Main VandyMania.com Page

POLITICAL, RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS DISCUSSIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

Watched last night's game ~ no sense of offense

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates


abvandy
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:10 am
Contact:

Re: Watched last night's game ~ no sense of offense

Postby abvandy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:33 pm

I thought it got better in the second half...

CONQUER!!..., and PREVAIL!!!

EllistonVU
Posts: 1080
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:13 am
Contact:

Re: Watched last night's game ~ no sense of offense

Postby EllistonVU » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Matheta wrote:Yes we have some players but the game looked like an AAU game.


I've been saying that all season, that it looks like glorified rec center ball in the halfcourt. They run the break good though. If every possession could be a fast break... (would require getting a ton of defensive boards and steals)... right coach?

OldDude
Posts: 2039
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Watched last night's game ~ no sense of offense

Postby OldDude » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Legit comments. We did win handily, but MTSU was replacing all 5 starters and was horrible from 3. Such a low percentage is not just fairly solid defense ( though the guys did play much better D), it was just awful shooting on some fairly good looks. Happy for a good win, but they do have to start looking like a team on offense.

Vandamnit
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:13 am
Contact:

Re: Watched last night's game ~ no sense of offense

Postby Vandamnit » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:25 pm

I saw improvement. We had 9 assists vs NC State and 13 versus MTSU. That is a move in the right direction. Fast breaks happened because defense improved. That was the focus of practice this week (according to CBD) and seemed to be a good way to spend the practice week. I said in a previous post (and believe) that it will take some time to retool the offense. When the coaching staff and players spend an entire preseason developng a system that revolves around the best point guard to ever wear a Vandy jersey, reworking the cogs will take some time. I'll settle for weekly improvement. Like we saw Wed eve.





User avatar
charlestonalum
Posts: 8232
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:37 am
Location: Charleston, SC
Contact:

Re: Watched last night's game ~ no sense of offense

Postby charlestonalum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 pm

It was an improved performance for sure. Defense was better, 3-point and foul shooting much better, and the fast breaks really impressive. I'll take this much improvement each game every night.

DeefromAtlanta
Posts: 7336
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Watched last night's game ~ no sense of offense

Postby DeefromAtlanta » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 am

ASU will be a good measuring stick. I imagine we'll be a 10 pt dog.

nyyankeeDore
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: Watched last night's game ~ no sense of offense

Postby nyyankeeDore » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:51 pm

DeefromAtlanta wrote:ASU will be a good measuring stick. I imagine we'll be a 10 pt dog.


I would guess pick'em to Arizona State by 2. But it will definitely be a difficult game (especially late in exam period) and a great game to win.

DeefromAtlanta
Posts: 7336
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Watched last night's game ~ no sense of offense

Postby DeefromAtlanta » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:56 pm

nyyankeeDore wrote:
DeefromAtlanta wrote:ASU will be a good measuring stick. I imagine we'll be a 10 pt dog.


I would guess pick'em to Arizona State by 2. But it will definitely be a difficult game (especially late in exam period) and a great game to win.


I thought it was out there. I forgot it was here last year. I still say ASU is favored by four or more. And for grins, I'll say O/U at 152.5. 8-)

What do you think the loss of Garland does to our valuation?

nyyankeeDore
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: Watched last night's game ~ no sense of offense

Postby nyyankeeDore » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:46 am

DeefromAtlanta wrote:
nyyankeeDore wrote:
DeefromAtlanta wrote:ASU will be a good measuring stick. I imagine we'll be a 10 pt dog.


I would guess pick'em to Arizona State by 2. But it will definitely be a difficult game (especially late in exam period) and a great game to win.


I thought it was out there. I forgot it was here last year. I still say ASU is favored by four or more. And for grins, I'll say O/U at 152.5. 8-)

What do you think the loss of Garland does to our valuation?


Maybe 3 or 4 points, enough to alter the predicted and actual results (eg., Kent State game) of a few games over the course of a season.






Return to “Vanderbilt Men's Basketball”