Vols?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mtnvandy
Captain

Vols?

Post by mtnvandy »

Do we have a chance v UT?

An upset wld go a long way in improving my view of our team, coach and program.

MtnVandy

Jason94
Admiral

Re: Vols?

Post by Jason94 »

mtnvandy wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:31 am Do we have a chance v UT?

MtnVandy
We have a chance IMO - not a great one but they are beatable. It will have to start at the Center spot - can Robbins cause issues from UT inside? If not it might be a long night, but UT is playing a rotation at center and both players are big but a bit foul prone and neither are offensive stars.

UT is great defensively (this is probably understating things - their adjusted defensive rating is significantly better than any team over the last decade) - their guards create a ton of turnovers - Manjon has to be on top of his game, and IMO this is a horrible matchup for Thomas - UT puts pressure on the ball and doesn't allow teams to hit their threes. OTOH Thomas is due to hit a bunch so who knows? We will have to draw fouls - UT will foul you - probably their only defensive weakness.

On defense, we will have to crash the defensive glass - UT is not a great shooting team and they turn the ball over a bit much for a team ranked as highly as they are. But they lead the nation in offensive rebounding rate, grabbing a full 40% of their own misses. This number leads the nation and they have a number of players who are very active on the glass. We have been good protecting the defensive glass but we will have to take it up another level if we have a hope of winning.

This is one of those games where I would expect to see the freshmen a bit less, as it will be the most hostile environment they've seen to date and the best team we've faced to this point. They might get to play anyway if it is a blowout, which it could be. But I would be just fine with seeing their time reduced if it meant that we were in the game with 5 or 10 minutes to go.
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

Possible? Yes. But highly unlikely. Vandy would have to do something they haven't managed to do all season...play a complete game for 40 minutes. That means each player would have to play one of their best games of the year (more or less). And Vols would have to have an off-night.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Unfortunately, the Vawls have lapped us in Basketball, Football in recruiting, coaching, you name it. I predict a UT rout tomorrow night.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

No chance...hope to eat crow!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nashmann wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:20 am No chance...hope to eat crow!
Didn't their European semi-pro team beat SoCar by like 50 the other day?

I see we finally agree on something.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

Jason94 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:04 am

MtnVandy
We have a chance IMO - not a great one but they are beatable. ..
How did UT lose to Colorado by 12? (Edited this to remove typo on location.) Maybe CJS can find the takeaway from that. They also lost to ranked Arizona on the road. Colorado has lost 6 games including to Grambling.
Last edited by memphisVUalum on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

memphisVUalum wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:31 pm

MtnVandy
How did UT lose to Colorado at Knoxville by 12? Maybe CJS can find the takeaway from that. They also lost to ranked Arizona on the road. Colorado has lost 6 games including to Grambling.
Yeah - that is what I mean - it will be quite difficult, but not impossible - UT has shown they are beatable, though it will have to be an off night by them. Against Colorado they shot 25% from the floor - not 25% from three, but overall. Colorado limited UT on the offensive glass - UT had 12 offensive boards, but that was out of 48 chances. Colorado did not shoot particularly well overall, but hit their inside shots and made their FTA's.

I would think we have to be judicious about the threes we take - UT has played 15 games so far this season, and the best three point percentage they have allowed is a 5-15 night (33%) against USC. Teams average 21% from three against them and if we shoot 30 of threes and hit only 6 we will likely be a world of hurt. Pound the ball inside to Robbins and work the offense inside out, and hope UT has an off night shooting the ball, or we get lucky and hit some shots we don't usually hit. The computers show us as a 4% chance, but out talent is better than the computers are showing since we've played so poorly in several games that skews those numbers. We realistically have something like a 1 in 10 or 1 in 12 chance of actually winning the game.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Jason94 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:59 pm

How did UT lose to Colorado at Knoxville by 12? Maybe CJS can find the takeaway from that. They also lost to ranked Arizona on the road. Colorado has lost 6 games including to Grambling.
Yeah - that is what I mean - it will be quite difficult, but not impossible - UT has shown they are beatable, though it will have to be an off night by them. Against Colorado they shot 25% from the floor - not 25% from three, but overall. Colorado limited UT on the offensive glass - UT had 12 offensive boards, but that was out of 48 chances. Colorado did not shoot particularly well overall, but hit their inside shots and made their FTA's.

I would think we have to be judicious about the threes we take - UT has played 15 games so far this season, and the best three point percentage they have allowed is a 5-15 night (33%) against USC. Teams average 21% from three against them and if we shoot 30 of threes and hit only 6 we will likely be a world of hurt. Pound the ball inside to Robbins and work the offense inside out, and hope UT has an off night shooting the ball, or we get lucky and hit some shots we don't usually hit. The computers show us as a 4% chance, but out talent is better than the computers are showing since we've played so poorly in several games that skews those numbers. We realistically have something like a 1 in 10 or 1 in 12 chance of actually winning the game.
A friendly wager that VU takes more than 15 3's
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
FootballFan
Seaman

Post by FootballFan »

MtnVandy
UT/Colorado game was in Nashville. UT has won something like 24 games in a row at home.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

we're toast.
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

The team is going to upset 2-3 top 20 SEC teams. The Mizzu game was an indication that they can compete against to talent. It will just take a few minor tweaks.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I think a 5-10% chance of us winning sounds about right after the MO game. I sincerely think we do not have enough depth but after the MO game, like others, wondered if we have reached a better place as a team.
Nevertheless, a 90-95% chance of losing obviously stinks. Realistically I am hoping that we can keep it relatively close to keep the team's mojo high as they tackle a daunting series of upcoming games.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

dore74 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:33 am I think a 5-10% chance of us winning sounds about right after the MO game. I sincerely think we do not have enough depth but after the MO game, like others, wondered if we have reached a better place as a team.
Nevertheless, a 90-95% chance of losing obviously stinks. Realistically I am hoping that we can keep it relatively close to keep the team's mojo high as they tackle a daunting series of upcoming games.
This is one of the best teams in the nation on their home court in front of what will likely be 20,000+ fans. If UT loses at home this season, it will be only once I would guess.

We've pretty wildly underplayed to our overall ability however, which is why we have a chance to beat somebody this season. There is enough talent on this roster to make the tournament.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

MtnVandy
They lost the game against CO here in Nashville and not Knoxpatch.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

The line last night was ut favored by 19.5. Today, however, the line has dropped to 17.5. Furthermore, nothing is being said about this being a sandwich game as the vols just may be looking ahead to UK on Saturday.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

MtnVandy
Looking forward to a great win!
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Good thread, but I have to ask. Does everyone remember these will be SEC officials ?
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I want to see us play these guys tough. UT is really really good. I'd take us with the points but under no circumstances do I think we win this game.
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

Espn gives UT 97% to win
Locked Previous topicNext topic