David Price talks pitching and making changes

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VanDSIRROM
Admiral

David Price talks pitching and making changes

Post by VanDSIRROM »

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.s ... ef_24.html

"I think it's just all about trying to set the hitter up the way that I either set him up in the past or knowing the way I set him up in the past and so I kinda want to do something opposite of that. And kinda just pitching backwards...I'm reading swings, body language, how they took a certain pitch, Price added. What their hands are doing. Their leg kick. Everything. I'm taking that all into account. And trying to process what pitch is going to set up my next pitch or the pitch after that to get the best results."

Really interesting learning what's going on in his mind when he's on the mound, etc.

"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: David Price talks pitching and making changes

Post by Good2BGold »

VanDSIRROM wrote:https://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.s ... ef_24.html

"I think it's just all about trying to set the hitter up the way that I either set him up in the past or knowing the way I set him up in the past and so I kinda want to do something opposite of that. And kinda just pitching backwards...I'm reading swings, body language, how they took a certain pitch, Price added. What their hands are doing. Their leg kick. Everything. I'm taking that all into account. And trying to process what pitch is going to set up my next pitch or the pitch after that to get the best results."

Really interesting learning what's going on in his mind when he's on the mound, etc.
Great read. Thanks for sharing. I loved this (except that Derek isn't associate head coach):

Red Sox lefty David Price learned to call his own game as a sophomore in college from then-Vanderbilt pitching coach Derek Johnson who now serves as Commodores associate head coach.

Johnson and Price sat together in the dugout breaking down opposing lineups each Friday, the day Price started. They did it while the other team took batting practice.

"We'd break down the other team's lineup 1-9," Price told MassLive.com. "Be like, 'This is the five-hole guy.' See how he's standing in the box, whether he's open or he's closed (stance). Seeing where his hands start. The type of leg kick. Whether he closes himself off to the plate or kind of steps out toward third base if he's a right-handed hitter. Looking at stuff like that will kind of tell you where that hitter wants the baseball and where he can do damage with the baseball as well."
geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: David Price talks pitching and making changes

Post by geeznotagain »

The dumber a pitcher is, the better.

-- Dizzy Dean
Locked Previous topicNext topic