Third Georgia Game Thread

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: Third Georgia Game Thread

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Georgiadore wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:02 pm Perhaps time to ask uga to leave the SEC. Just not competitive. :)
Post of the Day! :lol:

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Weikert with the quadruple pump fake! Lol
The whole bench was ready for it three times in a row.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Great to see the whole team smiling and really getting into it. This is what it's all about
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Oh man we are running it up. I'm sure we will lose by 20 tomorrow but tonight was fun
wbl
Rear Admiral

Post by wbl »

Impressive win…bet the NIT selection committee notices…
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Hope we can do this tomorrow. I live in Alabama and already have had two friends texting me about tomorrow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

35 point butt whipping of Georgia. And we get the 3-game sweep over the dogs. Fifth largest margin of a win in SEC Tourney history.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

Best possible outcome for day 1. Blowout, rest our starters. Bring on the Tide.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Glad the game allowed us to rest our starters. Best all around game except for the slow start. Awesome win guys!!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Argument could be made that playing this kind of game on day 1 may have been more beneficial than a day one bye, especially after a shaky close to the regular season (caveat being the gritty road win in Oxford). Getting everyone back and easing Chatman and Mann into the lineup in a game where everyone is playing is a nice confidence boost heading into a tough matchup with Bama.

Also, as of this moment after the win, VU is #69 in the kenpom ranking. Frankly, barring a meltdown in the Bama game, not making the NIT would be a darn shame. Of course, best bet is to win it outright.
Souldore
Rear Admiral

Post by Souldore »

We can win tomorrow!!! :) Go Dores!!!
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

GA is a terrible team, with only one or two quality players. Against us their shooting was awful. Part of that was our defense; part of it their lack of good players.

On TV the announcers commented that many of their players from last year transferred out in the (dreaded) portal. That leads me to the conclusion that a coach must not only have coaching skills, but must be able to massage the egos of their players so the players stay.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

It was great to see the whole team involved and having fun together. It was a great night to be a Commodore.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I had forgotten how it feels to feel a little bit sorry for the other team. What a great win for our guys.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:28 am I had forgotten how it feels to feel a little bit sorry for the other team. What a great win for our guys.
Oquendo was supposed to be a bigshot juco player or whatever type school it was he played at for a year before UGA and then averaged 15ppg in D-1 ball. For him to sleepwalk through that game last night? I don't know the kid personally, but it wouldn't be a shock if he hits the portal for a 3rd school in 3 years.

They beat Bama not long ago. I pretty much don't feel sorry for them. And what does that say about Nate Oats for losing to them? Wasn't there a spirited debate on here not long ago: Is Oates a good coach or does he in reality blow? (per the talent level he currently has, less than 20 wins is a disgrace imho)
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:29 am
Foreverhopeful wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:28 am I had forgotten how it feels to feel a little bit sorry for the other team. What a great win for our guys.
Oquendo was supposed to be a bigshot juco player or whatever type school it was he played at for a year before UGA and then averaged 15ppg in D-1 ball. For him to sleepwalk through that game last night? I don't know the kid personally, but it wouldn't be a shock if he hits the portal for a 3rd school in 3 years.

They beat Bama not long ago. I pretty much don't feel sorry for them. And what does that say about Nate Oats for losing to them? Wasn't there a spirited debate on here not long ago: Is Oates a good coach or does he in reality blow? (per the talent level he currently has, less than 20 wins is a disgrace imho)
UGA doesn't play with effort on defense - there were several plays that our guys practically waltzed into the lane for a layup. But good for them to lay down for us so our starters could rest most of the 2nd half. We have a legit chance to beat Bama - we had to play Thomas 17 minutes against them and he got abused defensively against them in a way that Chatman will not. Bama is just a bad matchup for Thomas.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:01 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:29 am

UGA doesn't play with effort on defense - there were several plays that our guys practically waltzed into the lane for a layup. But good for them to lay down for us so our starters could rest most of the 2nd half. We have a legit chance to beat Bama - we had to play Thomas 17 minutes against them and he got abused defensively against them in a way that Chatman will not. Bama is just a bad matchup for Thomas.
#1.... the bracket pool sign-up is pinned up top

#2... Central Michigan (7-23) just played 25-win Toledo to the final buzzer in the MAC tourney, so...
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

admin wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:28 pm 35 point butt whipping of Georgia. And we get the 3-game sweep over the dogs. Fifth largest margin of a win in SEC Tourney history.

For the record -- and posterity:
VU 86
UGa 51

(And thanks to Roanoke for at least posting the halftime score at the time.)
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Locked Previous topicNext topic