Wasted Reilly

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Wasted Reilly

Post by GooseJones15 »

Can’t understand why we wasted Reilly last night in that game. Sure would be nice to have him available today!

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Wasted Reilly

Post by MrMemorial »

GooseJones15 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:13 pm Can’t understand why we wasted Reilly last night in that game. Sure would be nice to have him available today!
We all lover Corbs but don't have to always agree 100% with his decisions.

It's OK to second a coach. I used to disagree with Tony LaRussa's decisions (StL) sometimes.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I suspect Corbin is questioning Corbin after these past 2 games.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

I suspect with one out in the bottom of the 2nd, down 7-0, Corbin had not thrown in the towel, but was instead considering options to stay close and give his boys a fighting chance to recover and win. Remember the comeback win from a bigger hole vs Ole Miss in the 2019 SEC championship game? I further suspect the game plan going in was to bring in Reilly if more than three innings of relief was needed.

And to be fair, Reilly has only pitched more than five innings once, that 7 inning beauty he tossed vs Alabama last May. He rarely goes more than three innings before losing the strike zone. His performance yesterday was the second best of his career. Had Corbs known Reilly was going to step out of normal performance parameters, he may well have held him for Saturday.

Carolina stepped up, played excellent defense (after a very ugly 1st inning), found a lot holes on routinely hit balls (sometimes it's good to be lucky), and were very aggressive offensively, particularly putting good wood on pitches left out over the plate (too many of those today). They've certainly struggled at times this year, but they're a tough out at home, just ask then-#1 Texas who also lost 2 of 3 in Columbia.

Baseball is a long season, losing a series on the road is not a season killer. I'm looking forward the the Ugly Orange coming to Hawkins next week, it's gonna be fun!
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

Can't compare 2019 to this team. Corbs may have though they could bounce back and score 7 rums. But this lineup cannot hit. The pitching is good enough and like I said before the season starts Little should have transferred. The writing is on the wall. The fact that all the classes that big Jew recruited are gone , your new RC is just not as good. Get used to being a mediocre SEC team for a few seasons.
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

I’m not so optimistic about next weekend . Tennessee is very very good and can really rake! I think we will be lucky to not get swept!
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

PinkFloyd wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:47 pm Can't compare 2019 to this team. Corbs may have though they could bounce back and score 7 rums. But this lineup cannot hit. The pitching is good enough and like I said before the season starts Little should have transferred. The writing is on the wall. The fact that all the classes that big Jew recruited are gone , your new RC is just not as good. Get used to being a mediocre SEC team for a few seasons.
Pink, of course this isn't the 2019 team, no team is. That was one of the greatest college baseball teams ever fielded. I was merely using the Ole Miss game to acknowledge Yogi Berra--"It ain't over til it's over."

I'm not sure how you measure a lineup's ability to hit. This team's strikeouts are down compared to the last several years and since Hawaii they've actually regularly been putting the ball in play, going with the pitch, not looking to hit a home run on every swing. This team can hit well enough.

You remain cryptic regarding Little and transferring. I would appreciate an explanation why you believe that. And what writing is on the wall? And what mediocrity do you see?

As far as your comments on recruiting, the one comes across as racist. I don't know who you're referring to, but I don't particularly appreciate it the tenor of it.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I question the line up change. We were doing pretty well with some of the big hitters in the bottom half. Move them up and they've done very little.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

PinkFloyd wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:47 pm Can't compare 2019 to this team. Corbs may have though they could bounce back and score 7 rums. But this lineup cannot hit. The pitching is good enough and like I said before the season starts Little should have transferred. The writing is on the wall. The fact that all the classes that big Jew recruited are gone , your new RC is just not as good. Get used to being a mediocre SEC team for a few seasons.
I disagree with the comments regarding pitching and hitting. I, for one, am more concerned about the former. On offense (IMO), our catcher, SS, 2B, RF, and CF are all excellent hitters. With 3B it's a little early yet, but I am optimistic. LF has been fluid, so I have no opinion there. The DH (Bulger for the most part) has been a step down, and 1B, of course, has been 3 steps down. But for the most part, I am happy with this group as a whole.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

First of all, my opinion on Little transferring has absolutely nothing to do with race. And I am offended you would even bring that up. His playing time will continue to go down the longer he is at Vanderbilt. He doesn't kiss the boot. He embarrassed Corbs in the last CWS. As for the teams hitting , the schedule is the easiest in many years . The defense is weak. This team is more like the 2018 team. Corbs had a lot of success and in the past recruited minor, gray , hill, Cotham, Price, Hickman , Smith etc. His national recruiting is starting to hurt ... he missed on Burns at UT likely a top three pitcher in the SEC definate first rd pick, Dickey a top hitter in the SEC... is better than any hitter on the Vandy staff. I am scouting that series next week so have been doing some homework. t Not saying you have to recruite your back yard but it helps during the down years. Does this team hunt fastballs? No they try to work a count and more times than not they get in bad counts. The road in the SEC this year is not your friend. JMHO
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

