's height. He has developed into an exceptional shot blocker - just has that timing down. And is an aggressive rebounder and above average defender. Again, it just doesn't make sense because there was NO ONE on the roster pushing him for any PT...he had as much as he could handle with PT at Belmont.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Did Brauns end up at Iowa??
MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:36 am Did Brauns end up at Iowa??
I actually just looked around and saw that unofficial discussion. That, then would actually make sense. That's where he's from and probably just a really cool opportunity kind of thing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic