Change has Come to West End

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Lynchsr
Captain

Change has Come to West End

Post by Lynchsr »

I realize this may be stating the obvious, but Coach Lea is a different type of coach.

In listening to his post practice press conference (1st ever practice as a HC), he conducts himself with such composure. The statement (paraphrase, not the exact quote) no one outside of this program can determine the value of this program - is in my opinion the perfect message. No writer, no other program determines VU is a doormat, it is the players/coaches/administration and their work, discipline, and execution that determines the worth of the football team. It just seems to resonate with me.

He spoke of being a developmental program, meaning developing players. and also mentioned paying attention to very specific little details which lead to bigger growth/consistency/improvement. Too many times in the past 2 years a VU player would make an untimely mistake (Defense offsides on 3rd and 4, an unsportsmanlike penalty on offense after a big run on a good drive and set up 1st and 25, etc) and yes CDM would get upset and talk to the player, BUT the mistake kept happening week after week. I am willing to bet a large sum of money, VU doesn't have many self inflicted penalties this year under CCL. I think the practise culture and the overall culture of the program won't tolerate mental mistakes. Players will demand more from each other. I also remember the Deuce teams not committing many penalties and still losing, so I am not equating less penalties to more wins, BUT little things add up over the course of a game and season.

My expectation is for significant fewer mistakes (Penalties), fewer fundamental errors (Stopping the clock with the lead, mis-tackles, etc.) and less individual excess and more team energy.

Also based on his press conference, it seems his transition from DC/Position coach to a CEO type HC is happening and will happen much faster than CDM. He talked about tempo, reps, drills of all position players and seemed to be very observant of the big picture going on at practice and making notes of specific items to discuss with assistants post practice. Not to sell CDM short and say he didn't do this, but he was never able to articulate it in such a way.

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Re: Change has Come to West End

Post by dallasdore »

I think that hiring an alum to come home and coach us was an outstanding decision. Our program now is in similar shape to what it was when CCL was here. We have ADCSL who was a student athlete here, CCL who was a student athlete here, several CL assistant coaches who were student athletes here. What is important about that is that a) they have school pride built in them, which gives them skin in the game instead of just a paycheck and career success like most; and b) they know the culture here and the pros/cons of Vanderbilt competing against the best in the nation.

I have no doubt in my mind that Lea has a blueprint in mind on how to build a winning program AT VANDERBILT. Now, we're going to suck next year, and probably the year after that, but I think within 4 years we will be back to making bowl season travel plans and having an upward trajectory after that.

Lea was a heckuva hire.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Lynchsr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:03 am
He spoke of being a developmental program, meaning developing players. and also mentioned paying attention to very specific little details which lead to bigger growth/consistency/improvement. Too many times in the past 2 years a VU player would make an untimely mistake (Defense offsides on 3rd and 4, an unsportsmanlike penalty on offense after a big run on a good drive and set up 1st and 25, etc) and yes CDM would get upset and talk to the player, BUT the mistake kept happening week after week. I am willing to bet a large sum of money, VU doesn't have many self inflicted penalties this year under CCL. I think the practise culture and the overall culture of the program won't tolerate mental mistakes. Players will demand more from each other. I also remember the Deuce teams not committing many penalties and still losing, so I am not equating less penalties to more wins, BUT little things add up over the course of a game and season.
I'm not here to bang on our former coaches--they're gone and we're three months into a new era. But the lack of attention to detail is probably the thing that drove me craziest about the last staff. By year seven you shouldn't still be seeing things like two players wearing the same jersey number on special teams, even during the time of Covid and shuffled rosters. It was good to hear Lea bring up his irritation with a horn going off inadvertently in the middle of practice as a sign that at least this one thing might be different this year. When you're Vanderbilt and already outmanned and outresourced, the little things make all the difference.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Auric, didn't we get called TWICE last year for the two players with same number gaffe? I thought once was on offense and once on special teams.

And to think, I don't believe I'd ever seen any team ever do that before, even once. Ever. I'm sure it has happened, but still.

Don't forget, in the Temple game we were flagged on the first play of the game for a jersey violation. We were doomed from the start.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

dallasdore wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:05 am Auric, didn't we get called TWICE last year for the two players with same number gaffe? I thought once was on offense and once on special teams.

And to think, I don't believe I'd ever seen any team ever do that before, even once. Ever. I'm sure it has happened, but still.

Don't forget, in the Temple game we were flagged on the first play of the game for a jersey violation. We were doomed from the start.
I think you're right, which is probably the reason I remember it. I know it happened vs. Ole Miss on special teams.
Locked Previous topicNext topic