PinkFloyd wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:45 pm First of all, my opinion on Little transferring has absolutely nothing to do with race. And I am offended you would even bring that up. His playing time will continue to go down the longer he is at Vanderbilt. He doesn't kiss the boot. He embarrassed Corbs in the last CWS. As for the teams hitting , the schedule is the easiest in many years . The defense is weak. This team is more like the 2018 team. Corbs had a lot of success and in the past recruited minor, gray , hill, Cotham, Price, Hickman , Smith etc. His national recruiting is starting to hurt ... he missed on Burns at UT likely a top three pitcher in the SEC definate first rd pick, Dickey a top hitter in the SEC... is better than any hitter on the Vandy staff. I am scouting that series next week so have been doing some homework. t Not saying you have to recruite your back yard but it helps during the down years. Does this team hunt fastballs? No they try to work a count and more times than not they get in bad counts. The road in the SEC this year is not your friend. JMHO
Pink, I appreciate your response. To be clear, my race concern had nothing whatsoever to do with Little or any of the Black players on the team. It was about your reference to a "Jew" recruiter which sounded pejorative. If I misperceived, my apologies, but it sounded wrong.

As for your baseball observations, I've always thought you have good insights and knowledge, so when you make comments without explanation, it gets my attention. Why has the recruiting suffered? How did Little embarrass Corbs in Omaha? Was it his performance? What is Tennessee doing to recruit players away from Vandy? Has Corbs made any adjustments in that regard?

You are the closest to an inside source I've perceived on this board. When you speak, I listen, though I don't know what your role is. Professional scout? That would explain a lot.
blackgold61
Lieutenant

Post by blackgold61 »

Levon wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:23 pm
PinkFloyd wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:45 pm First of all, my opinion on Little transferring has absolutely nothing to do with race. And I am offended you would even bring that up. His playing time will continue to go down the longer he is at Vanderbilt. He doesn't kiss the boot. He embarrassed Corbs in the last CWS. As for the teams hitting , the schedule is the easiest in many years . The defense is weak. This team is more like the 2018 team. Corbs had a lot of success and in the past recruited minor, gray , hill, Cotham, Price, Hickman , Smith etc. His national recruiting is starting to hurt ... he missed on Burns at UT likely a top three pitcher in the SEC definate first rd pick, Dickey a top hitter in the SEC... is better than any hitter on the Vandy staff. I am scouting that series next week so have been doing some homework. t Not saying you have to recruite your back yard but it helps during the down years. Does this team hunt fastballs? No they try to work a count and more times than not they get in bad counts. The road in the SEC this year is not your friend. JMHO
Pink, I appreciate your response. To be clear, my race concern had nothing whatsoever to do with Little or any of the Black players on the team. It was about your reference to a "Jew" recruiter which sounded pejorative. If I misperceived, my apologies, but it sounded wrong.

As for your baseball observations, I've always thought you have good insights and knowledge, so when you make comments without explanation, it gets my attention. Why has the recruiting suffered? How did Little embarrass Corbs in Omaha? Was it his performance? What is Tennessee doing to recruit players away from Vandy? Has Corbs made any adjustments in that regard?

You are the closest to an inside source I've perceived on this board. When you speak, I listen, though I don't know what your role is. Professional scout? That would explain a lot.
I’m thinking his comment was about Travis Jewett, former assistant coach
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

blackgold61 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:24 pm
Levon wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:23 pm

I’m thinking his comment was about Travis Jewett, former assistant coach
That makes so much sense...and makes me feel simultaneously a bit moronic and most relieved.

Pink, my apologies. Mea culpa.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Nickname was BigJew..

Did we offer Dickey and Burns and they chose Vawls?..I can see how a kid might want to play for a younger, more "hip" coach in Vitiello. Vawls are good and they will stay good for awhile..
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Back to the original post here- I know what you were saying, but I think we learned a little more about Reilly and he is on the verge of cracking the rotation with more consistency in longer outings.

Corbin is always weighing what is to come in June and not necessarily what happens tomorrow. Some things may not be obvious now, but Corbs has a plan, and being able to count on Reilly to go 6-7 innings in June is far more important than giving him several short stints over multiple days in March.
Locked Previous topicNext topic