Major Transfers Out of Missouri

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Major Transfers Out of Missouri

Post by MikeADore »

Two major players and one with supposedly high potential are leaving the Missouri program, the most notable of which is 6’0 Aijha Blackwell. Great player who can score, rebound and defend. Somewhere along the line, she very much got at cross purposes with coach Robin Pingeton and got suspended for several games late in the season, and even when she returned, she was still obviously still somewhat in the dog house. Even before the suspension, there was a noticeable attitude change in that she was jumping around, yelling and thumping her chest when she made a play, which is something she had not done in previous seasons. She just finished her junior year. I could see a Coach Yo or Kim Mulkey in her future.

Ladazhia Williams, 6'4, is also moving along as a grad transfer. She was a big part of the team, especially during games where Blackwell was hurt or suspended. Very crafty on the offensive end. Plays hard. She transferred in from South Carolina but still has a covid year left since she sat out the 2019-20 season after transferring.

The one with the supposed great potential is freshman Kiya Dorroh, a 6’1 wing who was a top 50 recruit in this year’s (2021) class. She didn’t play a lot, and I don’t know a lot about her. Very athletic looking kid from Arizona.

Pingeton has some talent coming in, and while she’s losing some size, there are still four 6’3 players on the roster.

vandyfan52
Ensign

Re: Major Transfers Out of Missouri

Post by vandyfan52 »

I remember Kiya Dorroh had Vandy as a finalist out of high school but that was with the old coaching regime.
With thirteen scholarship players (this includes Kiara) next year, I would like to see us add a transfer or graduate transfer if we find an appropriate fit.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

vandyfan52 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:15 pm I remember Kiya Dorroh had Vandy as a finalist out of high school but that was with the old coaching regime.
With thirteen scholarship players (this includes Kiara) next year, I would like to see us add a transfer or graduate transfer if we find an appropriate fit.
You are correct. She had Vandy in her top 10, still had them there in the top 5, then wound up picking Mizzou. Kiara is no longer on the roster since publicly announcing she can't play any more because of her knees. Hopefully, Vandy will find some way to accommodate her if she wants to finish her degree here. I have absolutely no idea what she plans to do, though.

Good to hear from you again, vandyfan52. Any recruiting news coming your way? I find it frustrating trying to come up with anything.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Whatever happened to the guard from Baxter TN who transferred from Mizzou, then transferred out without ever playing a game here?
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:48 pm Whatever happened to the guard from Baxter TN who transferred from Mizzou, then transferred out without ever playing a game here?
I believe you are referring to Akira Levy. She is now at Cincinnati. They finished 11-17 this season.
SV#
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:48 pm Whatever happened to the guard from Baxter TN who transferred from Mizzou, then transferred out without ever playing a game here?
Transferred to Cincinnati where she was the starting point guard this year. Akira Levy was her name. I seem to remember someone saying the Cincinnati coach was formerly at Western Kentucky and had recruited Levy in high school.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VandyDan quick on the trigger. :mrgreen:
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

thanks all. maybe she found what she was looking for in her third choice.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Another Mizzou player, freshman guard Izzy Higginbottom, who got a lot of playing time, announced she is transferring to Arkansas State. Four players, three of them major contributors, out the door in recent days. Weird. Arkansas State is in Higginbottom's home town.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:56 pm thanks all. maybe she found what she was looking for in her third choice.
She's in the transfer portal.
Locked Previous topicNext topic