Main VandyMania.com Page

POLITICAL, RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS DISCUSSIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

Help Wanted

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

VandyDan78

Help Wanted

Postby VandyDan78 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:02 am

Just ran across this post on Facebook. Also, anybody have an update on Chelsie’s knee and Brinae’s injury in the last game?
Attachments
5A849123-EAC8-4D25-97F2-4E1662064245.jpeg
5A849123-EAC8-4D25-97F2-4E1662064245.jpeg (181.16 KiB) Viewed 702 times

dore43

Re: Help Wanted

Postby dore43 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:37 am

Thank goodness the coaching staff is doing this.

If any referee crew calls a game excessively tight - we might be down to less than five players (we almost were v. Kansas State).

abvandy

Postby abvandy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:35 pm

Sorta wish they had done this 3 or 4 months ago.

CONQUER!!..., and PREVAIL!!!

Ndorefin

Postby Ndorefin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:07 pm

It seems I recall Paige Warren stayed at VU but gave up basketball...can anyone confirm? Surely, they could talk her into coming back. Most of the females enrolled at Vandy are there solely for academics...it will be difficult to find some who want to give their free time for the rigors of basketball. At least, we could offer them a free ride for a semester!

VandyDan78

Postby VandyDan78 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:46 pm

You are right. It would be ideal if they could snag her back for the team. At least she is semi-familiar with everyone. Somethings gotta happen and soon.

dore43

Postby dore43 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Ndorefin wrote:It seems I recall Paige Warren stayed at VU but gave up basketball...can anyone confirm? Surely, they could talk her into coming back. Most of the females enrolled at Vandy are there solely for academics...it will be difficult to find some who want to give their free time for the rigors of basketball. At least, we could offer them a free ride for a semester!

Paige is at VU, but I would have to wonder if she would return to a situation where CSW blew a year of eligibility for her over six minutes. It appeared CSW was trying to run Paige off instead of just redshirting her.

Bree said she's coming back December 28 according to this interview with Andrew Maraniss.
http://vucommodores.com/news/2018/12/4/ ... rocks.aspx

I did not see or listen to tonight's game, but I hope we are continuing to play 2-3 zone and other variants from now on in hopes of keeping everyone out of foul trouble.

Did Ball State full-court press? I would question any opposing coach who is not doing that right now.

VandyDan78

Postby VandyDan78 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:10 am

Ball State focused on kaleigh Clemons-Green mostly. She had 9-10 turnovers alone. I do think that this Ball State team is not the same team as the past few years. They are young and made a lot of bad mistakes. Brinae has had a horrible couple of games. I feel bad for her. Hopefully her knee isn’t too badly injured.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:25 am

VandyDan78 wrote:Ball State focused on kaleigh Clemons-Green mostly. She had 9-10 turnovers alone. I do think that this Ball State team is not the same team as the past few years. They are young and made a lot of bad mistakes. Brinae has had a horrible couple of games. I feel bad for her. Hopefully her knee isn’t too badly injured.

Clemons-Green also played the entire 40 minutes and had 5 steals and 5 assists along with 8 points.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g

dore43

Postby dore43 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:02 am

Wasn't there a year when Sue Gunter's LSU team was down to 6 scholarship players where they made an improbable run in the SEC Tournament until we beat them in the championship? It got to the point that they were basically resting on offense every time until the last 6-7 seconds on the shot clock. If I recall they pulled an enormous upset v. UT. Anyone else remember this or am I getting more confused with age?
Last edited by dore43 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeADore

Postby MikeADore » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:14 am

admin wrote:
VandyDan78 wrote:Ball State focused on kaleigh Clemons-Green mostly. She had 9-10 turnovers alone. I do think that this Ball State team is not the same team as the past few years. They are young and made a lot of bad mistakes. Brinae has had a horrible couple of games. I feel bad for her. Hopefully her knee isn’t too badly injured.

Clemons-Green also played the entire 40 minutes and had 5 steals and 5 assists along with 8 points.

Ah, you forgot the most impressive number, Don: She had nine rebounds. For her to rebound at all is a testament to her grit. She's pretty slow and can't jump. But, she wants it. She also has a bit of a nasty streak that I like.

As for the full-court press, Ball State did try it. It either resulted in a Vandy turnover or a wide-open layup most of the time. It's obviously not something they normally do, and from what I was hearing, they often got lost in their assignments. Clemons-Green is not a point guard by any stretch of the imagination, and she found herself double teamed and turning the ball over at times. But, when we handled the pressure, it was easy money.

Walker does a good job setting up the offense from the point when called upon, but she is not a press breaker. In other words, hurry back Chelsie Hall. Meanwhile, kudoes to Clemons-Green and Walker for their work.

Also, a word of praise for LeaLea Carter. I don't know what misfires with her when she shoots the ball. Time after time she does high level things to get herself in position to score and simply can't hit the shot. Against Kansas State she shot an open jumper from eight feet in front of the goal and totally missed the rim and banged it off the backboard. But, she has become one of the best rebounders on the team, and her defense has improved. She has found a way to use her never-in-doubt athleticism to help the team by doing the dirty work. Lord, if the girl could just shoot the ball, she'd be a force to be reckoned with in this league.

Ndorefin

Postby Ndorefin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:58 pm

^^^ This!!

Return to “Vanderbilt Women's Basketball”